• ...and so much more!
  • Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Nobody has any solutions ?
    I am going to stay away from center hold pumpkins on a post at 6 O'Clock and assume that you are doing everything correctly.
    If it's not you and the gun is actually shooting high for how you want to sight it, then the front sight is too high.
    I have been there and done that.
    Different heights of front sights for Glocks are available from many sources.
    There is a little similar triangle exercise that you use to find out what height of front sight you need.
    Shoot your gun at the range you want it to be dead center with the hold that you want use.
    Let's say you shoot it at 10 yards and it's shooting 2" high.
    10 yards X 3 feet/ yard X 12 inches/foot = 360 inches
    Now you nee one more piece of data, the distance from the back sight to the front sight on your handgun, lets say 5 1/2"
    Using similar triangles,
    X/5 1/2 = 2/360
    X= .03 inches
    So the top of the sight, or the center of the dot, depending on which hold you are using needs to be moved DOWN .03"
    Now you have enough knowledge to call around and find the front sight you need.
    Or get an adjustable rear sight if you want to be that guy.:D

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    r03xfs.jpeg

I am meaning that sight picture #2 is the correct POA for the bull at most used distances.

I imagine you guys though I was talking about #1 :)

#1 is a real 6 o'clock hold, image 2 is a traditional sight picture, if I used number three and was hitting in the crosshair I would consider myself shooting low. I've owned probably every serious SD handgun out there and by using number 2 i've always hit fine.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The dots are not the sights, the post and notch are- #2 is the one to use.

...unless you are using "Big Dot" sights....or find yourself hunting water buffalo with a rifle with express sights.

Shootsforfun

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    Indianapolis
    From 100yrds on in I aim center mass and hit center mass. No Kentucky windage here. It is more likely your grip, maybe pushing with the heel of your hand.

My Gen 3 (and a Gen 1 that I had) is center mass MOM at 100 yards with the front sight on the target.

What? The OP is talking about a Glock 17. I seriously doubt you guys are shooting handguns at 100yards with any accuracy...

patricktjms

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Springport, Indiana
    I am going to stay away from center hold pumpkins on a post at 6 O'Clock and assume that you are doing everything correctly.
    If it's not you and the gun is actually shooting high for how you want to sight it, then the front sight is too high.
    I have been there and done that.
    Different heights of front sights for Glocks are available from many sources.
    There is a little similar triangle exercise that you use to find out what height of front sight you need.
    Shoot your gun at the range you want it to be dead center with the hold that you want use.
    Let's say you shoot it at 10 yards and it's shooting 2" high.
    10 yards X 3 feet/ yard X 12 inches/foot = 360 inches
    Now you nee one more piece of data, the distance from the back sight to the front sight on your handgun, lets say 5 1/2"
    Using similar triangles,
    X/5 1/2 = 2/360
    X= .03 inches
    So the top of the sight, or the center of the dot, depending on which hold you are using needs to be moved DOWN .03"
    Now you have enough knowledge to call around and find the front sight you need.
    Or get an adjustable rear sight if you want to be that guy.:D

If the front sight was too high, I would be shooting low. But I love the formula and I will definately use this. I am about 10 inches high at 25 yards.

Adrian8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    My new Glock 36 shot high too ..4" at 20 yds. even with a 6 o"clock hold. Glock will send you a rear sight that will give you a lower POI...free. A good gun shop will have a press to push it in so you don"t have to hammer it in. That is what I did.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    What? The OP is talking about a Glock 17. I seriously doubt you guys are shooting handguns at 100yards with any accuracy...

In 2005 I watched a MCSD firearms instructor consistently hit a target at 100 yards at the State Police range in Pendleton. I certainly can't do that with a Glock (probably couldn't do it with a rifle), but I have seen it done with a Glock.

Shootsforfun

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    Indianapolis
    In 2005 I watched a MCSD firearms instructor consistently hit a target at 100 yards at the State Police range in Pendleton. I certainly can't do that with a Glock (probably couldn't do it with a rifle), but I have seen it done with a Glock.

I didn't say that it wasn't possible. Sure you can hit a target at 100 yards with a pistol, I just said it wasn't going to be point of aim accurate...

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

Might have been me. I was there doing that with Deputy Courtney (full time instructor I was instructing with but he has since retired).

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I didn't say that it wasn't possible. Sure you can hit a target at 100 yards with a pistol, I just said it wasn't going to be point of aim accurate...

I aim center mass (albeit the front sight covers the target mostly) and hit center mass with a large grouping. I've never had to "Kentucky windage" my Glocks EVER.

Top Bottom