• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    What is the price point on NV these days. I think it would be awesome just to have and be able to see things at night. Are there any entry level options. Wouldn’t use for shooting purposes

Unless you have $3k in your hand, I'd advise not even thinking about it.

For a decent PVS-14 without a ghetto nasty tube that's junk, you'll be looking at the upper $2k to lower $3k range used. Then you will need a helmet because a skull crusher is not realistic to wear for a prolonged period of time, so figure on $350-400 for a plastic bump helmet.

Then you will need mounting hardware, as the milspec J arm and bayonet mount rhino system is garbage and will result in your monocular being lost in the woods the first time you use it. So wilcox dovetail J arm for $250, and wilcox G24 for $520.

Now you have the bare minimum that's worth while. And you'd do well to interact and converse with people who have extensive experience with night vision as there's a lot of grifters out there who are big names and will charge you $5000 for a tube that's worth maybe $2000. They prey on the limited knowledge most people have. I won't name the one I'm specifically talking about, but everyone knows who it is.

Gen 1 isn't worth it for any purpose. Digital is laughably bad and potentially worse than gen 1. Gen 2 provides some use if it's a good tube, but a good gen 2 tube can end up expensive enough to not be worth it. Gen 3 is where you want to be, the less desirable tubes still perform amazingly well if you haven't been spoiled by the top shelf.

Also saying you won't use it for shooting purposes... Oh you will once the bug bites you, and plan on another grand or so for an IR laser and illuminator for your rifle.

I'd recommend this guy for NV related info, he's a pretty solid source from a non-elitist perspective:

P.S. all this supporting hardware is comically expensive because the market is absolutely tiny. Tubes are expensive because they're grown in a lab and have a high rejection rate.

Last edited:

joe138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    All of the above is true. But you can find mounts and dove tail j arms for less. If you don't mind buying used, go to a major Army Post and shop the many surplus stores. I bought my Wilcox and Norotos at $60 each at a surplus store just off of Ft. Knox. At Ft. Campbell there are several surplus stores. Two weeks ago I found two Norotos for $100 per.

NV is a money hole, just jump in.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan

For a decent PVS-14 without a ghetto nasty tube that's junk, you'll be looking at the upper $2k to lower $3k range used. Then you will need a helmet because a skull crusher is not realistic to wear for a prolonged period of time, so figure on $350-400 for a plastic bump helmet.

Then you will need mounting hardware, as the milspec J arm and bayonet mount rhino system is garbage and will result in your monocular being lost in the woods the first time you use it. So wilcox dovetail J arm for $250, and wilcox G24 for $520.

Now you have the bare minimum that's worth while. And you'd do well to interact and converse with people who have extensive experience with night vision as there's a lot of grifters out there who are big names and will charge you $5000 for a tube that's worth maybe $2000. They prey on the limited knowledge most people have. I won't name the one I'm specifically talking about, but everyone knows who it is.

Gen 1 isn't worth it for any purpose. Digital is laughably bad and potentially worse than gen 1. Gen 2 provides some use if it's a good tube, but a good gen 2 tube can end up expensive enough to not be worth it. Gen 3 is where you want to be, the less desirable tubes still perform amazingly well if you haven't been spoiled by the top shelf.

Also saying you won't use it for shooting purposes... Oh you will once the bug bites you, and plan on another grand or so for an IR laser and illuminator for your rifle.

I'd recommend this guy for NV related info, he's a pretty solid source from a non-elitist perspective:

P.S. all this supporting hardware is comically expensive because the market is absolutely tiny. Tubes are expensive because they're grown in a lab and have a high rejection rate.
    :dunno:

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake

I agree with most of this except the fact you can get NEW pvs14s for $2500, and very nice for under $3k. They would come with lifetime housing warranty and 10 yr warranty on the intensifiers.

Steele Industries runs sales all the time and allows you to hand select tubes in this category
    (they dont have anything in stock now, but their sales usually have 30+ units you can pick from)
    the green phos version through them is even cheaper

Heres TNVC version of the xlsh (although you can not hand select so youll be rolling the dice)

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Bumping up this thread for us budget goons.

I've been pretty impressed with my digital Sionyx Aurora Pro (yes, I've seen what a hand select PVS-14 WP can do). Stars + just a little ambient light and it does pretty good imo. Dark unlit areas still need an IR illuminator.

I'm looking for a recommendations on a decent quality IR illuminator that can mount to my Team Wendy bump helmet. Mine has the 3.0 system with Picatinny rails on the temple.

Last edited:

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    Bumping up this thread for us budget goons.

