• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Looks pretty tasty ............what is in jar #1 ? ...............and what`s the mix . (Unless it`s a secret ) :)

All fermented, except for the garlic, cilantro and bottled lime juice.

50/50 red bell/red jalapeno to fill Ninja
    1/4c red onion (year old :nailbite:)
    1T lime
    Few sprigs cilantro and garlic leaves.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Looks awesome .............I won`t tell anyone the secret recipe .

I think the "secret" is in the uncooked (live) lacto-fermented foods.

Here's the recipe I roughly followed. I obviously fermented individual items separately.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    I think the "secret" is in the uncooked (live) lacto-fermented foods.
    I figured as much ...........I have never dabbled in fermenting but my brother does all the time .
    He always has several jars of something fermenting and informs me of the benefits . He has tried to get me to do a little exploring into it .
    It may be time ......

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I figured as much ...........I have never dabbled in fermenting but my brother does all the time .
    He always has several jars of something fermenting and informs me of the benefits . He has tried to get me to do a little exploring into it .
    It may be time ......
    We ferment lots of stuff from the garden. Delicious and good for your gut.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Care to share your fermented recipes?

There is a lot of info out there on fermentation. Like anything on the web, you have to take it with a grain of salt... :lmfao:

I use a 5% brine for pickles. They seem to need a heavy salt solution for a crisp salty pickle.

After some practice, a 5% brine seems too salty for some veggies. Cauliflower was borderline too salty and took noticably longer to ferment to my liking.

I've been using a 2.5% brine for the huge harvest of peppers. Seems to be working well.

Translated to real world kitchen mixing...

1/8c Redmond Real salt to 1QT filtered water = 2.5% brine

Double the above for 5% brine.

For gosh sakes don't trust my numbers. Do your own research and your own trial and error.

There is plenty of info out there that gets crazy scientific with weighing water and salt and etc. Then there's one of the old school fermenting guru's that speaks of tasting as you go. :dunno:

Further complication. For cabbage ferments I don't measure. I sprinkle and massage. :nailbite:

My advice is to start investing in lids, weights and jars. Play with fermenting over the winter with grocery produce. Cabbage, onions, garlic is all relatively cheap.

Watch all the video. Read all the articles.

Here is a new to me site that I just ran onto...

You can throw all kinds of odd seasoning into cabbage ferments to achieve different tastes from sauerkraut to kimchi to pickle-like dill ferments. The same with fermented salsa, which is becoming a favorite of mine.

The majority of other veggies, mainly peppers lately, are just seasoned simply with garlic, onion and saltwater brine. 1-2 cloves garlic and enough green onion to just cover the bottom of a half gallon jar. I have used trimmed garlic leaves, in the absence of home grown garlic bulbs.

Side note - We're pretty big on no waste here, besides the fact that fermented foods are very healthy for you. We wouldn't dare pour out leftover fermented brine. Pickle brine left in the jar gets drank as a beverage and the spicer pepper brines go into cooking.

Last edited:

starbreather

Master
    Rating - 95.3%
    61   3   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    exiting stage left!
    There is a lot of info out there on fermentation. Like anything on the web, you have to take it with a grain of salt... :lmfao:

I use a 5% brine for pickles. They seem to need a heavy salt solution for a crisp salty pickle.

After some practice, a 5% brine seems too salty for some veggies. Cauliflower was borderline too salty and took noticably longer to ferment to my liking.

I've been using a 2.5% brine for the huge harvest of peppers. Seems to be working well.

Translated to real world kitchen mixing...

1/8c Redmond Real salt to 1QT filtered water = 2.5% brine

Double the above for 5% brine.

For gosh sakes don't trust my numbers. Do your own research and your own trial and error.

There is plenty of info out there that gets crazy scientific with weighing water and salt and etc. Then there's one of the old school fermenting guru's that speaks of tasting as you go. :dunno:

Further complication. For cabbage ferments I don't measure. I sprinkle and massage. :nailbite:

My advice is to start investing in lids, weights and jars. Play with fermenting over the winter with grocery produce. Cabbage, onions, garlic is all relatively cheap.

Watch all the video. Read all the articles.

Here is a new to me site that I just ran onto...

You can throw all kinds of odd seasoning into cabbage ferments to achieve different tastes from sauerkraut to kimchi to pickle-like dill ferments. The same with fermented salsa, which is becoming a favorite of mine.

The majority of other veggies, mainly peppers lately, are just seasoned simply with garlic, onion and saltwater brine. 1-2 cloves garlic and enough green onion to just cover the bottom of a half gallon jar. I have used trimmed garlic leaves, in the absence of home grown garlic bulbs.

Side note - We're pretty big on no waste here, besides the fact that fermented foods are very healthy for you. We wouldn't dare pour out leftover fermented brine. Pickle brine left in the jar gets drank as a beverage and the spicer pepper brines go into cooking.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate your time.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You folks get frost last night? I didn't think we did, but I may have some wilty pepper and tomatoe leaves?

My thermometer read 38 at sunrise. Normally has to get to 36 for frost?

My buddy is in southern IN, and swears he's already had frost a couple weeks ago?

:scratch:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Couple garden things today...

Cleaned off the red Anaheim's. Haven't been able to find any info on eating them other than roasting and removing the skins? I've cut them up and ate them skins and all in the past. Got nothing to lose trying a ferment, right?

20231021_161126.jpg

I threw some various winter squash seeds (were headed to the compost,) in a mound at the edge of my driveway a few months ago. Not bad for an afterthought...

20231021_172401.jpg

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    You folks get frost last night? I didn't think we did, but I may have some wilty pepper and tomatoe leaves?

My buddy is in southern IN, and swears he's already had frost a couple weeks ago?

No frost here in the GSF so far.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area

Had no frost here near Monrovia ..........Not too far from you .
    Monday morning may be a different story though .......calling for around 37degrees .

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Had no frost here near Monrovia ..........Not too far from you .
    Monday morning may be a different story though .......calling for around 37degrees .

I hate to speak of it much and tempt bringing the bad karma.

The last few years, we have had really mild Novembers, after an early frost in October. I keep thinking, if we could just escape that October frost, we might have a sweet extended fall garden?

:)

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    I hate to speak of it much and tempt bringing the bad karma.

The last few years, we have had really mild Novembers, after an early frost in October. I keep thinking, if we could just escape that October frost, we might have a sweet extended fall garden?

:)
    One could hope ..............
    I wish I would have made the time this year for my Fall garden . I "Had" big plans .
    Overall , pretty pleased with this year`s harvest and lessons learned along the way .

Top Bottom