• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I knew I had read about a poly 1911. I just couldn't find where I had read it.

I can't say that I will ever buy one. I am very happy with the steel frame one I have. I could see where it could save some weight, but that is about all. I can't see it being better made than a steel one or last longer.

I still stand behind if it isn't broke don't fix it. The 1911 has been working for over 100 year. I don't see the need for a poly frame one. I guess if you are making them to sell any corner you can cut to lower cost is a go.

Last edited:

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I personally don't believe in the old adage of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". That kind of mentality can lead to stagnant mindset. I prefer "There is always room for improvement." That's kinda what drives innovation and new things. If a "plastic" 1911 ends up not working, then at least we know or someone down the line will try harder. Kinda like how "plastic" mags have been taking over in the market. I mean with Glock, the idea of the "plastic gun" hasn't been far fetch or a stupid idea.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm getting old and stuck in my ways, but there's always a chance that I could embrace a poly 1911. I used to think that the CZ P07 looked like a badly designed toy compared to the 75B, yet as I type this tonight, there's a P07 on my hip. I used to hate the very idea of a Glock, but I've ended up buying 8 of them in the last 5 years. So, maybe a poly 1911 will make it into my collection... Nah, who am I kidding. A molded 1911 devoid of machine work would never interest me. I want to fondle that beautifully machined frame like the one's on my Dan Wesson built 1911s or, even those of my Remington or Sig 1911s. I love the tooling and machine marks on my USGI 1911s that speak of a country that was putting everything into winning a war and did not have the luxury of changing out tooling bits until very worn. I love the combination of walnut and steel that gives both cold and warm spots when shooting early on a winter morning. I love the balance that a steel framed pistol has.

A poly 1911 has none of the soul of a real 1911.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I personally don't believe in the old adage of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". That kind of mentality can lead to stagnant mindset. I prefer "There is always room for improvement." That's kinda what drives innovation and new things. If a "plastic" 1911 ends up not working, then at least we know or someone down the line will try harder. Kinda like how "plastic" mags have been taking over in the market. I mean with Glock, the idea of the "plastic gun" hasn't been far fetch or a stupid idea.

Sorry, you can't improve on a JM Browning design.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Years ago I had a Kimber pro bp ten. It was ok. Sold it because I am not a fan of double stack 1911's. The polymer frame didn't bother me.

I knew someone did this, but couldn't remember if it was Kimber or Para Ordnance. Thanks for the reminder.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom