• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    i started watching that show survivors somebody posted on here a few weeks ago. and its got me thinking. im in complicated situation so thats why im asking

im 19, in college, only have a summer job, limited space...but i want to start prepping. what can i do? i have my main SHTF gun (AR15) and a glock 19 and have 1000 rounds each. i add to that when i can. but what else should i start getting

btw i already have bug out location. my family owns a woods and some farm land about 15 min outside town. we have 40 acres of farm ground and 30 acres of woods. has a nice cabin, wood cook stove outside, outhouse, shed, and a barn.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Get skillls, which will be the complete opposite of the "What crap did you buy today to feel like a prepper" threads.

Shoot the gun, reaload with a buddy, start a garden and learn to can, cook, build a fire with a single match, stay in shape to hike 50 miles with 50 pounds, camp in the woods often.

The more you can DO, the less you will feel like BUYING.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    6birds gave excellent advice. However, if you still feel the need to make purchases, put up some canned goods at your families cabin, go there and cut/split wood whenever you can......Aside from that and learning skills, begin to build a library specific to survival/living off the grid/how to type stuff.

seanamus

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    have more then a weeks worth of food, then a months, then a half year, then a year much easier said then done =(

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    i actually know most of thise stuff.i grew up with my grandparents and me and my grandpa used to camp in the woods and he tought me the basics of gardening and surviving in the woods. but thats great advice! when i get home ill definetly be camping out when i can. im a college athlete so im in pretty decent shape i think haha

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    What's your plan B? Suppose your cabin is occupied by someone else, or something like the threat of radiation makes staying there unwise? Where do you go then.
    Can you field dress a critter, can you fish, can you start a fire without matches/lighter, can you be absolutely ruthless....

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    if this is truely i SHTF situation the people in the cabin will be asked to leave once, if they do not leave they will be forced or shot. id hate to be that way but you never know. it might have to be that way. so yes i think i can be ruthless. i hunt and fish when i can. fire starting is something i could work on well though

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    i actually know most of thise stuff.i grew up with my grandparents and me and my grandpa used to camp in the woods and he tought me the basics of gardening and surviving in the woods. but thats great advice! when i get home ill definetly be camping out when i can. im a college athlete so im in pretty decent shape i think haha
    If you have some skills, and some confidence, you're ahead of most. What scenario are you wanting to prep for? Getting home, earthquake, getting through a winter storm for the folks?

Build an event in your head, and build a plan(s) to survive it. Work the plan, test the plan and preps, then adjust the plan.

Enjoy the journey, and take it easy on the tinfoil.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    take it easy on the tinfoil? whats that supposed to mean?

and im not sure what i should really prep for. i just wanna prep in general. anything from natural disaster to a dropped government to zombies

kybares

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    To answer, "what else should I be getting?", considering your budget, I would focus on what you can afford most which is getting your mindset right. That is something many just do not understand, and it is free. Work through in your mind what concerns are most likely to occur and work it through in your mind how and when you would react. Think through how quickly you would react, and how to get from location A to B. How long will that take, and what are you able to take with you. Chances are if you are at school, you are without your AR or Glock. So I would start out with your car is probably perpetually near empty, you are hungry, and like most you are not where you want to be when you realize you need to get moving quickly. Never park your car again without enough gas left to get you where you plan to get to next. Next, would be a bug out bag. (BOB) That can be as simple as last years back pack. Contents vary too greatly to get into detail. But pack it with whatever you deem essential to getting to your destination as if you had to walk, crawl, or swim to get there, in whatever weather season we are in. Count ounces as pounds. Work through this in your head for free, use what you have first, then purchase the most important item next as you can afford to. Keep the bag in your car, so you are ready to start walking if need be. Things to keep in mind are water, shelter, clothing, food, light, small radio, and a way to preserve them all. Also be sure to include your intentions to your parents in reference to your plans. You would sure hate to make it to destination only to find someone is risking all to get to you. After you have these things taken care of, you can look further down the road.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    if this is truely i SHTF situation the people in the cabin will be asked to leave once, if they do not leave they will be forced or shot. id hate to be that way but you never know. it might have to be that way. so yes i think i can be ruthless. i hunt and fish when i can. fire starting is something i could work on well though

