• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Only made it about three pages into the thread before I realized that the only thing I was going to learn was that the butthurt will be strong if you slay someone's sacred cow.

Reminds me, did anyone ever take up that guy's offer to attend his class and have the class and ammo covered for free if their 1911 didn't choke? ... I think it was Rob Pincus ... the offer might also have been limited to officer's model 1911's.
    Hey now, that's a "handsome" sacred cow....

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    On a serious note ... at a recent class, the discussion came up about "fanboyism" without the actual term being used. Some pretty good observations were made. One of the best summaries was that we marry ourselves to our chosen equipment or technique because we have invested capital and ego in obtaining it. It's very hard to divorce oneself from this investment without admitting a mistake or the fact that there might have been a better option when the original choice was made.

The discussion originated with the instructors because they had initially identified a piece of gear that they felt would likely not last the whole day of training. Instead of calling out the student, the instructors pressed forward with the training and this particular gear failed less than an hour into training. The student had to fall back to plan B and training was accomplished. At the end of the day, they asked the student what he thought of his gear and he said (paraphrased) that it sucked and he wasn't even going to bother with the warranty. He was just going to save up and replace it with a higher quality item. The instructors then asked him to think about how he would have reacted if they had called him out before the day even got started ... they asked all of us how we would have reacted if we had been called out about anything we brought to class. The point was made that sometimes, we need to get out and push ourselves and our gear to the limit before we become fanboys.

^^^^ This. I am a big fan of certain gear because I have used it in training and never had any problems. But there is also a lot of gear that I have stopped using as I found it to be a hindrance in most of the situations that I never thought of before the training.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    WD well said...

As to the original post, I think the instructor has lost some credibility over that concept/statement. Personally I love my 1911A1's, as much as I love my revolvers and Beretta 92's. If you can't operate a firearm safely then yes you are going to injure someone else or yourself. All tools have operating procedures that are required to operate them safely and not all tools use the same procedures. Learn your tool and use it...

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I used to be a hardcore SIG guy. I hated Glocks. I wanted a metal gun.

I fell in love with Glock after trading a 1911 I had for a Glock 19. I ended up selling my SIG, and the G19 became my EDC.

I hate anything that is SA or DA/SA. I shot a DAO Beretta M92 last weekend. Very nice gun, but it's no Glock.

Also became a fan of the S&W M&P recently, after not caring much for them for years. I don't want to like it, but I'm glad I do. I see it taking over as my EDC very soon. I carry it every now and again.

Top Bottom