I Can not tell if I am more Angry or Hurt?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I'm not sure of what you're asking?? If the basic question is 'do I want say in what my child's school teaches?' Then yes, of course. If I've misunderstood feel free to ask again. As to the bussing issue, it was a court case from the early 70's. I think it hinged on mixing races for desegregation purposes. I don't really know much about the case specifics. I was generally bussed from 10th/rural to 30th/keystone. I received no benefit from being bussed.
    Well I was just saying I should have just as much input as anyone else in my child’s education regardless of any 3 letter abbreviation.

My son has since graduated this year, so yeah I have made a few teachers irate over the years by pointing out issues with their lesson plans.

I read a lot and I can tell you that Bidet played a large roll in bussing etc. it’s pretty astounding if you go back and read some of the things he has said in his lifetime of politics and self service.

Dr Long Jon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2022
    Crown Point
    Once again a local Kid’s life was cut short by stupidity, Alcohol, and a unsecured firearm. Without putting anything out there that is not in the public domain. I would like to pose a question with regards to what can be done to stop these needless deaths among our youth? I am not asking about some sort of safe storage legislation, but rather a real solution.

Help me understand why we can not teach firearms safety as early as 3rd grade? A blue gun and a competent teacher could go a long way. Why would it be so wrong to teach our youth that firearms just like any other tool can be dangerous if misused? And why can’t we teach them proper handling, and what to do if they were to come across one.

Seems there is no issue teaching multiple levels of math, English or any other subject, so why not age appropriate firearms training Through out their academic years?

Just looking for some type of viable solution.
    It happened near my home just last month. 8 year old boy. Tragic.
    https://www.nwitimes.com/news/local...cle_910be5d3-a207-522c-be3f-899c0331ec93.html

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Once again a local Kid’s life was cut short by stupidity, Alcohol, and a unsecured firearm. Without putting anything out there that is not in the public domain. I would like to pose a question with regards to what can be done to stop these needless deaths among our youth? I am not asking about some sort of safe storage legislation, but rather a real solution.

Help me understand why we can not teach firearms safety as early as 3rd grade? A blue gun and a competent teacher could go a long way. Why would it be so wrong to teach our youth that firearms just like any other tool can be dangerous if misused? And why can’t we teach them proper handling, and what to do if they were to come across one.

Seems there is no issue teaching multiple levels of math, English or any other subject, so why not age appropriate firearms training Through out their academic years?

No source was cited in the OP, so I don't know the particulars of the story that led to the post. However, the "solution" needed is parental responsibility. I taught my girls safe firearm handling from as early an age as practical. It's not the school's responsibility (and we homeschool, anyway).

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Possibly I’m mistaken but I think it (gun safety) may be more prevalent in rural communities than in an urban environment.

Only saying that due to lifestyle.
    Also, last I checked the annual statistics, accidental shootings and deaths caused by accidental shootings remain at historic low levels/rates. It is less of a problem today than it was a decade or two (or more) ago.

Reactions: Mij

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    This is not a school issue full stop , the state of Indiana says teachers are worth 40K a year, amusing to me that so many people don't realize that does not buy you good teachers.
    The "state of Indiana" has no say in the matter. Teacher compensation is determined by each school district. And of all such districts, only 5 had average K-12 salaries below $40K, as of 2017.

But I agree with you that the issue isn't a school issue.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    The house I grew up in had a couple of the wood and glass two door gun cabinets in the living room. Neither cabinet had locks on the doors, all of my fathers children had full knowledge that opening up a cabinet door was met with a painfull experience.
    And it wasn't from a gun.
    Same reason we knew not to touch the loaded shotgun in my dad's bedroom closet.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    No source was cited in the OP, so I don't know the particulars of the story that led to the post. However, the "solution" needed is parental responsibility. I taught my girls safe firearm handling from as early an age as practical. It's not the school's responsibility (and we homeschool, anyway).
    when everything has been concluded I will post a link, there is much going outside the realm of public knowledge.

I do not dispute parental responsibility. However let be realistic parents pick and chose what is important to them. I would suspect if your an anti knowing firearms safety is not on their bucket list.

After learning more this is a case of failed responsibility. Regardless it remains some parents are so afraid of the unknown they would rather play ostrich versus striping outside of their comfort zone and teaching their children life’s lessons before it becomes too late.

So yeah I will continue my efforts to effect a change, and to offer solutions versus pointing out shortcomings and leaving it at that.

We also home schooled until his High School years, when he expressed an interest in FFA and Jr ROTC.

GranolaFacility

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 22, 2022
    Westfield
    Well by no means am I an empath, but I see a lot of things I wish I did not have to. It comes with the job.

My son went to a candle light gathering for him last it was a very emotional event, with a multitude of unanswered questions. Sadly there are two parents with out their child, and wreckage left behind.

As a side note i have made some headway in my efforts, while not perfect it’s better than doing nothing. I think there is a strong chance some changes will take place here at least locally.
    Good to hear. I'm sorry for the impact on your family and community.

FNparabellum

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Aug 30, 2022
    Indianapolis

Education is the only solution to this problem. Both for children and adults. Its unfortunate the the ones involved with the school systems are so blind to this.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    when everything has been concluded I will post a link, there is much going outside the realm of public knowledge.

I do not dispute parental responsibility. However let be realistic parents pick and chose what is important to them. I would suspect if your an anti knowing firearms safety is not on their bucket list.

After learning more this is a case of failed responsibility. Regardless it remains some parents are so afraid of the unknown they would rather play ostrich versus striping outside of their comfort zone and teaching their children life’s lessons before it becomes too late.

So yeah I will continue my efforts to effect a change, and to offer solutions versus pointing out shortcomings and leaving it at that.

We also home schooled until his High School years, when he expressed an interest in FFA and Jr ROTC.
    Well, then, that's pretty unwise and irresponsible of such parents, isn't it? Their hoplophobia doesn't absolve them of their responsibility to teach critical safety skills to their children.

There are myriad topics that may cause discomfort for parents to discuss with/teach their children; we have to address them, regardless.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Possibly I’m mistaken but I think it (gun safety) may be more prevalent in rural communities than in an urban environment.

Only saying that due to lifestyle.
    Acting in a responsible manner is also more prevalent in rural communities as well. These two things may be linked

Reactions: Mij

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    The "state of Indiana" has no say in the matter. Teacher compensation is determined by each school district. And of all such districts, only 5 had average K-12 salaries below $40K, as of 2017.

But I agree with you that the issue isn't a school issue.
    I can tell you that list was not correct in 2017, and would be way off now. In 2017, the wife was already over 80k and not the top of the chart for HSE. That chart then went to 110k and I believe that is coser to 120 now. Starting was 46 when she left. Her current school is also not correct but that could be because its 5 years old. She just started his year.

Top Bottom