I've been pretty impressed with my digital Sionyx Aurora Pro (yes, I've seen what a hand select PVS-14 WP can do). Stars + just a little ambient light and it does pretty good imo. Dark unlit areas still need an IR illuminator.

I'm looking for a recommendations on a decent quality IR illuminator that can mount to my Team Wendy bump helmet. Mine has the 3.0 system with Picatinny rails on the temple.
    I run the inforce (wlmx i think is the actual model). its the one with white and ir. Its extremely impressive for the price.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Thanks! I just recently heard they made an IR light. Using your model #, just found it on their website too. I'll agree, for the price, it looks really nice. Better than some other huge body flashlights I'm looking at + IR AND white!

imo, It's small size should make it a good helmet mounted light.

Here it is:

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    Thanks! I just recently heard they made an IR light. Using your model #, just found it on their website too. I'll agree, for the price, it looks really nice. Better than some other huge body flashlights I'm looking at + IR AND white!

imo, It's small size should make it a good helmet mounted light.

Here it is:
    Yea i run it on my helmet, or one of my night setup pccs.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 17, 2016
    Boffa
    Just wanted to put this link here: good NV shop in KY. They offer pickup as well. Based out of Lexington. If you're anything like me you probably would rather pick up your 3 to 7k night vision rather than ship if possible.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    Just wanted to put this link here: good NV shop in KY. They offer pickup as well. Based out of Lexington. If you're anything like me you probably would rather pick up your 3 to 7k night vision rather than ship if possible.

I’ve seen a lot of his stuff online. I didn’t realize he was so close. Very cool.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Quickie gear review...

The Princeton Tec Point MPLS IR Tactical Helmet Light is garbage. It came out of the box with a broken mounting tab. An internet search says this is common. I'll try to return it. Too bad as it seems perfectly bright enough for admin tasks.

I ordered a Streamlight Sidewinder Compact II 145 Hands-Free Military Flashlight. Backorder & not due until after my night match. Ugh!

In liu of my backorder, I stopped into Top Guns Terre Haute and picked up the Inforce we mentioned up thread. Nice light. Light weight. Simple to use. The IR mode is WAY too bright for use with my camera. I might need to mount this on my rifle instead.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Doh, I got a 700 lumen Inforce, not the 400 mentioned about. No wonder it saturates my camera!

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    Quickie gear review...

The Princeton Tec Point MPLS IR Tactical Helmet Light is garbage. It came out of the box with a broken mounting tab. An internet search says this is common. I'll try to return it. Too bad as it seems perfectly bright enough for admin tasks.

I ordered a Streamlight Sidewinder Compact II 145 Hands-Free Military Flashlight. Backorder & not due until after my night match. Ugh!

In liu of my backorder, I stopped into Top Guns Terre Haute and picked up the Inforce we mentioned up thread. Nice light. Light weight. Simple to use. The IR mode is WAY too bright for use with my camera. I might need to mount this on my rifle instead.

Yea the IR was a pleasant surprise for the price. I believe they have a lower output version if that’s your thing.

bwillits

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2022
    Fishers, IN
    What is the price point on NV these days. I think it would be awesome just to have and be able to see things at night. Are there any entry level options. Wouldn’t use for shooting purposes
    Good question. Idk what the going rate for basic NV is. I know this set up is around 9k with lid and all that.

bwillits

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2022
    Fishers, IN
    Hoosier national forest is a good spot. There are several spots I’ve been meaning to check out just east of Bloomington. My guess is closer to dusk would be the best time out there. I don’t have NVG’s but I’ve been meaning to do some night time shooting.

Aside from there you best bet is making friends with someone will land towards Kokomo or Peru.

If you’re free, you are welcome to join me to trek down there.
    I’d definitely be down for that. It’s not too far as I already drive down to Bedford semi regularly to shoot.

bwillits

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2022
    Fishers, IN
    Steiner OTAL-C
    Most of holosun's IR lasers
    Even some of the steiner dbals are in that price range, my 9007 was well under $1k.
    I don’t have tons of experience outside of the MAWL and RAID as that’s what most in my circle run. I’d love to try some other options as it gets pricey outfitting a bunch of rifles.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    Those are nice if money is no object.

If you want some of the benefits of the MAWL's illuminator at a much more tolerable price, look at the US night vision designate-IR. https://usnightvision.com/designate...-visible-infrared-laser-vcsel-ir-illuminator/
    3eir (the ones who manufacture the designateIR) are coming out with a VSCEL flashlight head that will have ir pointer and the same iluminator as the designateIR. I emailed them and they should start shipping around march.

$695

Top Bottom