• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    The FO rod cracks under recoil on the set I had by the end of an 800 round pistol course, the front was totally gone, and one of the rear rods was in two pieces. The instructor said that he had had it happen to some other students in the past as well? As always, YMMV, but it's what happened to me.

This. I've personally seen it happen in no less than 3 different TFO equipt pistols.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    The FO rod cracks under recoil on the set I had by the end of an 800 round pistol course, the front was totally gone, and one of the rear rods was in two pieces. The instructor said that he had had it happen to some other students in the past as well? As always, YMMV, but it's what happened to me.

This. I've personally seen it happen in no less than 3 different TFO equipt pistols.

10-4

I wonder if a drop of clear epoxy on the top of each rod opening would solve this issue?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    How many of us who have a preference for the type of night sights on our guns have actually fired their gun with those sights in low light or darkness?

I ask because I am curious how you make your choices!

Turf Doctor

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    Brownsburg
    How many of us who have a preference for the type of night sights on our guns have actually fired their gun with those sights in low light or darkness?

I have only shot a couple of times in dark or low light. I would like to have night sights installed, but do not know which brand / type to get.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Most people have not done a significant amount of actual shooting in low light with night sights. I have had the good fortune of doing a significant amount shooting in low light with and without night sights, with and without a white light. Based on my personal experience, here are my opinions:

• Brand and color combinations don't matter too much to me. I've never shot and thought afterward "Gee, I sure liked that sight picture on brand A better than brand B!" Almost all of them work well in dim light.
    • I think "big dot" sights are great . . . on big game rifles. I have no use for them on a pistol and in my opinion, they are a hindrance more than a benefit to good marksmanship.
    • I require a rear sight that I can use to hook on my belt,mag pouch/pocket/trouser seam/any available surface to rack the slide. Novak and other "no snag" profiles are just that . . . no snag. I prefer plenty of snagginess in my rear sight because I might need to snag it on something.
    • With the requirement of being able to snag the rear sight, I base my night sight purchases first on availability and second on price. A distant third would be minor preference in shape, sight picture, front sight width, 3 dot vs something else.
    • If I have the luxury of choosing all the features at the shop where I am getting them installed, I'd specify: 0.090-0.100 inch wide, serrated front sight; bright green tritium capsule with a thin white ring around it in the front; "hooky" rear sight with a subdued green bar on the bottom of a rectangular notch, or tiny, subdued green dots on either side with no white oulines.

some of those requirements are contradictory... eg bright green dot w/ white boarder and 0.090 wide... but I think you new that. ;)

however, have you tried the warren/sevigy night sights?

The FS is .125, and is NOT serrated (unlike their FO sights) and has a white ring. They are a 2-dot setup and while the rear isn't a bar, it is a subdued dot under the notch. the rear is better than average for hooking on stuff. the top/sides are rounded latterally, but not front to back. I have no problem using them to cycle the gun.

they work great as regular sights as opposed to that big-dot nonsense. I used my G19 w/ these sights in the state uspsa match a couple years ago and they didn't hold me back any.

the best part is asside from a slightly wider FS and tritium in place of FO, they are just like my G34 setup for matches.

-rvb

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    some of those requirements are contradictory... eg bright green dot w/ white boarder and 0.090 wide... but I think you new that. ;)

Actually, the shop in Michigan that does Trijicon's custom work will make a front sight down to 0.090 inches wide with a tritium insert (ask me how I know!). You got me on the white border.

however, have you tried the warren/sevigy night sights?

The FS is .125, and is NOT serrated (unlike their FO sights) and has a white ring. They are a 2-dot setup and while the rear isn't a bar, it is a subdued dot under the notch. the rear is better than average for hooking on stuff. the top/sides are rounded latterally, but not front to back. I have no problem using them to cycle the gun.

they work great as regular sights as opposed to that big-dot nonsense. I used my G19 w/ these sights in the state uspsa match a couple years ago and they didn't hold me back any.

the best part is asside from a slightly wider FS and tritium in place of FO, they are just like my G34 setup for matches.

-rvb

I bought a gun with their sights (not tritium), but I sold them. Heh.

I've never shot with them, and never in low light with their night sights.

On Glocks, I get whatever they have in stock at Bradis when I arrive. On 1911s, I've had custom work done (including a narrow front sight, but I can't remember if I got the 0.100 or 0.090 inch width) and then whatever Neil Keller chose for me.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I have the Warren 3 dot night sights on my Glock 19. I kind of have mixed feelings on them. I do like the profile of the rear sight. It gives very good down range vision and a good sight picture. The rear sights do not have a white outline and are yellow. They are fairly dim, dimmer than I like. The front sight is a little narrower than most and there is lots of light on each side of the sight.

