• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • navarre1095

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Meth Vernon
    Get skillls, which will be the complete opposite of the "What crap did you buy today to feel like a prepper" threads.

Shoot the gun, reaload with a buddy, start a garden and learn to can, cook, build a fire with a single match, stay in shape to hike 50 miles with 50 pounds, camp in the woods often.

The more you can DO, the less you will feel like BUYING.

Sage advice. Here is a good place to look.
    Zombie Squad. :draw:
    Zombie Squad • Index page

crawfish

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2011
    south indy
    hows ur soul doin not that i care but u never know other than that no one knows the best way we all have a mind set in our direction one earthquake,flood, fire and it all changes i agree with 6bird ruthless is where its at and we all will be there soon enough guns dont matter when ur eyes r shut and the best always get bettered by another thats why life is a challenge make peace with ur self and be prepared to do anything and if u can make off spring its the true future and if u go they may stay indirectly u win ....good luck

rooster007

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    KINGDOM OF CLERMONT
    look up LDS prepardedness manual

then start looking in your cabinets , next time you go to the grocery , start picking up 2 or 3 extra cans of what you are buying . Then expanding your stores to the basics. Such as flour sugar salt . YOU JUST HAVE TO ADD A LITTLE EACH WEEK . You don't have to go trying to drop a half a mil every week

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    but how much is a good stock? ive heard 3 day, 3 week, 3 month and so on but im in college. i eat differantly everyday depending on my schedule and what i have to eat

You should plan for multiple scenarios. What if you have to leave your home? If so plan for a minimum of 5 days a person. Foodstuffs that you can literally gather in 5 minutes and get moving.

If staying in you home is an option, realistically, you probably wont be able to save for more than 6 months (best case) for a family of 4. If you all by your lonesome, obviously that much easier to do.

Be wary of your "neighbors." If you're stocking up, it's wise to keep that to yourself. It's the old Ant and Grasshopper fable. Odds are, your neighbors arent stocking up, and if they know you are, guess whose door they'll be knocking on when their food runs out? If they are well known to you, you can make some consessions, but not a single one that places you at risk.

+1 Rooster, a can here and there will add up very quickly.

Further, try stockpiling away from your home, in a location close but not too close to you home. If by chance you have to leave your home for some reason, if you have the opportunity to return, you will already have foodstuffs on standby. You do this because in a protracted SHTF scenario, food will start becoming scare. The best play to find food after all the grocery stores have been looted will be people's homes. If you're gone, obviously you cant stop someone from raiding your kitchen. But if your food isn't in the kitchen, but say cleverly hidden in a barn, the trunk of an car on the side of the road, of buried in your back yard, their access to it is limited.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    i started watching that show survivors somebody posted on here a few weeks ago. and its got me thinking. im in complicated situation so thats why im asking

im 19, in college, only have a summer job, limited space...but i want to start prepping. what can i do? i have my main SHTF gun (AR15) and a glock 19 and have 1000 rounds each. i add to that when i can. but what else should i start getting

btw i already have bug out location. my family owns a woods and some farm land about 15 min outside town. we have 40 acres of farm ground and 30 acres of woods. has a nice cabin, wood cook stove outside, outhouse, shed, and a barn.

You have the guns, now get the cabin ready. How much wood is chopped for heat and for cooking? Probably not enough. Chop more. What about stocking it with some basic supplies like wool blankets, cooking supplies, etc??? Are the windows weathertight, how is the roof, etc?

grizman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Home
    You should plan for multiple scenarios. What if you have to leave your home? If so plan for a minimum of 5 days a person. Foodstuffs that you can literally gather in 5 minutes and get moving.

If staying in you home is an option, realistically, you probably wont be able to save for more than 6 months (best case) for a family of 4. If you all by your lonesome, obviously that much easier to do.

Be wary of your "neighbors." If you're stocking up, it's wise to keep that to yourself. It's the old Ant and Grasshopper fable. Odds are, your neighbors arent stocking up, and if they know you are, guess whose door they'll be knocking on when their food runs out? If they are well known to you, you can make some consessions, but not a single one that places you at risk.

Further, try stockpiling away from your home, in a location close but not too close to you home. If by chance you have to leave your home for some reason, if you have the opportunity to return, you will already have foodstuffs on standby. You do this because in a protracted SHTF scenario, food will start becoming scare. The best play to find food after all the grocery stores have been looted will be people's homes. If you're gone, obviously you cant stop someone from raiding your kitchen. But if your food isn't in the kitchen, but say cleverly hidden in a barn, the trunk of an car on the side of the road, of buried in your back yard, their access to it is limited.

Agreed +1.

IF you find your cabin occupied you would be ill advised to attempt removing multiple bad guy's in a defensive position, in a structure you do not wish to destroy, tough nut to crack without training and exp!

Kut, is correct in asking if you can be absolutely ruthless. Survival is as much mind set as it is preparation! Without the proper mind set all the prep's in the world will be of zero value.

I suggest you learn some pathfinder/bush craft skills, learn to hunt, clean and prepare what you harvest. Learn to grow your veggies in a way that doesn't look like a garden from a distance. Be careful not to give your self away in your BOL. Lots of things to consider in order to remain hidden from others. light at night is one, making sure you do not leave a trodden down walking path leading to your hidden BOL. These are just a few examples for you to consider. Make connections like the MSG group in your area.

