• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    Just a tidbit of information: studies show that bumpy the time children are in 3rd grade, there is no difference in performance between those who attended preschool and those who didn't. Similarly, the same holds true for kindergarten. Early learning in the government schools is not a contributing criteria to future success.

if pressed, I would say that early learning has little to no effect on the at-risk status of children either. That risk comes largely from the home dynamics which don't change just because the kid went to school at age 4 instead of at age 5 or 6.

It's nothing more than "free" daycare given in the name of "educating" the kids.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Guess if you're in a union, only the city should absorb those costs and not you just like everyone else in the real world.

How dare those "unionized" cops and fireman not just roll over and let the city violate a contract. Each of them should be happy to take a $7000/yr pay cut to free up more money for the Colts, Pacers, cricket fields, rental bicycles, bicycle lanes and tax dollars going to private investors. What a bunch of pricks they are.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Why are you exempt from feeling the financial hit in the pocket book just like everyone else with crappy insurance plans, increased premiums, with higher deductibles, etc? Think making health care affordable for everyone else that doesn't pay for it...

Why do you think that the city should be able to void its contractual obligations at will? If the city negotiated a unfavorable contract, that doesn't mean it isn't bound by it.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    Why do you think that the city should be able to void its contractual obligations at will? If the city negotiated a unfavorable contract, that doesn't mean it isn't bound by it.
    I just find it ridiculous to think the taxpayers should be on the hook for increases it couldn't have known when the contract was done. Regardless of whether this was an increase from the old contract to the new contract, they'd still be complaining about it. It's not like they're the only people being screwed as the entire working population has experienced these conditions with skyrocketing health care costs. Perhaps in matters to offset those costs they should do what they've had to do in the real world like head count reductions, but that won't fly either, will it?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Been in Indy long? We've seen head count reductions in case you haven't paid attention. IMPD is 600+ officers short of where it should be. Is no one entitled to complain about increased health care? I've seen plenty of threads about it here on INGO. Or is it that cops and firefighters don't have the right to complain about it? The city isn't doing this due to a shift in their costs, they sign contracts with the insurance companies and those companies are expected to adhere to those contracts. The city is the entity which believes a contract is only binding so long as they like it. The city has determined that it can divert money from its contractual obligation so they can spend more money on bull****. I'm sure you'd happily give up $7000/yr of your take-home pay for a reduction in health care benefits, right?

Just another reason to ***** about the police.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    Been in Indy long? We've seen head count reductions in case you haven't paid attention. IMPD is 600+ officers short of where it should be. Is no one entitled to complain about increased health care? I've seen plenty of threads about it here on INGO. Or is it that cops and firefighters don't have the right to complain about it? The city isn't doing this due to a shift in their costs, they sign contracts with the insurance companies and those companies are expected to adhere to those contracts. The city is the entity which believes a contract is only binding so long as they like it. The city has determined that it can divert money from its contractual obligation so they can spend more money on bull****. I'm sure you'd happily give up $7000/yr of your take-home pay for a reduction in health care benefits, right?

Just another reason to ***** about the police.

Not true. I'd say the same thing about any other union as I know how they like to bend/twist the facts to suit their side of the story. Hell, I knew at one time of a UAW local whose membership didn't pay a cent for their premium nor did they pay a dime for an office visit. All the sudden when said company wanted to implement a premium for health insurance, the company was now screwing them.

Funny how every demographic employed by the county/state complains about how their employer diverts money out of THEIR money to pay for something else. Don't like it? Vote 'em out of office. You are free to come and go as you wish and work for any other police department if the city is so bad.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Love that line of reasoning. You already ***** about IMPD non stop, continue to advocate for treating the officers like crap and you'll end up with Memphis PD and have a never ending supply of material to cry about.

You may want to educate yourself, IMPD has no union.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I just find it ridiculous to think the taxpayers should be on the hook for increases it couldn't have known when the contract was done. Regardless of whether this was an increase from the old contract to the new contract, they'd still be complaining about it. It's not like they're the only people being screwed as the entire working population has experienced these conditions with skyrocketing health care costs. Perhaps in matters to offset those costs they should do what they've had to do in the real world like head count reductions, but that won't fly either, will it?
    The taxpayers voted the people that signed the contract into office. It is their problem because they elected these idiots.

