I Can not tell if I am more Angry or Hurt?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Actually, having been a teacher, an annual pay raise is not guaranteed and, when I taught in Indianapolis Public Schools back in the late '90's, the Superintendent there implemented a program whereby teachers were going to be held accountable for student attendance (teachers would be required to know where an absent student was by the end of first period AND make every effort to get that student to school for that school day...and there was absolutely no way I was going to go out and pick up absent students and have them in my personal vehicle, ever) and any pay raise was going to be reflective of, or based on, student performance, which meant that a student could refuse to do his/her homework and it would have a direct effect on my pay.
    And health-care benefits are voted on by the board for each school system...and the amount of money the system is willing to spend on health insurance is reflected in the budget with regards to other school programs that the budget has to cover.
    Also, I didn't have a choice on how much the state 'required' from my employee salary to be put in the state required retirement program.
    Been married to a teacher for 20 years. There was one year that she did not receive her contracted raise. IPS is the gold standard for what NOT to do for schools and has been for 30+ years. Cross the county line in any direction and the pay and benefits get infinitely better.

The wife took a pay cut to change schools. A pretty significant one at that. But she once again has support, appreciation from the admin staff and is happy about being able to help special needs kids like she wants to. She’s been in sped for her entire teaching career and if there was ever an example of why legislators should not be involved in schools sped is it. They’ve ****ed the larger schools all to hell.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Hopefully to finish up with blaming lack of safe gun handling education on teachers and schools, let me tell you a little story that started with me and those my age...

My liberal folks were really backward about talking with their children on awkward life subjects. The folks were instrumental in bringing sex education to our small town school, (so they didn't have to have the conversation.) I'm sure it seemed like a smart idea to the parents to have the school's take over this part of their job of parenting? Got' 'em right out of that touchy parenting responsibility, didn't it?

Fast forward fifty years. Are we happy about what sex education in our schools has turned into? :xmad:

Let's make sure parents with guns know exactly what they are doing. Exactly how to educate their own children and other parents as needed.

Let's NOT count on schools to educate anything beyond reading/writing/arithmetic and to the letter, what the constitution reads.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Been married to a teacher for 20 years. There was one year that she did not receive her contracted raise. IPS is the gold standard for what NOT to do for schools and has been for 30+ years. Cross the county line in any direction and the pay and benefits get infinitely better.

The wife took a pay cut to change schools. A pretty significant one at that. But she once again has support, appreciation from the admin staff and is happy about being able to help special needs kids like she wants to. She’s been in sped for her entire teaching career and if there was ever an example of why legislators should not be involved in schools sped is it. They’ve ****ed the larger schools all to hell.
    I concur completely in that politician's and public education do NOT mix...one cannot legislate an educational outcome...one must stand back and allow the trained and licensed educator do their job with the kids!!! And then you have administrators who try to be political about things...even worse!
    I was the mainstream teacher for Health when I was in GA and the SP-ED teachers I worked with down there were the hardest-working teachers in the building...and a great group of people to be around who genuinely cared about their students and the outcomes. Kudos to your wife for the work she does as those kids so often need an advocate in their corner, working directly with and for them, and many times, it's only the SP-ED teacher who's doing that for them in life! Again, many kudos to you wife sir!

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Everyone here is focused in the pay but they forget the working conditions many of these teachers are in. Last year was the year the wife said enough of the large suburban schools. 23k students in 15 buildings. Admin that mandated white apology training (my name not what they called it) where an AA “instructor” laid out why AWAB and then had all the white teachers go around the room and apologize for something that they were sorry about because they were white.

Add all that with parents that no longer interact with their children and expect the schools to teach them morals, life skills and still pass standardized tests. It’s no wonder so many leave the industry. It isn’t pay, it’s the fact they’re beat down daily.

This year she’s working in a rural school district that has 1700 total students. The superintendent has stopped by to see her kids a half dozen times in the last 4 weeks. She has more support and more help than she’s had in 10+years. Her high salary for the last 10 years allowed us to pay off our mortgage, have no debt and still live the good life. Sure losing that income restricts sone of our choices. But her happiness is well worth it. She still makes more than me lol

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Everyone here is focused in the pay but they forget the working conditions many of these teachers are in. Last year was the year the wife said enough of the large suburban schools. 23k students in 15 buildings. Admin that mandated white apology training (my name not what they called it) where an AA “instructor” laid out why AWAB and then had all the white teachers go around the room and apologize for something that they were sorry about because they were white.

Add all that with parents that no longer interact with their children and expect the schools to teach them morals, life skills and still pass standardized tests. It’s no wonder so many leave the industry. It isn’t pay, it’s the fact they’re beat down daily.

This year she’s working in a rural school district that has 1700 total students. The superintendent has stopped by to see her kids a half dozen times in the last 4 weeks. She has more support and more help than she’s had in 10+years. Her high salary for the last 10 years allowed us to pay off our mortgage, have no debt and still live the good life. Sure losing that income restricts sone of our choices. But her happiness is well worth it. She still makes more than me lol
    We sure agree on a lot of this. When you see your wife pouring herself into those kids, you know it’s not about any amount of pay.

Govt in schools may be a problem, but the lack of parenting at home is much more distressing. Just like in the example bw gave above.

Good on your wife for her service to her kids, and good on both of you for making the move toward her happiness.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Most of these talking points about teachers here are obsolete. Kids and teachers don't get the vacations I had.

I also think some of them are disgustingly underpaid and others are probably way overpaid.

Not every teacher is trying to indoctrinate kids, some are still passionate about letters, numbers, and shapes!

