• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • prowland

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Greenwood
    Last time i went into a gun shop one of the regulars was actually more help than the guy behind the counter. Every time the guy behind the counter walked away the regular would chime in and tell me a few things the worker was leaving out.

I left without making a purchase and after doing some more research the regular knew what he was talking about. He saved me some money!

I also second the comment about having to walk around the regulars and not being able to look into at the guns because they are sitting there with their dogs and talking about being off the oxygen tank for a few days...

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    there is a store in the greenwood that i went to a few times and was choked out cigar smoke and the staff that wasnt interested in my questions when trying to decide which model i wanted. i dont mind that the regulars that spend hours in the shop and are buddies with the employees chat it up, but id at least like to be treated as a paying customer. also when i was there a younger guy was looking to purchase his first weapon and was treated like he was a moron who didnt deserve to hold a pistol in THEIR store.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I won't mention the shop name, but there is a shop near me I will not give my business. It would have to be an outrageous deal..... The few times I've been in there when i enquire about a gun, of any type it seems (bayonets included....), he tells me how he is getting screwed/impossible to budge on a price/ or just whining in general. I would understand if he can't budge on a price, I understand, but if I haven't even tried to haggle or anything, please keep the whining to yourself. the shop atmosphere is a bit abrasive to say the least. The shops I enjoy and give my money to are the very laid back shops. When I see older guys drinking coffee just hanging out, that's a good sign! I'm 25 yrs old, and I enjoy talking to the older guys about what's goin on locally. I like the barbershop atmosphere!

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    ... Another thing, I don expect the salesman, especially in a smaller shop, to know EVERYTHING about EVERY gun in the shop, I appreciate when the salesman will say what he knows, but admits that he is no expert on a particular product. Especially when you have asked a question already knowing the answer, but just want to see what they will do to sell a product.

stacks067

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    New Haven
    I can understand what the employee was thinking but I don't understand why he would get upset about it. You wanted to purchase a gun. He should have been happy. I would have done the same thing your friend did. If they don't want my business their are guns at other shops.

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    there is a newish store down in mooresville called Indy Tactical Supply. was in that area for work and decided to check it out. not the biggest selection but the staff was awesome. spoke to Matt i believe and had a nice long chat with him about a wide variety of subjects in reguards to firearms and such. allthough i live 30 mins away and gas is $4/gal, i will take my businees there from now on when it comes to any gun purchases!! my YHM Phantom 5.56 is being ordered there soon

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    The guys attitude determines if I buy.

I have so far always been treated well when entering a shop, but my age (50) and grey hair helps I think. I don't buy from big box chain stores unless something is a really good buy.

As far as the local gun stores, I have two in my town. The first one is small and has a limited selection. But the guy here is super, no pressure, good prices and eager to serve. With his limited selection he has to order many items, but he can get it to me in a couple of days.

The other guy, I've been in his shop twice. Better selection, but higher pricing. I'll pay the higher price if the service is there, but unfortunately its not. Twice I've been looking for something he didn't have and he acted like he was doing me a huge favor by looking up a price. (which was $40 higher than anywhere else) So, I buy my stuff from Shop 1 and will not go back to shop 2. I'll give anyone a break for poor service or attitude once, everyone has a bad day, but if I get it twice I won't go back. Its my money and I decide where to spend it. Your not doing me a favor selling me something I want.

Gareth

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had to buy the one in the display case once because it was the only one they had. He told me when I said I wanted it that it may be the only one but that he would go look. Sure enough it was the only one. I had no problem with that mostly because he was nice about it.

When I purchased the SR40 that was on display at PSS, the pleasant young fellow behind the counter went to the stock room to find another one, but came back expressing a quiet frown. Since there wasn't a thing wrong with the display pistol, I happily accepted it.

Darrel's Custom Guns, located in Cayuga, is one shop I will never again patronize. Gun shop owners, or their employees who threaten to "arrest" paying customers for carrying personal protection handguns openly, or visibly printed not only need to educate themselves on related Indiana laws, they can most certainly kiss my you-know-what.

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    I expect to be treated in a friendly manner - simple as that. But I expect that in any type of store not just gun stores. I can spend my money anywhere and if I get a bad vibe from a shop I'll shake their dust from my sandals and go elsewhere. Gun shops are a dime a dozen... :twocents:

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Darrel's Custom Guns, located in Cayuga, is one shop I will never again patronize. Gun shop owners, or their employees who threaten to "arrest" paying customers for carrying personal protection handguns openly, or visibly printed not only need to educate themselves on related Indiana laws, they can most certainly kiss my you-know-what.

WoW, this would **** me off......

Now for my rant, Local stores 10 being the best , 1 the worst.

