• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    Interesting ...it's usually the husband/boyfriend looking to get his wife/girlfriend her first gun. Just to go with the irony, I'll suggest a revolver! :D

Really, there are a bunch of good pistols to choose from ...and everybody has their favorite to recommend (so, I won't echo the G30 or G27 ;)).

Not sure what your budget is, but, were I looking for an all-day carry that wasn't a Glock, and I could afford it, I'd choose the Kahr PM9 ...sort of the single stack 9mm that Glock should have made.

Seriously, go to a gun show and try a few on for size. The research is always fun, but it also tends to put more guns on your "want" list as well ...which isn't always a bad thing. :D

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    This guy sounds like a good candidate for something in a CZ-75 flavor.

Seriously, don't waste the money on a shoulder holster. There are some Milt Sparks clones that don't take 6-8 months, Raven Concealment seemed pretty backed up last time I checked, but I am happy with my newest IWB from Garrett gunleather.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Sig P238 small conceal
    Springfield EMP medium size conceal
    5" 1911 for every occasion known to man.

I dunno....this 4.25" 1911 will work for all occasions:

5.jpg

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    While I am pretty much satisfied with my choice, my husband is still searching and is very picky but doesn't have as much time on his hands as I do, so I would like some advice. He'd love a Kimber but is ready to spend that kind of money, I keep hearing about M1911's but is there more information on it?

The Indy 1500 is this weekend. Take him to that, let him fondle a bunch of guns, and he will figure out what he wants pretty quickly. :)

Hadley1987

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Warrick County, IN
    In a bit of a hurry, so I skimmed through the posts and will look over again, the one I definitely keep noticing and like is the M&P models. I do appreciate it ya'll, hopefully I can get on here later today and actually read posts. I wasn't expecting so many throughout the night lol and my ADHD likes to kick in when reading:)

Okay! Now that I am in my office and can actually answer. He can be a bit picky, but the majority of the time it is more the fact that his mind is going in so many directions with our business that I have to be the one to do the research, make a list and then downsize the list to less than 6 choices based on features, reviews, his likes and dislikes, etc... THEN hand the list to him and hope he can make a choice right then and there - otherwise it would take him a year to pick a gun.:D And I am just too impatient for that.

Last edited:

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Along the same lines as the M&P line of pistols is the Springfield XD line. They come in almost every configuration you could want. I purchased an XD45 service with stainless steel slide because I carry it everyday. It sometimes stays in the glovebox when I go to and from work, so I wanted something that would not tarnish or rust over time. A friend of mine got the same pistol in compact that came with a full size mag and a compact 10 round mag. Gives you the choice to carry it in two configurations. Price is similar to the M&P line so it would be a matter of personal preference, both would serve him well as an EDC.

CtWest

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    Here
    Along the same lines as the M&P line of pistols is the Springfield XD line. They come in almost every configuration you could want. I purchased an XD45 service with stainless steel slide because I carry it everyday. It sometimes stays in the glovebox when I go to and from work, so I wanted something that would not tarnish or rust over time. A friend of mine got the same pistol in compact that came with a full size mag and a compact 10 round mag. Gives you the choice to carry it in two configurations. Price is similar to the M&P line so it would be a matter of personal preference, both would serve him well as an EDC.

But the XD and XDM are so ugly!! But they do shoot pretty nicely which is really all that matters.

vanillagorilla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    central Indy
    All of those guns listed would be a good choice. However, he still needs to put it in his hand if he is going to carry and use it. Their are a lot of things you can do for others but picking out a defensive handgun is not one of them. Everyone is different.

Hadley1987

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Warrick County, IN
    Look up Springfield EMP in .40 S&W if he like s the look then he is welcome to shoot mine. We have to live pretty close.....Chandler isn't that big!

We live like a mile and a half from the Daniel Boone Gun Range, our zip code is 47610. Since you've lived here for a while, are we outside of city limits just enough to use our land for target practice? My husband's brother said last year they made that area city limits but I don't know for sure. It would be nice if we aren't so I could practice just about every weekend or whenever without having to leave our driveway:)

Hadley1987

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Warrick County, IN
    All of those guns listed would be a good choice. However, he still needs to put it in his hand if he is going to carry and use it. Their are a lot of things you can do for others but picking out a defensive handgun is not one of them. Everyone is different.

Oh I know, I am hoping we can get a chance to go to some gun stores and see if they have those listed, and he can get his hands on them and feel around. I don't mind looking online, but it so much better to be able to touch/test something before you buy.

Twentyfootdaredevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Chandler, In
    We live like a mile and a half from the Daniel Boone Gun Range, our zip code is 47610. Since you've lived here for a while, are we outside of city limits just enough to use our land for target practice? My husband's brother said last year they made that area city limits but I don't know for sure. It would be nice if we aren't so I could practice just about every weekend or whenever without having to leave our driveway:)

Chandler proper is in fact rezoning close to where you are. As far as the west its fuquay road north of the hwy and tow path road south of the highway. The gunclub was not affected.

What road do you live on? We have a spot or two in the mines that we go and shoot if I am trying to test some reloads or something but for most shooting we go to Redbrush gunclub.

Hadley1987

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Warrick County, IN
    Chandler proper is in fact rezoning close to where you are. As far as the west its fuquay road north of the hwy and tow path road south of the highway. The gunclub was not affected.

What road do you live on? We have a spot or two in the mines that we go and shoot if I am trying to test some reloads or something but for most shooting we go to Redbrush gunclub.

We live on Fuquay Road/ County Road 175 W, just North of Gardner Road and just South of 62. If we joined the gun club (which we most likely will), it would be nothing to just drive 2 minutes there on the weekends but I actually enjoyed going out to the back of our property last spring and shooting the Saiga 12.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    We are living in a great time for the handgun buyer. There are so many different types, calibers and manufacturers, that everyone can get exactly what makes them smile when they shoot it. A couple that I'd recommend handling to see if they fit him are a CZ 97B in .45, a CZ 75 Compact in 9mm or .40 and any number of 1911s. If he's into all metal guns, he might like the CZ 97. It's about the size of a full size 1911, but with 10+1 instead of the normal 7 or 8+1 with the 1911s.

As I said, we are in the golden age of handguns, so there IS something out there that will fit him perfectly.

Hadley1987

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Warrick County, IN
    Does your husband own that old Toyota on top of the hill? I drive by your house everyday if you live on that stretch of road.

Lol, my husband would never own a foreign vehicle. No, we live close to the Water/Utilities Station, there is a large pontoon boat in the front of the property. As far as I know, there isn't a Toyota in the yard..... I think.

Hadley1987

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Warrick County, IN
    We are living in a great time for the handgun buyer. There are so many different types, calibers and manufacturers, that everyone can get exactly what makes them smile when they shoot it. A couple that I'd recommend handling to see if they fit him are a CZ 97B in .45, a CZ 75 Compact in 9mm or .40 and any number of 1911s. If he's into all metal guns, he might like the CZ 97. It's about the size of a full size 1911, but with 10+1 instead of the normal 7 or 8+1 with the 1911s.

As I said, we are in the golden age of handguns, so there IS something out there that will fit him perfectly.

Strangely he likes the Walther P380 feel, but I don't know if that is the one he is going to buy. I myself don't care for it, but if he likes it. I finally got my Ruger SR40c, I cannot wait to take it and shoot it!

Top Bottom