• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    It is similar but we are not allowed some of the benefits of an actual union, primarily the ability to strike. Since we have no real leverage we have exactly the amount of "power" the mayor and council decide to allow us and no more. It's basically a gentleman's agreement for lack of a better term.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    It is similar but we are not allowed some of the benefits of an actual union, primarily the ability to strike. Since we have no real leverage we have exactly the amount of "power" the mayor and council decide to allow us and no more. It's basically a gentleman's agreement for lack of a better term.

You can strike. Just remember how well it worked for the air traffic controllers.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Link?

The next company I hear that negotiates multi year locks on their health insurance will be the first.

The entire country has been hit with huge increases in premiums while seeing their deductibles also increase. Everyone has to pay their "fair share" to pay for the rest of the free loaders. Nobody else has been immune and unfortunately, neither should IMPD. Well, unless you're looking for the collective to....

I can't provide a link, just as you cant provide one to the contrary, that the city doesn't obtain year long contracts with health care providers. My info was from a conversation with a CCC member when she tried to explain the benefits of raising taxes to the police. Ins companies compete for .gov business as they have a ton of people working for them. Because of that, they grant some assurances unlike if you work a the mom and pop grocery store. Its similar to how you pay your water bill. A guy doesn't come out every single month and say "you owe XXX" they take an average of a few months and figure that's what you'll owe and set that rate accordingly so that they make a profit. If you end up using more water then you were budgeted for, your next few set of bills will make up the profit short fall and then some.

Buuuuut, lets assume that you are correct.

The contract was agreed upon by both the FOP and the city. The contract is 3 years long. It was agreed to in February. Following your assumption, in less than 6 months the plan that they could afford and promoted, they now can't afford? Again assuming everyone involved in this is wrong and you're correct, that would mean that the city promoted and agreed to a plan that they couldn't afford. They could have said, "no insurance we can't afford it" but they didn't.

Did rates drastically jump in a couple of months? If they did, how is that possible when according to the new health care law you have to publicly justify rate increases? I've seen no hint of major increases nor justification for those increases. If they did mess up then honor the contract, take the loss, and tell them to F off next year and recoup the loss.

Again to put it in perspective, you buy a phone with verizon and sign a 3 year contract. On month seven they tell you that they've changed the terms, you'll be paying 7,000 and can only talk to people in delaware. You also can't back out of the contract. Would you still say, "**** happens"? The city should honor their agreement, and if by the end of the 3 years, they say NO INSURANCE FOR ANYONE then fine, they aren't under a contract so they can do what they want. Why is that so hard to comprehend? Do contracts mean nothing to you? ...If so, i have some really expensive stuff i like to sell you…if you send me the money first I totally promise i'll send it to you as i am an honest man.

The FOP is a labor union about as much as the Teachers Credit Union is a labor union or Western Union is a labor union.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I hope that officers and firefighters do not think that I'm unsympathetic to their cause? It's just that the rest us us have been suffering the severe cost effects of this new healthcare law for some time, those of us who pay anyway. The majority of us don't have employment contracts that shelter us from the effects of the new law that seemingly no one understands, other than it's very costly or nearly free.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the unions, collectives, whatever you choose to call them, support the party that brought us this financially crushing nightmare called Obamacare?

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    I hope that officers and firefighters do not think that I'm unsympathetic to their cause? It's just that the rest us us have been suffering the severe cost effects of this new healthcare law for some time, those of us who pay anyway. The majority of us don't have employment contracts that shelter us from the effects of the new law that seemingly no one understands, other than it's very costly or nearly free.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the unions, collectives, whatever you choose to call them, support the party that brought us this financially crushing nightmare called Obamacare?

Don't you understand? They had a contract. Their wallets must evidently be more deserving than ours from feeling the impact of skyrocketing health care costs.

Maybe since the insurance is SO bad, they should scrap the plan altogether and let them buy off the exchange.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Don't you understand? They had a contract. Their wallets must evidently be more deserving than ours from feeling the impact of skyrocketing health care costs.

Maybe since the insurance is SO bad, they should scrap the plan altogether and let them buy off the exchange.

Did you have a contract with your employer for healthcare which said employer has now breached? If not, I don't see where you are in a position to compare yourself.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

Yes, yes...contracts aren't valid if LE is signed on. Second class citizens and all that. As has been repeatedly pointed out you clearly have no comprehension of the word.

My current insurance is crap compared to what it was ten years ago and I've been paying more every contract for years. We've been far from immune to the fraudulent healthcare in this country.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    So I guess everyone with a contract with forgop can now change stuff "because".
    The can change his phone contract
    When he makes a debit card transaction, you can change the amount, even after he signed.
    All cause contracts no longer mean anything.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

i-see-stupid-people.jpg

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY

I don't think that at all. Everyone has been suffering. The police will suffer just as much as you are in 2 years. As phylo said, police ins now is crap, 10 years ago it was fine. Every contract it gets worse, just as it does for everyone else. Unlike small businesses, the police get to keep their crap insurance for 2 years longer before it drops to absolute **** insurance. Please don't think that police insurance is some golden plan that covers everything with no deductible. Its as bad as any insurance out there.

The FOP didn't endorse Obama, they've backed all republicans since 2000. Last election they backed no one. Regardless of if they did or didn't they aren't a union so it's a moot point.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    How dare those "unionized" cops and fireman not just roll over and let the city violate a contract. Each of them should be happy to take a $7000/yr pay cut to free up more money for the Colts, Pacers, cricket fields, rental bicycles, bicycle lanes and tax dollars going to private investors. What a bunch of pricks they are.

At least you guys are supposed to get a nice raise to around $65K/year in 2016. Sounds like the city is just giving the raise, then turning around and taking it back....sooner rather than later. Fact is, this is the way things are going to be. People are tapped out because most people aren't savers and even an additional hundred here and there in taxes can really cause problems for some folks. With what they are doing to pensions, wages, etc. in other areas of the country, municipal labor union contracts have the same worth as a kid's scribble pad. Judges are never going to force oppressive taxation upon residents, they aren't going to stop the pay to play politics, but what they have been fond of doing is reducing or taking away pensions, allowing for arbitrary wage and benefit cuts, and screwing over municipal bond holders.

Top Bottom