• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Although not what`s typically thought of when discussing "war movies", 300 is indeed a war movie, and a damned good one. One of my all-time favorites.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Well that being said iguess ill have to read the book. Not much of a reader. I tend to fall sleep. Maybe they have it on cd. Where you can just follow or listen to someone saying the story

The movie doesn't suck if you are looking for a good WWII action flick with a unique story line. I suppose it could suck if you are looking for a documentary that matches the book, or if you don't like Nicholas Cage for some reason. I haven't read the book, because if I had time to read the book, I'd probably just watch some more movies. (Not a book reader)

Lil Bob

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Crown Point, Indiian
    A couple of old ones that I still enjoy today - Where Eagles Dare, and Guns of Navarone. Both movies based from books by Alistair Maclean. A great author that had several of his books turned into movies. Another is - In Harms Way with John Wayne and Kirk Douglas. I still enjoy watching these today.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I feel the need to clarify my "love" of WWI history.

I find it tremendously fascinating to read about the politics, history and mindset that existed both before and during the war.

However, I also tear up every time I think of the reality of life at the front - any front. For some reason it overwhelms me to think of the 10's of millions of casualties of that war that were scarred for the rest of their lives. The thousands of men that suffered PTSD for their entire lives without any treatment, even group therapy.

And yet, the use of fighter planes for the first time, the use of poison gas in significant quantity, the perfection of artillery. Did you know that it was during WWI that they calculated the rotation of the earth on its axis while the shell was in flight? I find that astounding.

I read a diary of an American aviator in WWI titled, "Warbirds, Diary of an Unknown Aviator." The first three quarters of the book were training in England, parties and drunken brawls. The last quarter of the book was hell, describing how one pilot would fly with both booze and a stomach relaxant depending upon how he felt that day. All of the movies I watch of that time are so moving they do make my eyes water up.

For some reason I don't get the same feeling about any other war. I think it is the scale of the horror of that war that both draws me and repels me at the same time.

Then we cross into the history of the spread of the damned Spanish Influenza outbreak and the hundreds of thousands of lives lost in the United States due to censorship and misinformation from the government to "protect morale" that makes my blood boil even more, and sympathize with the innocent civilians that needlessly died simply due to a lack of good information.

Doug

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Although not what`s typically thought of when discussing "war movies", 300 is indeed a war movie, and a damned good one. One of my all-time favorites.

Yes, it is. Unfortunately the sequel was nearly as terrible as 300 was good.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    How about The Longest Day? Lots of big actors, like John Wayne, Henry Fonda. It's s pretty decent account of D-Day from the American perspective.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    From the people I've talked to that were over there, Jarhead is very accurate. Black Hawk Down is probly my favorite. Gettysburg is really good. Behind Enemy Lines is good too.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    How about The Longest Day? Lots of big actors, like John Wayne, Henry Fonda. It's s pretty decent account of D-Day from the American perspective.

Yep...Too many big stars to name in that one....I liked Richard Burton's character and the scene where the camera started on Burton and kept pulling back until it was way up and above and you saw literally thousands of actors moving in on a position yet you could still see the little dot that was Burton leading the assault...Very powerful...Akira Kurosawa later used a similar shot in "Ran"....If Kurosawa is using a shot you know you did well...

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    A lot of great movies, I would like to add an obscure one; Ride With the Devil. It is about the guerrilla war in Missouri during the Civil War. It's not very well known because it was panned by reviewers, but is an interesting film.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Apocalypse now

That was 5 hours of my life I can't get back. After watching it the first time I thought to myself, what's wrong with me? Why did I hate what is considered to be one of the greatest films of all time? So I watched it again. I still hated hated it.:dunno:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    That was 5 hours of my life I can't get back. After watching it the first time I thought to myself, what's wrong with me? Why did I hate what is considered to be one of the greatest films of all time? So I watched it again. I still hated hated it.:dunno:

You are not alone. That movie sucks. Probably one of the most overrated films of all time.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

You are not alone. That movie sucks. Probably one of the most overrated films of all time.

Not every movie is for every person.
    And I didn't like it either.

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    Sands of Iwo Jima.

Flags of Our Fathers.

Letters From Iwo Jima

The last two were directed by Clint Eastwood, and tell the same battle from both sides perspectives.

I am reading thru all these movies listed and agreeing with about 92% of them . Then I read Post #52 talking about Clint Eastwood movies. I remember another of his movies I always liked. "Kelly's Heroes" Not realistic, it was irreverent, but I liked it everytime I see it.

Last edited:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    A lot of great movies, I would like to add an obscure one; Ride With the Devil. It is about the guerrilla war in Missouri during the Civil War. It's not very well known because it was panned by reviewers, but is an interesting film.

Plus it's got Jewel in it!!! Great flick...Arguably one of the best I have ever seen on that era...The Leatherhead Shop on Bardstown Road in Louisville made some of the leather gear for the film...The research was so great down to the pockets on their Bushwhacker Shirts for spare cylinders...

[video=youtube;a0asSaCVDzw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0asSaCVDzw[/video]

[video=youtube;F8Vwm6dBQI8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8Vwm6dBQI8[/video]

Top Bottom