• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Disposable Heart has hit some of this right on the head. Obama again wants to level the playing field by having no exclusive neighborhoods. Yes, just one more way he is screwing us.

Obama?s last act is to force suburbs to be less white and less wealthy | New York Post

So for those of us that worked hard to get away from bad areas, it makes no difference if Obama gets his way.

Except under Bush 2, section 8 were bussed from Chicago to Ames, Iowa. Giant apartment complexes were built there for housing. And you can guess what happened there!

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    OP: don't break your lease.

Document every. single. incident. that happens that you're privy to and party to. Document everything. Every time a neighbor's barking dog keeps you awake at night - document it. Report it to the leasing office.

Loud neighbor music when you can't enjoy peace and quiet inside your own apartment - document it and report it.

Need to call the site security/courtesy officer? Document it and report it. Call LEO for something - document and report.

Pretty soon you'll have quite a list of things that speak against the complex and your lease - especially the section of your lease that may be titled "peaceable use" of your own apartment.

You may be "let" out of your lease without incurring penalty.

I lived 5 years at a complex south of Stop 11 just off of Shelby. And another 1 year in a condo at the complex immediately south of that one. I don't know that I'd live there today - but there are certainly worse places.

marmion

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    OP: don't break your lease.

Document every. single. incident. that happens that you're privy to and party to. Document everything. Every time a neighbor's barking dog keeps you awake at night - document it. Report it to the leasing office.

Loud neighbor music when you can't enjoy peace and quiet inside your own apartment - document it and report it.

Need to call the site security/courtesy officer? Document it and report it. Call LEO for something - document and report.

Pretty soon you'll have quite a list of things that speak against the complex and your lease - especially the section of your lease that may be titled "peaceable use" of your own apartment.

You may be "let" out of your lease without incurring penalty.

I lived 5 years at a complex south of Stop 11 just off of Shelby. And another 1 year in a condo at the complex immediately south of that one. I don't know that I'd live there today - but there are certainly worse places.

This is fantastic advice. I would add that your documentation will result in a much more solid legal argument the more details you have. Most importantly the date and times of the incidents should be clearly recorded. It is very easy to educate yourself on Indiana tenant/landlord laws. Take a look and make sure to "build a case" to break your lease that fits into IN law.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    This is fantastic advice. I would add that your documentation will result in a much more solid legal argument the more details you have. Most importantly the date and times of the incidents should be clearly recorded. It is very easy to educate yourself on Indiana tenant/landlord laws. Take a look and make sure to "build a case" to break your lease that fits into IN law.

And, off to the classified you go.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Some good posts and comments about this situation. I can appreciate the OP's dilemma of feeling stuck in a place he doesn't want to be anymore. I would be inclined to find a way to leave as quickly as possible myself.

The part I have mixed feelings about is that if good people continue to take flight, eventually we'll run out of places to run. Good for you for doing what you could to stand your ground, step in for the couple who was outnumbered, and help the authorities.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If I remember correctly CM you live a little bit east of my parents. They had the same plans of leaving the area but finances and jobs have kept them here. Dad will retire from impd in about 2 years and mom can retire in I think 8. I moved into the border of speedway and indianapolis. But being in this area just for my short 25 3/4 years have worn me out. I've worked for my brother doing rehabs and have seen what section 8 brings and what goes on in the houses when your doing service calls. They have since stopped doing section 8 because it was a whole remodel of the same property over and over.

Most of the the trouble does come from rental properties. You have people who move in from out of town so they have no ties to the area and move to another area to cause the same problems at the next stop.

Yes I am pretty close. I think I know where they live just from seeing the cruiser parked.
    Our area has settled down 95% over 4 years ago.
    I attribute this to the influx of some hard working Hispanic family's buying up the houses and investing in them. They have in effect ran the vermin out for the most part save for those we call the walkers that we know are out of the Apt. complexes looking for the odd item they can come back and take later.
    I would also like to thank the tireless efforts of the local LEO. These efforts have done so much to quite the stupidity. The stupid are having a much harder time remainging in the shadows.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Except under Bush 2, section 8 were bussed from Chicago to Ames, Iowa. Giant apartment complexes were built there for housing. And you can guess what happened there!