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Feds should have no say in local schools. None. Nada. Zilch. A neighborhood school should be just that. I recall sitting on the steps of what should have been my neighborhood school. I didn't get to go to that school. I got bussed. To another school. In a neighborhood that wasn't mine. Get government OUT of education.
    So just for clarification your child goes to a school district by virtue your vocation, you get 0 say in curriculum and such things as common core, crt?

By the way you can most likely thank Bidet for bussing back in the day.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Most of these talking points about teachers here are obsolete. Kids and teachers don't get the vacations I had.

I also think some of them are disgustingly underpaid and others are probably way overpaid.

Not every teacher is trying to indoctrinate kids, some are still passionate about letters, numbers, and shapes!
    Well my wife is passionate about numbers, she is trying to convince others at her school you can not dumb down Math , you need a solid foundation to build on. There is no watering down of equations, slopes,etc.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    It makes to much sense to have a few classes with firearm safety training, and it would go against their agenda because the majority of children would learn and it would save lives.

"If it makes sense don't do it." That's the government's motto.
    What was that phrase…. I am from the Government and I am here to help.

GranolaFacility

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 22, 2022
    Westfield
    Once again a local Kid’s life was cut short by stupidity, Alcohol, and a unsecured firearm. Without putting anything out there that is not in the public domain. I would like to pose a question with regards to what can be done to stop these needless deaths among our youth? I am not asking about some sort of safe storage legislation, but rather a real solution.

Help me understand why we can not teach firearms safety as early as 3rd grade? A blue gun and a competent teacher could go a long way. Why would it be so wrong to teach our youth that firearms just like any other tool can be dangerous if misused? And why can’t we teach them proper handling, and what to do if they were to come across one.

Seems there is no issue teaching multiple levels of math, English or any other subject, so why not age appropriate firearms training Through out their academic years?

Just looking for some type of viable solution.
    Perhaps you are the better person for caring about people you don't know (or maybe you do in some specific cases). I've become rather stoic about many of these topics. There are certain things in life where we must make peace with our own limitations. I can't make other people teach their kids about guns. All I can do is teach my own kids about guns. As others have pointed out, there are very real dangers in turning education over to the state (and also, realistically, there is about a snowball's chance of surviving hell that our public schools are going to take up something as controversial as gun safety education). Not only has sex education become insane, but it hasn't done a lick of good. Are there fewer children being born to single mothers today than there were 20 years ago? Again, perhaps you are the better person for caring about these stories. I've become somewhat numb.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Feds should have no say in local schools. None. Nada. Zilch. A neighborhood school should be just that. I recall sitting on the steps of what should have been my neighborhood school. I didn't get to go to that school. I got bussed. To another school. In a neighborhood that wasn't mine. Get government OUT of education.
    Exactly. Name 3 things DoE has done to improve the education of our kids.

You cant. The state of education has tanked since DoE was formed.
    EDIT: YOUR kids. I refuse to participate in those shenanigans so we homeschool.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Perhaps you are the better person for caring about people you don't know (or maybe you do in some specific cases). I've become rather stoic about many of these topics. There are certain things in life where we must make peace with our own limitations. I can't make other people teach their kids about guns. All I can do is teach my own kids about guns. As others have pointed out, there are very real dangers in turning education over to the state (and also, realistically, there is about a snowball's chance of surviving hell that our public schools are going to take up something as controversial as gun safety education). Not only has sex education become insane, but it hasn't done a lick of good. Are there fewer children being born to single mothers today than there were 20 years ago? Again, perhaps you are the better person for caring about these stories. I've become somewhat numb.
    Yeah , I got to agree. I am pretty hard hearted about these things and don’t react to the “but what about the children” screech because it’s been overplayed for too long. Yes, things happened. People died. Nothing in my power to change any of that. Next.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Name 3 things DoE has done to improve the education of our kids.

You cant. The state of education has tanked since DoE was formed.
    That is why the Dept. of Ed. needs to be defunded and eliminated.

Where does the Constitution authorize the power of public education, and especially Federal Government control of public Education? I know it says this:
    "Amendment X.
    The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

I also know that the context of the above is wrapped in this explanation: "...in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added...".

The Dept. of Ed. shouldn't exist, unless it is there to ensure that all future citizens are educated about the Constitution, its responsibilities and its authorities. One of those responsibilities is the militia. So, yeah, if there is to be a Dept. of Ed. at the Federal level its primary goal should be to ensure every future American can responsibly and effectively bear arms.

Note: The above rationale can be applied to many other elements of the Administrative state. EPA, DOT, DOAg, and on and on and on...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And ironically, as I recall it was introduced to guarantee that all children are being educated properly and to bring all schools up to meet certain standards. Those standards were supposed to make sure everyone got a good education.

That obviously didnt work.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Well by no means am I an empath, but I see a lot of things I wish I did not have to. It comes with the job.

My son went to a candle light gathering for him last it was a very emotional event, with a multitude of unanswered questions. Sadly there are two parents with out their child, and wreckage left behind.

As a side note i have made some headway in my efforts, while not perfect it’s better than doing nothing. I think there is a strong chance some changes will take place here at least locally.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    So just for clarification your child goes to a school district by virtue your vocation, you get 0 say in curriculum and such things as common core, crt?

By the way you can most likely thank Bidet for bussing back in the day.
    I'm not sure of what you're asking?? If the basic question is 'do I want say in what my child's school teaches?' Then yes, of course. If I've misunderstood feel free to ask again. As to the bussing issue, it was a court case from the early 70's. I think it hinged on mixing races for desegregation purposes. I don't really know much about the case specifics. I was generally bussed from 10th/rural to 30th/keystone. I received no benefit from being bussed.

Top Bottom