• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    My bush beans are done, so I need to pull them. I will have a couple spots the. I think I am going to plant some sugar snap peas. i would think they would have time to make.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    My bush beans are done, so I need to pull them. I will have a couple spots the. I think I am going to plant some sugar snap peas. i would think they would have time to make.
    Peas will do fine but I will give you a trick to help out.
    Sprout them in a plastic bag and paper towels first then plant the sprouts. I get better sprouting this way than just putting the peas o the ground and heavy water. You have time for peas until late august most years.

I am getting ready for fall corn (76 days on the bag and I add 14 days for fall planting) and bush (top crop) green beans. I will also throw out a couple hills of cukes and a Zulu or two.
    Normal first frost at Oct 31-November 10. Plenty of time for most anything except peppers and tomatoes.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Peas will do fine but I will give you a trick to help out.
    Sprout them in a plastic bag and paper towels first then plant the sprouts. I get better sprouting this way than just putting the peas o the ground and heavy water. You have time for peas until late august most years.

I am getting ready for fall corn (76 days on the bag and I add 14 days for fall planting) and bush (top crop) green beans. I will also throw out a couple hills of cukes and a Zulu or two.
    Normal first frost at Oct 31-November 10. Plenty of time for most anything except peppers and tomatoes.
    I am up close to the Michigan line so my average first frost is closer,to Oct 10-20

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Peas do well with even light frost. Killing hard freeze all together different.
    Corn may be at the limit up there.

Basically on fall crop read your seed pouch for days to mature and for fall crops I add 14 days to what the pouch says. If you can cover with a shade cloth even light frost is not a killer on tender plants. They are tough plants for the most part.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    Peppers have been coming on strong and many many more to come . Last years peppers were terrible , this year is awesome and have never had them so big . Jalepenos are nice ( most this size start crackling on the skins but these are smooth )
    Just did a couple batches of salsa .........................Will more than likely pull all my onions this week .
    Still can`t hardly pick zucchini and yellow squash fast enough ( Have been freeze drying quite a bit for breads and the like )
    IMG_3801.JPG IMG_3802.JPG IMG_3804.JPG

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    My 3 pepper plants that were transplanted and stored indoors from last season are all producing well. This is the first time I tried transplanting thanks to smokingman and snapping turtles advise last year.
    What kind of temperatures did you store them at ? I have tried a couple of years with no luck .
    I cut back a lot of branches and kept them somewhat damp but never wet , stored mine in large pots in my "Garden Room" which got down to almost freezing a few times . Most time it stays around 40ish +- . Also there is a bit of diffused light from the patio doors .

Percolater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Sunroom stays between 60-68 in the winter, with plenty of windows. Mine were cut all the way back to the first "y" in the main stalk. Didn't seem possible that they would survive, only watered minimally and I'm thrilled

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    My 3 pepper plants that were transplanted and stored indoors from last season are all producing well. This is the first time I tried transplanting thanks to smokingman and snapping turtles advise last year.
    I planted Park seeds rainbow pepper mix. Out of 24 seeds I got 18 plants and lost one to deer. There are lavender red orange chocolates yellow and white.
    Only the lavender come on with color quickly. I do plan to overwinter the white ones as they are the best bells I grow.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    That green bean dish looks pretty tasty !..........................
    What is the story on your pickles and salsa ? ( Are those called refrigerator pickles ? ) Wondering the process on both , if it`s a version of fermenting ......and the special lids . ( New to me )

I do more and more preservation doing lacto-fermentation these days. Final product needs refrigerated, but it lasts a year and beyond there.

Good bacteria leaves the veg "alive" vs canning, which destroys some nutrients. Added bonus is the gut health lacto-fermentation provides.

A secondary bonus is that once you get the system down to your liking, it's much simpler than canning. Fill up a half gallon jar with veggies and seasonings. Pour in saltwater brine. Wait a few days. Done.

Cabbage ferments are slightly more labor intensive, with chopping and massaging in the salt. The salsa gets done in the food processor though. Still no hot small jars, hot canners or moving a lot of product from one place to another in a process that you saved up to do a lot at once. Not a monumental job that you might grow weary of.

There is a ton of YouTube video on the subject. Amazon has all kinds of economical equiptment to do this now vs some years back when $50 kits were the norm. Tip - buy the glass weights with the standoff handles. You will be happy you did.

I've worked into this over the last few years and would highly recommend it.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    It was time to pull my onions .............Definitely a lot smaller this year overall but still satisfied . And I planted considerably less this year. Last year I had over 450 .
    Also .........about 14 pounds of shredded , freeze dried Zucchini fit in 3, 1/2 gallon jars .
    View attachment 289960 View attachment 289961

Rough year for onions, tomatoes and squash for me. All are small, blight or virus ridden, etc. Regular rains were great for early growth, but then promoted the ick.

We will see how the timing on fall stuff works? Mosiac has taken some winter squash already.

Just part of it...

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TravGreen2703!!
    Top Bottom