Same thing that happened in Texas and other states that took in Katrina refugees.
    Not all of those folks are bad apples but enough are to raise the crime rate considerably.

squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    I do want to live here. I've been documenting everything. The property manager has said they are looking at ways to evict the trouble makers. Once they are out the place will calm down and I think be a good place to live.

Hopper, I'm thinking we need to start fighting back and standing up for our communities. Regardless of the "color" of the person I think pushing back and expecting good behavior from our neighbors is a good idea.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Like was said upthread, thugs are mobile and just moving leaves a vacuum for the thugs to fill. In other words you can run but you can't hide. The flip side of that is where are you running to? That isolated house on the prarie in God's country just might be an appealing target for cletus and bubba the meth-heads.
    Networking with good neighbors and being quick to call the heat on the thugs (and go "Bronson" on them if they try to retaliate) seems to be the best solution--unless you live in the midst of a bunch of itinerant residents. Just about everything apt. living sucks, including the thin walls.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I do want to live here. I've been documenting everything. The property manager has said they are looking at ways to evict the trouble makers. Once they are out the place will calm down and I think be a good place to live.

Hopper, I'm thinking we need to start fighting back and standing up for our communities. Regardless of the "color" of the person I think pushing back and expecting good behavior from our neighbors is a good idea.

My personal opinion is that this is disingenuous. Your first post made that clear.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Totally skipped this thread, but caught the last few posts.

Interesting sidenote: one of the biggest Section 8 housing developers, including some in the aforementioned Iowa, is a company called Pedcor. Based right here in Indiana. Carmel, to be exact.

They've made a metric shton of money developing those properties. And here, they're regarded as upper crust. Kinda wild.

In defense of the OP, I think his response would be the same if it were a pale complexioned group of youths doing the same thing in Arcadia or Cicero to pick up trucks.

In fact, if that were the situation, I think the local residents would've already beaten a metric shton of snot out of the perps.

squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    My personal opinion is that this is disingenuous. Your first post made that clear.
    Please tell me how my DESCRIPTION of their actions made me disingenuous? I said one thing about their color was a description. Had they been Caucasian, or Hispanic I would have stated that as well.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Please tell me how my DESCRIPTION of their actions made me disingenuous?

I think "black hoodlums" is somewhat problematic.

I mean, did their colorocity make a difference to you somehow? It wasn't really a description of the kids.

squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    Not actions, but the descriptions of the perps themselves. One would ask what was the purpose of the clarification.

I think "black hoodlums" is somewhat problematic.

I mean, did their colorocity make a difference to you somehow? It wasn't really a description of the kids.

T.Lex you are correct. I forgot I had that in there. I though I had just stated hoodlums. The color of the troublemakers does not matter. The fact they were attacking the person is the issue.

squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    You are being analyzed squid. Enjoy.

It's normal and I don't expect any different. I have had people do that same thing to me IRL as well. I have thicker skin then that. :)
    It also gives me some thoughts on what some people will focus on. I've notice that those that focus on something small tend to have a pressure point and can be overly sensitive to that aspect of communication.

Shouldn't that be welcome to INGO? :D

I've had that happen to before. There is a reason I prefer to lurk.

duty_calls.png

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    squidvt you mentioned race as a descriptor THEREFORE in the name of all that is right we must now rescind any advice and cast you to the wolves.

If you would have listed them as youths we would also cast aspersions upon you.

If you had not mentioned anything we would undoubtedly come to the conclusion that you were hiding something about the perps.

Sorry, you just can't win.... but thanks for playing.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    T.Lex you are correct. I forgot I had that in there. I though I had just stated hoodlums. The color of the troublemakers does not matter. The fact they were attacking the person is the issue.

Exactly. I'm not upset with you, but a black person things like that jump out at me, and make me say "why?" You aren't the first, nor the last to do it, I'm sure. I just ask that you be aware of how things come off.

Top Bottom