How confident are you in your carry gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buffalohump

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2012
    Mine is a colt & it is clean, Ammo is new, no reloads. Fires every time. If I were on the other end, I wouldn't bet on a miss fire

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    My primary carry gun is a Ruger SR9c. I've got probably 500 rounds through it. I've had two other SR9's, with probably 1000 rounds between them. Not once has any of the three had any issue. Every round fired as it should. There was quite a variety among the rounds, too. I've got total confidence in this gun. My full-size SR9 is my primary home defense gun.

I occasionally carry an LCP. I've probably got 250 or so rounds through it. It had a couple of FTF's in the first 6 rounds of a certain brand of ammo, but has been flawless since. (I can't remember what it was, but people had said at the time it would have problems in this gun. I recently fired the last 19 rounds from that box and they all went off without a hitch. I'll edit if I can think of the name.) I now use Hornady Critical Defense, and occasionally Remington Golden Saber. It hasn't had an issue with either. SO, yes, I'm confident enough to trust it for the defense of me and my family.

Truth is, either gun would not be my carry gun if I did not have confidence in them.

Atkinsons

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Greenwood, IN
    I know that my carry gun's will function because I train with them. I know that if by chance they jam I can clear it and still defend myself. Through training you learn to function through the stress of the given situation and prevail in the end! Enough said!

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    S&W J frame, hammerless, smoothed action, full power springs; five for sure, even through a pocket, if necessary.

I've been practicing my Mozambique (but not through my jacket pocket), in case I want to go to the theater.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I've gotten rid of guns before because I didn't trust them to go bang every time. I've never had any type of malfunction with my M&P. I trust it completely.

That being said, I also train and know how to clear malfunctions if they were to occur.

indianaarsenal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2012
    valparaiso IN
    all the real glock owners raise what is left of their right hand... :) could not resist.. glocks are ok, but used to work at a professional reloader and could not tell you how many light firing pin strikes we would see on primers from departments with glocks. or parts of those early .40 glocks that we made several sets of book ends out of when they blew up. 5 in a year, but that was with federal hydro shocks. tried to blame the reloads except most had the factory hydro shock bullet in the barrel.. oops

my carry gun is a sig .40 and never ever has any kind of issues with it.

I could not resist bulding a glock 18 from a gen 3 17 9mm and that thing does not like to be dirty I have to clean it every 500 rnds or so when out shooting or it gets real sluggish.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    all the real glock owners raise what is left of their right hand... :) could not resist.. glocks are ok, but used to work at a professional reloader and could not tell you how many light firing pin strikes we would see on primers from departments with glocks. or parts of those early .40 glocks that we made several sets of book ends out of when they blew up. 5 in a year, but that was with federal hydro shocks. tried to blame the reloads except most had the factory hydro shock bullet in the barrel.. oops
    a coup

I could not resist bulding a glock 18 from a gen 3 17 9mm and that thing does not like to be dirty I have to clean it every 500 rnds or so when out shooting or it gets real sluggish.

I've shot hundreds of rounds out of my G19 with the only issue being couple of hand loaded frangible rounds (not mine)that didn't fully eject. It WILL go bang when I pull the trigger. My other carry piece is a Smith 642. That gun will simply go bang with what ever 38 Special rounds you put in it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Even the most reliable gun is still a piece of machinery. Your ammo was also loaded on a piece of machinery. Machinery can and will fail. There is a whole lot of movement going on within all those machinery components, most of which we have no way of checking or controlling.

A much better question is what is your plan for when your gun doesn't work?

Kw1P

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Mishawaka

i shoot my glock alot and have never had a ftf or any other problem let alone an explosion.

indianaarsenal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2012
    valparaiso IN
    ok let me clerify. most of the glock .40 I have seen blow up were the early units, where they basically took a 9mm barrel and made it into a .40 cal. there was little metal left on the sides. these things were peeling the tops off like bananas. there were all at hammond and gary PD. as for the light firing pin strikes, that is a an ongoing joke with all my friends who I shoot with.. they have FTF and I put them in my sig's and they go bang.. Do not know there..

more recently porter county had a bunch of officers trade in their back up glocks due to a little issue with them braking/ jamming in the wrong situations. I guess an officer had the gun jam and hit the perp with the glock and shattered the frame.. oops..

after that I have a long time friend who I have pics somewhere of who blew up a .45 compact glock. thank god he only needed a few stitches. they were shooting hot subgun reloads in a military 1911 and he put some in the glock .. that gun went bang bang boom!!

this is pretty common I guess.. just google " glock thumb" or " glock blown up" . there are even some videos on youtube on this

I am a gunsmith and it amazes me everyday what dumb **** people with do with firearms and still attempt to shoot them...

Top Bottom