If your cabin is occupied, then you, on the outside, are at the disadvantage. You can bet that if they are determined individuals you won't get that stuff back. Burn it down and keep moving.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    To answer, "what else should I be getting?", considering your budget, I would focus on what you can afford most which is getting your mindset right. That is something many just do not understand, and it is free. Work through in your mind what concerns are most likely to occur and work it through in your mind how and when you would react. Think through how quickly you would react, and how to get from location A to B. How long will that take, and what are you able to take with you. Chances are if you are at school, you are without your AR or Glock. So I would start out with your car is probably perpetually near empty, you are hungry, and like most you are not where you want to be when you realize you need to get moving quickly. Never park your car again without enough gas left to get you where you plan to get to next. Next, would be a bug out bag. (BOB) That can be as simple as last years back pack. Contents vary too greatly to get into detail. But pack it with whatever you deem essential to getting to your destination as if you had to walk, crawl, or swim to get there, in whatever weather season we are in. Count ounces as pounds. Work through this in your head for free, use what you have first, then purchase the most important item next as you can afford to. Keep the bag in your car, so you are ready to start walking if need be. Things to keep in mind are water, shelter, clothing, food, light, small radio, and a way to preserve them all. Also be sure to include your intentions to your parents in reference to your plans. You would sure hate to make it to destination only to find someone is risking all to get to you. After you have these things taken care of, you can look further down the road.

thanks for the great info. i do have a little BOB in my jeep but i think i should go through it now and sort out the non important stuff to make room for some more important things. unfortunately i dont have my guns with me. my home is about 30min from school so its not too far of a journey

If your cabin is occupied, then you, on the outside, are at the disadvantage. You can bet that if they are determined individuals you won't get that stuff back. Burn it down and keep moving.

hmm interesting concept

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    Simple start, food+water+warmth+protection. You have a base of protection, thats good. Start working on a 3 day supply for the others, then 3 weeks, then 3 months, you get the idea. Above there were some really good concerns such as making sure you always leave your car on something other than empty or having a backup mode of transportation. Weight is an enemy when walking long distances, so plan for that. In terms of food, MRE's travel well (as compared to 10 cans of veggies and dinty moore beef stew) and they can store for 4+yrs, wouldn't hurt to have a small handfull of them in your dorm (or where ever you live), plus a form of water purification. Get in on a group buy if you can (currently on INGO for $56/case of 12). Buy some small stocks of food if your considering staying where your at for a short term SHTF. Buy food you eat anyway, that way you can rotate your supply. Wouldn't hurt to pre-stock your BOL with some items as well. When you really need it isn't when you want to be trying to buy it. What about longer term, consider freeze dried foods, many can store for up to 30+ yrs. If you have to hike the 30 or 50 or what ever miles to your destination, it's not handy to try to carry that much bottled water. Buy a small (even if it's a straw type) water filter to put in your BOB. Consider shelter if you're unable to reach your destination in a days travel, how will you stay warm if it's winter and your walking (or holed up over night)? Speaking of walking, flipflops aren't going to be the best option, make considerations for that. What about walking at night? What if there's no electricity for a moderate amount of time? Crank up flashlights/emergency radios are something to consider.
    Something that really helped open my eyes a little, was reading. Reading "Lights Out" and "One Second After" brought some instances to my planning that I hadn't previously considered. I'm not saying that things will ever get as bad as they do in these books, but they could, and each book offered ideas that I never even considered. Without question these books did change the ways in which I planned for preps.

Last edited:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    no other suggestions?

The storms tonight are a decent example of some things you should be aware of.If your lights go out do you have a flashlight?If a tornado takes out the building across from you could you help locate survivors and offer first aid?Would you have water to offer someone who was injured?How about clothing,could you go out tonight in the rain and look through rubble to help people with out hypothermia?

Everything I just mentioned should be covered in your go/bug out bag.

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    Stay out of debt. Don't enslave yourself for the next several decades by feeling you have to keep up with the Jones' and have a nice car and house.

Work your ass off and spend less than you make.

Take wise financial risks and do what you enjoy. Live life on the terms you were designed to live it.

Top Bottom