• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    No kids, wife and I both keep ours in the safe when we are not home, and on each of our bedside tables when we are. Our new safe is going to be combo dial... not sure what will change, it will take longer to get open, but we are not comfortable leaving guns unsecured while we are at work. (I work in an enforced no weapons workplace and she in a federal gun free zone.)

Robz703

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Greenwood
    My EDC stays with me all day until I go to bed at night then it stays on my night stand the rest of the night. I keep a few options throughout the house.

Tobryan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Lafayette
    GunVault digital combination lock next to bed. Mine is not anchored, just sits on nightstand. It's been dependable with three battery changes since I bought it back in '98. I have heard several instances where the biometric locks have had problems, even from a couple friends. I get in mine to check the lock mechanism, once a week or so.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Reading with interest as currently have a kid free house at this time. My EDC is in its holster on the nightstand with a light next to it. Shotgun is in a sleeve under the bed.

My thoughts for changes I would make with small kids is to put the pistol up high, well out of reach. That is enough for me to sleep comfortably and not fear a small child wandering into the room while I sleep and getting the weapon. Should also make for reasonably quick access without relying on biometric/electronic safe in the dark under stress. During the day my EDC would be on my hip or if headed to a GFZ in the safe when an exploring child may find a way to climb.

Gonna follow this thread to determine how to handle the shotgun when sleeping with small kids in the house.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Reading with interest as currently have a kid free house at this time. My EDC is in its holster on the nightstand with a light next to it. Shotgun is in a sleeve under the bed.

My thoughts for changes I would make with small kids is to put the pistol up high, well out of reach. That is enough for me to sleep comfortably and not fear a small child wandering into the room while I sleep and getting the weapon. Should also make for reasonably quick access without relying on biometric/electronic safe in the dark under stress. During the day my EDC would be on my hip or if headed to a GFZ in the safe when an exploring child may find a way to climb.

Gonna follow this thread to determine how to handle the shotgun when sleeping with small kids in the house.

Kids WILL find a way to reach things that you think they cannot reach. I would not rely on height alone as a deterrent against a child reaching a gun.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I'm kid free as well so my g23 with light is on the nightstand. My first thought when kids come into play is one of those fake picture frames with hidden storage. Its out of reach, AND unless you show them, they wont even know its there.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Kids WILL find a way to reach things that you think they cannot reach. I would not rely on height alone as a deterrent against a child reaching a gun.

Thanks for the feedback. My thinking was sleepy kids under 7 wandering into my bedroom at night while I was sleeping in the bedroom. I do realize that given enough time they WILL find the resources to get into just about anything. Just seems to me that they could not get up to a seven foot high shelf in the middle of the night while I was in the same room. Little kids are very resourceful but rarely very stealthy. Not arguing with you, just working out ideas in my mind for the future.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Thanks for the feedback. My thinking was sleepy kids under 7 wandering into my bedroom at night while I was sleeping in the bedroom. I do realize that given enough time they WILL find the resources to get into just about anything. Just seems to me that they could not get up to a seven foot high shelf in the middle of the night while I was in the same room. Little kids are very resourceful but rarely very stealthy. Not arguing with you, just working out ideas in my mind for the future.

If the gun leaves the bedroom with you in the morning, then I would think it's not so much a problem. My nightstand gun stays there all the time, so if I did have kids in the house, I'd have to work out something more secure.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    GunVault digital combination lock next to bed. Mine is not anchored, just sits on nightstand.It's been dependable with three battery changes since I bought it back in '98. I have heard several instances where the biometric locks have had problems, even from a couple friends. I get in mine to check the lock mechanism, once a week or so.

Bolt it down. I went this route once with a pistol safe under the nightstand un-attached. When my house was broken into back in May the theives took the whole safe along with the 3 handguns, 2 holsters, ammo and spare mags inside.

I'm kicking myself for not taking the 15 minutes to bolt it down.

xdmdude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    southport
    I don't do a safe just leave my gun on the nightstand. I don't have any kids and if I did I'd do one of the finger print ones I think. I really wouldn't know untill I took a serious look at them. What really get me is when someone posts a pic of their nightstand gun and it's not in a holster with the trigger guard covered. I don't know about you guys but I think I would be a lot more likely to have an a.d. when waking up in a panic at night because I think someone has broke in then during normal business.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    What really get me is when someone posts a pic of their nightstand gun and it's not in a holster with the trigger guard covered. I don't know about you guys but I think I would be a lot more likely to have an a.d. when waking up in a panic at night because I think someone has broke in then during normal business.

If I think that the situation warrants picking up my gun, I don't want a holster in my way. If I don't touch the gun, there will be no AD. If I do touch the gun, I mean business.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    No kids in the house but I use a GunVault. Gun is in my hand in less than 2 seconds. Whatever method you use, make sure you can access it in the dark, under pressure! PRACTICE!

Cable

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    Gunvault Biometric safe with security cable to bed frame.

I programmed it to open with any of my fingerprints and test it every week.

915Tso7FyzL._SL1500_.jpg

Top Bottom