None of this is grounds to violate a contractual obligation.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    They just voted to raise taxes for public safety and swiftly announced that less than half of the money raised from the increase would be spent on public safety. As usual though, no one is paying attention and no one will call them on it.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Not true. I'd say the same thing about any other union as I know how they like to bend/twist the facts to suit their side of the story. Hell, I knew at one time of a UAW local whose membership didn't pay a cent for their premium nor did they pay a dime for an office visit. All the sudden when said company wanted to implement a premium for health insurance, the company was now screwing them.

Funny how every demographic employed by the county/state complains about how their employer diverts money out of THEIR money to pay for something else. Don't like it? Vote 'em out of office. You are free to come and go as you wish and work for any other police department if the city is so bad.

Implementing a premium change during contract negotiations is one thing.
    During the contract??????

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    Implementing a premium change during contract negotiations is one thing.
    During the contract??????

In most cases I've heard of, rates are negotiated annually. There's no way the insurance company or employer to predict rates with any accuracy, unless you automatically include huge increases every year, not that it would go without complaints either.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Exactly…DURING THE CONTRACT. Imagine if you just got the new iPhone, signed a 2 year contract, and six months down the road verizon says, "Ok, we're raising your bill by $7,000 and now you can only call people that live in delaware". I would imagine you would be upset.

Now if it's at the end of the contract and they say "hey if you renew with us…delaware…7000" that's a different story. Just like if the city says, "hey, we can't afford the new rates for the next contract…obamacare!" that's fine. The contract is up. The terms are up in the air regarding salary, insurance, benefits, etc...so whatever. Will the police complain? Sure. Health care in general sucks. Will they sue? Probably not as there isn't much ground to stand on. This is a breech of contract pure and simple.

Can the cops tell the mayor, "Ok, we're done taking accident reports and domestics"? They won't, as unlike the mayor, they have too much integrity.

The city came up with the majority of the current contract including the already ****ty insurance. As i said before, even if the rate wasn't locked it, which it is they've had over 50 people just this year retire with 50 more retirees dying. Assuming they all retired as 3rd year patrolmen (which they didn't some were captains, LT, Chiefs etc), that means at the lowest end they have 50 salaries at $50,000 that they can use on the healthcare they agreed to (even though the rate is static from when they agreed to it…i.e. it didn't' jump up in price) Now we're 600+ officers short. So that's 600 officers that you and I the taxpayers, were paying for and now we no longer have to.

Did your taxes go down?

Again at 50,000 each on the low end that's 30 million that should be going back into public safety that isn't. They just raised taxes "for more cops on the street" and then whispered that less than half is for public safety. That's what you should be upset about. There was no need to raise taxes. 50 people retired, you can hire 50 more without any loss…in fact you can hire 60 or more as they're coming in at a lower rate. Eventually you'll catch up.

You'd think they'd want the best health care for the police since they're getting worked to death. Nothing like going to court at 8am-noon, to work a regular shift from 1:30-10 then being asked to stay over as late shift doesn't have enough people from 10-6am. Who needs an immune system anyways?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Exactly…DURING THE CONTRACT....
    Now if it's at the end of the contract and they say "hey if you renew with us…delaware…7000" that's a different story. Just like if the city says, "hey, we can't afford the new rates for the next contract…obamacare!" that's fine. The contract is up. The terms are up in the air regarding salary, insurance, benefits, etc...
    ...You may want to educate yourself, IMPD has no union.

How is it these contracts are established without a union involved?

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    How is it these contracts are established without a union involved?

For not having a union, they sure as hell hit all the anti-management talking points and stories of just how bad they have it like the union folks do.

Our city/state governments are going to slowly but surely start breaking more contracts for teachers, police, and fire departments as they look for ways to trim more fat from their budgets. Nobody said life was fair.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    The city came up with the majority of the current contract including the already ****ty insurance. As i said before, even if the rate wasn't locked it, which it is

Link?

The next company I hear that negotiates multi year locks on their health insurance will be the first.

The entire country has been hit with huge increases in premiums while seeing their deductibles also increase. Everyone has to pay their "fair share" to pay for the rest of the free loaders. Nobody else has been immune and unfortunately, neither should IMPD. Well, unless you're looking for the collective to....

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    John22
    Top Bottom