• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KevinH

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I recently bought an SKS and some Wolf ammo to feed it. It might be a bit dirtier than good old US of A made, but that is what they were designed to shoot. I have read posts asking how often should you clean a Glock, (own 2 and looking for more). They are forgiving but they should be given proper care with clean or dirty ammo. If you are concerned with the barrel having problems during extended range time get a Bore Snake and run it through every 100 rounds or so. Takes 10 seconds. :ar15:My wife says the Wolf throws more fire out the front. Cool!

theblackknight

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Ive heard the old stuff was laquer coated and would feed fine till the gun cools down.then things gum up. the new stuff is polymer coated.idk know bout it.

i do know alot of the guys at knob creek shoot it for obvious reasons.Once i break my AR in Ill have to try it.

I use WWB for my handy and surplus privi 5.56(M193) for the AR.

nobletucky

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I have shot a total ballpark figure of around 2-3000 rounds of Wolf ammo (7.62x39 and 9mm to be exact). It smells funny, leaves a hint of green on your fingers when you load clips, and does come w/ the annoying brown papers floating everywhere at the end of the day, but I will continue to use it. Its cheap, its effective, and I personaly don't believe it is half as bad as everyone says it is. I do not see any mechanical or down range issues w/ the firearms I have shot, nor when consider the make of ammo. I like Wolf, I've used it, will continue to use it, and will continue to stock up on it as well....Thats my TWO CENTS

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Fenway, heck, I thought he was referring to loading stripper clips! :P

I really like the stuff - in my SKS and M-N M44. The SKS has had exactly one malfunction with it - a falure to eject - and I can't be sure it was the ammo. I couldn't find anything wrong with the gun, but the case spec'd to the others as well. Probably just got some dirt under the extractor - the SKS had not been cleaned well in several hundred rounds by that time.

I'm actually a bit leery of using American ammo in my SKS due to the firing pin not being spring loaded. America uses soft primers; Russia uses hard primers.

That said, I've never fired steel cased ammo from my 1911 or any other American firearm.

For you AR shooters, I received a magazine the other day (can't find it right now). I think it was Sportsman's Guide but am not sure. At any rate, they had Wolf advertising brass cased ammo - it wasn't Wolf Gold or anything like that, but a new line that comes in plain white boxes for not much more than standard Wolf steel cased ammo.

Josh <><

P.S. Yes, the smell is kinda' funky, but I've grown to like it. I almost think this stuff is near black powder as it smells like sulfur to me. J.S.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Fenway, heck, I thought he was referring to loading stripper clips! :P

I really like the stuff - in my SKS and M-N M44. The SKS has had exactly one malfunction with it - a falure to eject - and I can't be sure it was the ammo. I couldn't find anything wrong with the gun, but the case spec'd to the others as well. Probably just got some dirt under the extractor - the SKS had not been cleaned well in several hundred rounds by that time.

I'm actually a bit leery of using American ammo in my SKS due to the firing pin not being spring loaded. America uses soft primers; Russia uses hard primers.

That said, I've never fired steel cased ammo from my 1911 or any other American firearm.

For you AR shooters, I received a magazine the other day (can't find it right now). I think it was Sportsman's Guide but am not sure. At any rate, they had Wolf advertising brass cased ammo - it wasn't Wolf Gold or anything like that, but a new line that comes in plain white boxes for not much more than standard Wolf steel cased ammo.

Josh <><

P.S. Yes, the smell is kinda' funky, but I've grown to like it. I almost think this stuff is near black powder as it smells like sulfur to me. J.S.

It was Sportsman's Guide... I saw the stuff yesterday and was like... huh.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Yup, what this tells me is that Wolf is listening to what the people want, more so than many American companies.

Josh <><

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Wolf ammo is like a hot gal with HIV....you're tempted by the cheap price but it dirty as all hell.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Teh brass cased stuff that is cheap like Wolf is usually Igman/Prvi Partisan/Wolf Gold. It's all Prvi, which isnt that bad (somewhat dirty, but not as much as Wolf steel, however much much more consistant and reliable). Arfcom had someone that did a test on the "m193" that Prvi produces to find the velocity was only slightly lower, but the bullet fragmented in jugs (just like Federal or Winchester M193), wherein steel cased Wolf did not, not to mention having terrible variances in bullet weight and velocity.

Prvi also has a M855 copy that is not bad. Very close in velocity but also has the penetrator. That being said, I have three "battlepacks" of the M193 as a back up to my 69gr. Matchkings and M855 handloads. If it fragments, it makes my grade...:D

So many of the American companies are relying on the laurels of their past products to "keep" Americans. The American stuff is GREAT ammo, but one must be very informed of what type to get. The difference between Q3131 and Q3131A is HUGE! As for pricing, most of the ammo being shot up by people online were purchases (cases) that were from the days of cheap ammo. We flinch when we see $10 Q3131 now, but back then, it was FAR cheaper. Yes, import ammo has not gone up in price, however, it has a history of unreliability in SOME brands and can be cut off in an instant (import ban). I trust my Prvi, but I will continue to stock up on Q3131 or my handloads.

TRLREDY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have to agree that it is pretty dirty but every round I have loaded has went "bang" and went where I pointed it at....at least close to what I was aiming at!:D

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Reps are welcomed! :D

...but seriously, I know it's cheap and decently accurate(sometimes) but I just can't stand putting slimy bullets into my guns, it's almost like child abuse.

Top Bottom