• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    I keep forgetting to take pictures. Tomatoes have come on strong. Zucchini and yellow squash have tapered off. Cauliflower and broccoli have been harvested, cabbages will be soon. One gallon of refrigerator pickles are currently being eaten, another batch will be started soon. Have had some banana and bell peppers, jalapeños will be ready soon. One last run of sugar snap peas are growing. The cabbage worms hit my daughter's lettuce patch hard but it is recovering. Lots of butternut squash growing but it will be a long while still. Eggplant (a new one for me) has lots of fruit but not much size yet, we'll see.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Busy days. I've been picking cukes, melons and squash daily.

The dehydrator is continually full of zucchini and yellow squash. I sneaked a handful of ripe cayenne and ghost peppers on top of the drier trays, as those will need to dry longer. Hopefully not too much transfer. :cool:

I put together a zucchini flour chaffle that I'm very happy with. I have ate a couple/3 batches of these and so far nothing but pleased. Hoping to put up a lot of zucchini/yellow squash flour... 20230809_195652.jpg

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    So far, we're at 71 quarts of green beans. I planted my beans late and we should still get more.
    Also 31 quarts of tomatoes, also with more still out there. Hope to make some salsa at some point.

One new thing this year, my son had gotten us a new Alpaca Kerosene stove, and on a couple of really hot days we ran the canner out in the breezeway. It runs the water bath canner great, but I wasn't sure about using it with the pressure canner. Not sure if I can dial it down low enough after it builds pressure. I do plan to experiment with that after canning season is over.

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Portage
    Just started using my Christmas present from 3 years ago. 12 inch Vacuum sealer those things are great! Freezing beans, tomatoes, peppers and corn. Now we don't have to eat the garden so fast. I know what took me so long.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I want to get into canning, but I’m finding blanching, cooling, and vacuum-sealing for the freezer is cheaper and easier. If I’m just doing garden vegetables, what’s the benefit of investing in a canning set-up?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I want to get into canning, but I’m finding blanching, cooling, and vacuum-sealing for the freezer is cheaper and easier. If I’m just doing garden vegetables, what’s the benefit of investing in a canning set-up?

Shelf stable storage.

Nothing at all wrong with freezing. The knowledge and equipment to can would be a good failsafe in a long term power outage. You could can all of your freezer contents.

I've been doing pretty big batches of green beans and long beans seasoned with lots of peppers, onions and pork shoulder. I freeze in silicone loaf pans, then vac-pack the cubes with the foodsaver. Pretty handy ready to heat and eat portions.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Like Bwframe said, freezing is great, and canning adds reliable shelf-stable storage. My wife does both. We have a fairly large pantry, with shelves for jars, and we have an upright and a chest freezer.

I would also say that canning allows you to preserve things that you can't by freezing, like salsas, tomatoes (whole, juice, sauces), and the various pickles and peppers. And, if we ever loose power totally (and run out of gas for the generator), and if we loose our freezers, we still have our canned stuff.

My wife was running out of quart jars the other day, and she dumped out some old ones she had found on a shelf that had tomatoes and juice from 2016. It all went into the compost, but all the jars were still sealed and everything looked and smelled fine (good, actually).

At our house, I do all of the growing and my wife does all of the freezing and canning (although I always get in on breaking green beans), so she mostly decides what gets canned and what goes in the freezer.

Top Bottom