• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I knew I had read about a poly 1911. I just couldn't find where I had read it.

I can't say that I will ever buy one. I am very happy with the steel frame one I have. I could see where it could save some weight, but that is about all. I can't see it being better made than a steel one or last longer.

I still stand behind if it isn't broke don't fix it. The 1911 has been working for over 100 year. I don't see the need for a poly frame one. I guess if you are making them to sell any corner you can cut to lower cost is a go.

Last edited:

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I personally don't believe in the old adage of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". That kind of mentality can lead to stagnant mindset. I prefer "There is always room for improvement." That's kinda what drives innovation and new things. If a "plastic" 1911 ends up not working, then at least we know or someone down the line will try harder. Kinda like how "plastic" mags have been taking over in the market. I mean with Glock, the idea of the "plastic gun" hasn't been far fetch or a stupid idea.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm getting old and stuck in my ways, but there's always a chance that I could embrace a poly 1911. I used to think that the CZ P07 looked like a badly designed toy compared to the 75B, yet as I type this tonight, there's a P07 on my hip. I used to hate the very idea of a Glock, but I've ended up buying 8 of them in the last 5 years. So, maybe a poly 1911 will make it into my collection... Nah, who am I kidding. A molded 1911 devoid of machine work would never interest me. I want to fondle that beautifully machined frame like the one's on my Dan Wesson built 1911s or, even those of my Remington or Sig 1911s. I love the tooling and machine marks on my USGI 1911s that speak of a country that was putting everything into winning a war and did not have the luxury of changing out tooling bits until very worn. I love the combination of walnut and steel that gives both cold and warm spots when shooting early on a winter morning. I love the balance that a steel framed pistol has.

A poly 1911 has none of the soul of a real 1911.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I personally don't believe in the old adage of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". That kind of mentality can lead to stagnant mindset. I prefer "There is always room for improvement." That's kinda what drives innovation and new things. If a "plastic" 1911 ends up not working, then at least we know or someone down the line will try harder. Kinda like how "plastic" mags have been taking over in the market. I mean with Glock, the idea of the "plastic gun" hasn't been far fetch or a stupid idea.

Sorry, you can't improve on a JM Browning design.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Years ago I had a Kimber pro bp ten. It was ok. Sold it because I am not a fan of double stack 1911's. The polymer frame didn't bother me.

I knew someone did this, but couldn't remember if it was Kimber or Para Ordnance. Thanks for the reminder.

Top Bottom