• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigedp51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    This isn't a big deal, all you have to remember is the green tip is for shooting Zombies in the head and the red tip is for everything else.

VZ_zps4391ae19.jpg

Zmax_zps46455064.jpg

If your that worried about "green tip" ammunition then just make friends with the Zombies.

WalkingDead_zpsd5ce6745.jpg

I have never used green tip m855 ammo or even seen a need for it.

Indy60

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Central IN
    Why green? Just as long as the casing is brass, buy on. My feeling is, a ban comes along on 223/5.56mm I am ready to reload. Not going to buy into the threatened band, I don't think the ATF can pull it off and don't think Obama can do it with a pen stroke. So why run the price up on green tip? And why do you really need the armor piercing load in everyday practice anyway?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I paid 36 cents a round x 1000 the week before the "ban.
    What gets me now is people trying to get 50 cents a round for "bargain ammo"
    I hope no one buys at these inflated prices.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Why green? Just as long as the casing is brass, buy on. My feeling is, a ban comes along on 223/5.56mm I am ready to reload. Not going to buy into the threatened band, I don't think the ATF can pull it off and don't think Obama can do it with a pen stroke. So why run the price up on green tip? And why do you really need the armor piercing load in everyday practice anyway?

Whoa. Not "buying in" to the threatened ban? What do you mean? You don't think the ATF was ready to do this? You realize they have banned Chinese and Russian ammunition on similar reasoning?

With respect to your declared intent to simply reload, if the ATF were somehowto ban .223 and 5.56 do you think they mysteriously wouldn't also regulate the bullets, as well as loaded ammunition?

And where are you getting this about M855 being 'armor piercing'? Sounds like you have bought in to the ban or the rationale for it...

No problem that you don't want to shoot the stuff, but if you sleep at the wheel too much, don't be surprised when the feds come for your favorite ammo, and there's no gun community left to rally to your support.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Level 4 will stop rifle fire. A level 4 vest weighs about 42 pounds if memory serves. Getting in an out of a Crown Vic/Charger/Caprice/Taurus umpteen-zillion times a days? I'm thinking I wouldn't be writing too many tickets. I'm guessing SWAT teams wear level 4 (I wonder why they wear multi cam/OCP, are they in Kabul?? But that's another thread.) but patrol officers and level 2A seems like a good protection/mobility compromise.

Bingo! I think we need to require this level of protection for all traffic patrol officers. lol

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Seriously, though. I'm suspicious about why pistols chambering this round are suddenly a problem. I'm fuzzy on the details but w-a-a-y over ten years ago a buddy had a barrel for his Thompson Contender that was .223. I seriously wouldn't want to bet my life on anything without plates stopping a rifle round at typical handgun confrontation ranges, even allowing for velocity losses due to shorter barrel. If you successfully ban something on its ability to penetrate the standard vest, it would be easy to conduct penetration testing on said vests and push to expand the envelope of banned ammo. Its like the old saw of you can never trust anyone who WANTS to be president simply because they want it. Gov't needs to understand that we will NEVER trust any gov't sufficiently to allow the SLIGHTEST infringement of 2A

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Any update on prices? I'm wondering how many folks went out and bought a pile at higher-than-market, and are now trying to cut their losses.

I note that the bullets for reloading are the same price they were before the panic...

Top Bottom