One man alone, unless highly trained, is most likely not going to survive long term in a total collapse scenario.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN

well my family has their own stockpile going already but i feel like i should fend for myself. i dont know if this is a good thing but i am a very self relient person, i dont like others helping me out with stuff i feel i can do myself. thats why i want to start stockpiling for myself so i dont use there food and ammo. so i think i can stock up a good amount of food for myself to save them some troubles.

as for the neighbors...our only neighbor is really sketchy. we've caugth them breaking into our garage before so we never really have trusted them. we dont get along well with them so we dont talk much. but heres a bad thing. i know they have guns in there house...so if they come wanting stuff should i warn them first or drop them? this is where the ruthless part comes in.

stockpiling away from home is where i think i have it a little better then most people. i cant remember if i posted this on here yet but my family has a location outside town with plenty of farm land and woods with a cabin, barn, and a few other good things. so i think id be able to be putting some stuff out there pretty soon...food and gun/ammo

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    You have the guns, now get the cabin ready. How much wood is chopped for heat and for cooking? Probably not enough. Chop more. What about stocking it with some basic supplies like wool blankets, cooking supplies, etc??? Are the windows weathertight, how is the roof, etc?

our cabin is actually pretty legit. it was built by us a few years ago. metal roof, 2 covered porchs 1 screen in. good windows and a gas stove, heat, and refrigorator. bunk beds, couch, table, and a closest. a sink with plenty of cabinets and counters. but i do realize the gas would run out sometime so my grandpa preppered for that. this past winter we cut over 100 truck loads of wood and is currently being split and stacked now. i would know cause ive been doing it when im home. it sucks

as far as supplies at our cabin we have some stuff but should probably stock up on more. we have some blankets and some cooking stuff.

Agreed +1.

IF you find your cabin occupied you would be ill advised to attempt removing multiple bad guy's in a defensive position, in a structure you do not wish to destroy, tough nut to crack without training and exp!

Kut, is correct in asking if you can be absolutely ruthless. Survival is as much mind set as it is preparation! Without the proper mind set all the prep's in the world will be of zero value.

I suggest you learn some pathfinder/bush craft skills, learn to hunt, clean and prepare what you harvest. Learn to grow your veggies in a way that doesn't look like a garden from a distance. Be careful not to give your self away in your BOL. Lots of things to consider in order to remain hidden from others. light at night is one, making sure you do not leave a trodden down walking path leading to your hidden BOL. These are just a few examples for you to consider. Make connections like the MSG group in your area.

One man alone, unless highly trained, is most likely not going to survive long term in a total collapse scenario.

i grew up in this woods and nobody is gonna stop me from getting it back. i know it like the back of my hand. im really not afraid to die so if it was bad enough i would do anything to get it back. idk if this is weird or not but me and my best friend who also thinks the way i do have scouted my woods and fields marking distances and hidden spots in the woods. im pretty comfortable saying that me and him could easily remove a group from our property. that also depends on how armed they are too...i do know when to just move on cause if they have more guns then me and him im gonna be hesitant

talshu

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Make a list of what you use on a daily basis that you don't think you can live without! Some friends of ours turn their electricity off for one weekend twice a year (summer, winter) and find out real quick what they need to survive and what they don't.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    As far as keeping the cabin unoccupied, a friend of mine has his house rigged with
    tear gas... but you might sit down with the family and have a discussion about emergency
    plans. Some one could take the responsibility to get there asap and secure it.
    Question; is the cabin bullet-resistant ?

Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    Agreed +1.

1. Smoking them out via capping off the chimney (if in use) works well. Be prepared to eliminate the first one out the door. If there are more, they will have to choose to stay and become asphyxiated or surrender. In a dire situation, all should be eliminated to prevent reprisal.

2. I believe you will do what is needed if the situation calls for it. It's within all of us. Remember that when they are shooting back.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Make a list of what you use on a daily basis that you don't think you can live without! Some friends of ours turn their electricity off for one weekend twice a year (summer, winter) and find out real quick what they need to survive and what they don't.

well im out of school now so ive been making a list of a few basics. its still growing, idk when to stop

As far as keeping the cabin unoccupied, a friend of mine has his house rigged with
    tear gas... but you might sit down with the family and have a discussion about emergency
    plans. Some one could take the responsibility to get there asap and secure it.
    Question; is the cabin bullet-resistant ?

tear gas? thats a little much i think. and no its not bullet resistant. its built just like a regular house

1. Smoking them out via capping off the chimney (if in use) works well. Be prepared to eliminate the first one out the door. If there are more, they will have to choose to stay and become asphyxiated or surrender. In a dire situation, all should be eliminated to prevent reprisal.

2. I believe you will do what is needed if the situation calls for it. It's within all of us. Remember that when they are shooting back.

we dont have a chimney as of right now. we are planning on putting on in this summer/fall i think. so to eliminate the first guy that trys to leave will most likely get them to surrendor?

for one thang dont tell wher you bug out place is or your guns are .
    find some mre -candles -a good knifeand anythang you think you need if you wont emall me and ill try to help you .but just thank about it .

idk when you told me to email you? but anyways im looking for some good MRE's, and we have tons of candles around. knives....i have plenty of those lol

Top Bottom