Now for some of the bad and unknown about these sights. I ordered these for the Glock last year from Lone Wolf. They are expensive for what you get. The rear sight is dated 13 and the front sight is dated 10. The rear sight is so dim it looks like it's about half dead. I can see them fine in a very dark or black room but with a decent amount of ambient light they are difficult to see. I own a farm and there is a single pole light about 60 yards from the front of the house. With just this light the rear is about invisible. This is the second set of Warren 3 dot night sights that have had mixed dates. I don't know if this is standard or why they are like this. If I had to do it over again I would go with something else, probably another set of Ameriglo.

As for the second set of Warrens, they were for an M&P Pro. I ordered them from SKD Tactical which is one of the places listed on the actual Warren website. I returned them because the front was dated 09 and the rear was dated 12. It's bad enough to pay $139 + shipping for a set of NEW sights and find out that one of them is 2-3 years old but to have the other one half way through it's service life is unacceptable. SKD does not take phone calls and refuses to list a number on the web sight. It's even if the FAQ that they don't take calls, email only. So after I email their "web ninjas" they tell me that all their sights are new and they don't open them and they would go ahead and issue me a refund since they don't have another set in stock they can send me. Since this is the second set that's had mismatched dates I don't want a replacement.

I replaced them with the Ameriglo set for the M&P Pro and am very pleased with both the product and the customer service. The clarity and brightness of the Ameriglo is far superior to the Warrens. I've been tempted to take the Warrens of the Glock 19 and replace them but haven't done it yet. If there is anyone that would like to check out the Warrens on the Glock and is close to me let me know. I'm in Randolph county but shoot at Old Trails in Richmond quite a bit.

As far as the other question that was asked about actually using your night sights in a low light environment I have done that as well. On the farm here we are surrounded by woods on 3 sides and there are coyotes in the woods. We have a dozen or so barn cats that prowl the farm and tons of opossums and raccoon's that come out of the woods. The varmints get into the cat food and sometimes fight with the cats. They have killed the chickens in the past. I have a light that I can snap on the gun in a second or two beside the door along with a hand held light. I've used both the 22 rifle and my handguns to dispatch the critters when needed. There have been aggressive dogs come in the yard and attack my dogs, chickens and cats before. I can say the night sights do help under most circumstances. Depending on the background (white garage door, snow) the night sights can get washed out by the light attached to the gun. A neutral white LED helps quite a bit for the hand held but nobody makes one for the gun. If the light is too strong then you can see the outline of the sights well but not the glow. Still, I would much rather have them than not. Don't expect them to be visible under all circumstances.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I just had a set of Trijicon HDs installed on a Glock 21 by the folks down at U.S. Defense in Greenwood. I've not had it to the range yet, but have been playing around with a laserlyte cartridge and dry fire and so far, so good. I was going to give the Ameriglo sights a try but decided to stick with something that has 3 tritium lamps instead of just the front sight being lit. If these work out well, I might have to swap out the near dead XS big dots I have on my G27. I do wish they made these for the CZ platform.

xdmdude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    southport
    I like my big dots but I agree they take some getting use to. I run them on some glocks mostly a couple 26's and I didn't get confident with them until about a 1000rnds.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies

I bought my big dots because Yeager's beard bullied me into it over the internet.

I did shoot them at your recent low light class and found that I like them more in the dark than in the light.

I think I am probably going to try the HD's next.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield

I do, and have, but it looks like Chezuki gets the win, and the glorious prize!

Opie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Evansville
    I have factory Glock night sights on my duty guns and not a single problem. I was a Glock armorer and we serviced 285 Glocks per year, NONE of them had issues. Tennifer finish, big bright dots, priced right. They are good to go!

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    ... they didn't hold me back any.

-rvb

I recently heard the same line about 9 Grenade from a regional GM...less than a month later he went back to 38SC.

I'm now convinced that the phrase "didn't hold me back" actually means "sucks pretty bad, but I can't and/or won't say it bluntly" ;D

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I'll share my experience with TFOs.

They've been on my Glock for about 18 months now, probably 2500-2800 rounds now if I had to estimate. The gun has been dropped twice in that time, once in gravel, once on concrete. The sights haven't broken and are still working great.

The only issue I've had is that the front sight vial started to come loose/out of the front sight housing. I *lightly* tapped it back into place with a rubber mallet and it hasn't moved since.

OWG4CY5.jpg

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I recently heard the same line about 9 Grenade from a regional GM...less than a month later he went back to 38SC.

I'm now convinced that the phrase "didn't hold me back" actually means "sucks pretty bad, but I can't and/or won't say it bluntly" ;D

:D
    well, I didn't choose to put them on my match gun, so I obviously don't like them as well.... but other than the FS being a couple hundredths wider, there's not much difference in sight picture.

I like a FS tritium for the same reason I like FS FO, just helps draw my eye to the FS when the light's not ideal. Not necessary most of the time but a big help in the wrong conditions....

.38super FTMFW.

-rvb

Top Bottom