• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pmpmstrb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    I always hear people say not to shoot Wolf because it is a really dirty ammo. When I do a search I get all different kinds of answers. Has anyone here shot it? What are your opinions of it? I ask because I just came across this.

MidwayUSA - Wolf Ammunition 9mm Luger 115 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point Steel Case Berdan Primed Box of 50
    MidwayUSA - Wolf Ammunition 9mm Luger 115 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point Steel Case Berdan Primed Box of 500 (10 Boxes of 50)
    MidwayUSA - Wolf Ammunition 9mm Luger 115 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point Steel Case Berdan Primed Case of 1000 (20 Boxes of 50)

Not figuring shipping it's anywhere between 13.19 and 13.98 cents per round. Figuring shipping on 1000 makes it 14.77 cents per round. The next cheapest ammo to that is WWB which I can get for 17.57 per round after tax using the gpa in law's discount card at wally-world. The difference between buying 1000 of each puts a $28 favor to the Wolf which is essentially another 189rnds.

So back to my original question. Is Wolf really as bad as people make it out to be? I have a newer Glock 19. I don't need anymore ammo, but that is a very good deal.

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    Of the thousands I've shot through the AR I've only encountered one stuck case, it came out easy. As far as pistol ammo, only every once in a while I'll get a spent case stuck when the slide operates.

I shoot the Wolf in the XD and a Glock, they seem to do ok, but the 1911 isn't too fond of it.

For the price I like it, and it's not like I don't clean my guns after, so the dirtiness doesn't bother me.

Good for plinking.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I try to stay away from it. I have had several cases of 45 Wolf ammo split in my autos. One actually locked up my M&P 45. Plus I shoot 45 acp wheelguns which Wolf ammo is a no go with.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    At the Indy gun show the glock armorer has blown up guns from using wolf ammo. I think the issue is with the twist rate and bullet material. This is just what he says. By no means am I saying he is the be all end all of glock knowledge.

A point however for the WWB. These are reloadable cases. If you save your brass, in the future you could reload that ammo for cheaper than if you had to buy brass. You could also sell brass. There are a few people around this forum who buy spent brass. Myself included:)

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    To tell you the truth they have a point on the brass, I've shot Wolf for years and I'd rather spend a bit more and have brass to show after. Once you get into reloading, you'll never go back.

I usually only buy it when it's a price that's too good to be true.

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    I have used and still have on my shelf Wolf in:
    7.62x39
    9mm
    .45acp
    I have fired several thousand rounds through various guns with zero problems.
    Granted Most of my rifles are Russian or eastern block manufacture.
    My FM Hi-Power and RI .45 will eat wolf all day as will my Hi-Point Carbines.

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    My ar eats the **** like its going out of style. Who cares about being dirty, if its just for plinking, also if you clean your guns like your supposed to then you have nothing to worry about. I mean honestly if it wasn't good ammo, no one would buy it and they would be out of business.

Don,
    A happy user of wolf ammo.

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    It has an unusual odor, but I've shot the heck out of it in my AR's with zero problems. In excess of 2000 rounds.

At the Indy gun show the glock armorer has blown up guns from using wolf ammo.
    Unless he actually has them on hand, I'd want solid proof. If it's who I think it is, he has more crap than Carter has pills. Nice guy, good salesman, but gets carried away with the BS. Don't believe his US Marshals stories (if he still tells them). Or FBI or Secret Service or....

ick

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2008
    NWI
    It's fine for crappy ammo.

I just can't stand steel cases. Brass is so much shinier. ;)

hippykiller

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Johnson Co.
    I have shot about 500rds of the .223 out of a dpms ar15, and the wife has shot about 150rds of the 9mm out of a Glock 26. Personally I have never had a problem with it. Although the wife has had some failures to extract from the glock. As some have said before it is pretty dirty and the accuracy is lacking compared to higher priced ammo. As far as the smell goes I have found Remington's UMC .223 oder to be much more acrid.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I put some through my brothers Makarov this weekend as it's all that Bradis had for target for it... I've got powder burns all over my hand and it looks like I've been working on an engine or something, even after tons and tons of scrubbing. It was also belching clouds of smoke every round.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    I bought a case of 1000 last year of .223 62grain for $163 and that was the worst $163 I have ever spent. I could not run more than 80 rounds through my ARs without cases sticking. Clean them and good to go for another 80 rounds. Not what I call a good day at the range.
    I now shoot REM UMC and have since the wolf is gone and have had no problems.... not a single one.

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    What brand of AR? 5.56 or .223 chamber(s)??

I bought a case of 1000 last year of .223 62grain for $163 and that was the worst $163 I have ever spent. I could not run more than 80 rounds through my ARs without cases sticking. Clean them and good to go for another 80 rounds. Not what I call a good day at the range.
    I now shoot REM UMC and have since the wolf is gone and have had no problems.... not a single one.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    It's fine for crappy ammo.

I just can't stand steel cases. Brass is so much shinier. ;)

I prefer brass because I am a reloader, however steel cases are easy to pick up with a magnet on a rope.

It is the aluminum cases that I hate. Can't reload them and you can't use a magnet to pick them up.

Top Bottom