H&H - service is better but still lacking. I will never forget being told what the law was and that I was fine taking my new purchase to the range. It was INGO that informed me otherwise. Granted, when I printed the law out and made the trip to talk with the same guy, he did admit he was wrong. I still do not frequent the store because of so so service and high prices. (3)

21st - long drive but great service! Prices sometimes great sometimes on the high side but at least I was told why it was higher. (7)

Precision Arms - Fair selection, great service, fair prices (7)

Midwest Gun Exchange - Fantastic selection, great service, high prices (6)

Tomlinson's - Fantastic Service, Fair selection, fair prices (8)

Ranger Supply - Higher prices, small selection but to be fair I have only been there once (5)

Gander Mountain FW -----ahh...(4) but better than H&H

Warsaw Shops
    Albertsons - Super HIGH prices , Fair selection, service ok (5)
    One other can not remember , but great service, small selection but I would purchase from them.

So you can tell that Tomlinson's is my favorite, If I were to place an order I will always check there first, and if I can get cheaper, they always understand and encourage me to take advantage of the better pricing.

Rant off..

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    WoW, this would **** me off......

Now for my rant, Local stores 10 being the best , 1 the worst.

H&H - service is better but still lacking. I will never forget being told what the law was and that I was fine taking my new purchase to the range. It was INGO that informed me otherwise. Granted, when I printed the law out and made the trip to talk with the same guy, he did admit he was wrong. I still do not frequent the store because of so so service and high prices. (3)

21st - long drive but great service! Prices sometimes great sometimes on the high side but at least I was told why it was higher. (7)

Precision Arms - Fair selection, great service, fair prices (7)

Midwest Gun Exchange - Fantastic selection, great service, high prices (6)

Tomlinson's - Fantastic Service, Fair selection, fair prices (8)

Ranger Supply - Higher prices, small selection but to be fair I have only been there once (5)

Gander Mountain FW -----ahh...(4) but better than H&H

Warsaw Shops
    Albertsons - Super HIGH prices , Fair selection, service ok (5)
    One other can not remember , but great service, small selection but I would purchase from them.

So you can tell that Tomlinson's is my favorite, If I were to place an order I will always check there first, and if I can get cheaper, they always understand and encourage me to take advantage of the better pricing.

Rant off..

You think Ranger has higher prices? Seriously? Their prices are almost always lower than anyone else within an hour drive. You can get equal prices or in some cases a bit better at 21st century if you want to haggle some. But Ranger has good prices from the get go. Certainly not the inventory of H&H or 21st but they do have quite a bit. A long way from when they moved to the new store.

Split

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2009
    Evansville
    When I come in looking for a very specific gun and you don't have it; don't spend the next 20 minutes telling me that something you have in stock or something that you like better would be "just as good".

I am an intelligent informed customer that researches products obsessively. I know exactly what I want. If you don't have it or can't order it, I have nothing else to speak with you about. You continuing to argue with me about what I want while I patiently listen is doing nothing but assuring I will never purchase from your establishment.

I went to 6 local gun stores yesterday, only one of them wanted to tell me what I needed instead of listening to what I wanted, my gun shop trips will now only include 5 local stores.

Last edited:

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In

I have noticed a attitude from the staff at darrels also. There is not really a clear timeline for when you will recieve your firearm back from being modified either. When having work done on my Rem 870 i dropped it off and was told they were way behind. Month later I got it back. I had a trigger job done and oversize safety installed and a magazine extinsion put on. The prices are not outrageios there but the staff has a its my way or the highway attitude. I was told when i brought the 870 in, if its loaded your getting a boot in your ass. There is a sign that says if you hand a employee a loaded gun you will be charged 25$ also. Not sure about the open carry thing. Maybe Darrels is not going to recieve anymore business from me.

Daniel686

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    Terre Haute
    Well a gun in the display case, is not like a normal display piece. Like you would find in department stores. A gun shop usually puts the guns out that are for sale. And when people handle these firearms it is under supervision and the gun is still like new when your purchase them. But i do expect a gun shop to be some what friendly. Just like any retail outfit i visit. And they should have explained to your friend the way a gun in the display case works!

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

That's odd. I've openly carried there several times, as have others I was with. :dunno:

It has never been an issue.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Well a gun in the display case, is not like a normal display piece. Like you would find in department stores. A gun shop usually puts the guns out that are for sale. And when people handle these firearms it is under supervision and the gun is still like new when your purchase them.

I have bought 2 display pieces at Midwest Gun Exchange but not because they were the only ones left. The salesman I deal with usually brings out several for me to inspect and then choose the one I want and on 2 occasions the displays had nicer finish, wood, etc..

Top Bottom