Not open for further replies.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    It takes a bit to get to know a good number of members, but it is worth it. Many are completely different in person from their online persona - some are exactly like their online personality (and just as annoying). Have met many that bring good discussion and offer sound advice or feedback. Some that have since been banned but I still consider friends and stay in touch with. In the Spring there will be several meet and eats and the opportunity to put a name with a face and get to chat with interesting people. There are some great minds in a variety of the forums. Spring will bring great discussions on gardening or anything outdoors; worth the reads if you have the time. Yes, there are clicks but you will find that there are people who post often and have become very familiar with other frequent filers. There are still those of us that don't post often but read and follow some threads and/or discussions.

I would ask which group I'm in, but I guess either answer would scare me.

Start your own clique.

There's this

I am my own clique. I'm very selective.

Or this.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I agree, but that's life. Good luck in your search for a forum that isn't clique-ish. It's what people do. From kindergarten all the way through to the nursing homes.

I've only been a member on one other forum, and while it is a great place for info and knowledge, and I do miss it, I didn't mesh well there. Too big brother like. Tow the line and be tolerant of stuff I will never tolerate in my real life. I hate arrogance and a bully. Even if it comes from someone who can be nice (enough). Which is fine it's not mine to say, so I stay away. The people here are more suited to my personality anyway. Members here, while argumentative, are usually respectful of each other after words. The mods are also respectful and from my experience are helpful and polite without being degrading. Stick it out a bit more.

Yes I realize the hypocrisy.

:yesway:

I wouldn't join any clique that would have me as a member.

Mmmm. Sounds like a variant of a quote.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    A lot of good post so far encouraging the OP to stick around. I am proud of the INGO members for standing tall and not throwing out the "Well Bye" meme.

INGO was my first experience with a forum. I made a ton of mistakes in the beginning, thankfully I'm down to half a ton of mistakes on a regular basis.

I did have issues at first with a member here and there and their homies would jump in and pile on. It's just a part of life and it takes a better man to take the high road (a practice I have yet to master).

The good by far out weighs the bad so I hope Ballistix sticx around.

Don't worry, you're still making them.
    :)

Ballistix

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2016
    Next Door
    Wow... there has to be a way to turn off email notifications. My inbox feels violated.
    I did get a chuckle from some of the responses though.

I never have visited here much since firearms are not my primary interest. I was directed here by a local attorney that couldn't answer my questions.
    I only have a firearm for protection of my family and don't get into the whole going to the range thing. I know some will say that practice equals proficiency, but
    ammunition, to me, is expensive for the result of holes in paper, that only takes minutes per box. I much prefer to spend that money elsewhere.
    That was the reason for my post about meet and eat, as opposed to meet and shoot, and I agree, I should practice more often.
    With being new to firearms, I don't have anything to contribute on the subject. I visited to see if I could find answers to some of my questions, and between here and other websites, my
    questions have been answered to this point.
    One fault of the forum is, the 50 post rule. Not for the classifieds (I don't care about those), but from the PM standpoint. I can understand members not wanting to receive PM's from new members,
    but when members PM a new member, they should at least have the ability to respond. Without having to call them, that is ridiculous. I don't hear well on a phone anyway. After only 10 posts or so, I
    received PM's and can't respond to them without doing it in the forum. Only one left a number, but none of the rest left any way to contact them.

Oh yeah... I love bacon! But, I won't drive to Indy for it.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Wow... there has to be a way to turn off email notifications. My inbox feels violated.

I never have visited here much since firearms are not my primary interest. I was directed here by a local attorney that couldn't answer my questions.
    I only have a firearm for protection of my family and don't get into the whole going to the range thing. I know some will say that practice equals proficiency, but
    ammunition, to me, is expensive for the result of holes in paper, that only takes minutes per box. I much prefer to spend that money elsewhere.
    That was the reason for my post about meet and eat, as opposed to meet and shoot, and I agree, I should practice more often.
    With being new to firearms, I don't have anything to contribute on the subject. I visited to see if I could find answers to some of my questions, and between here and other websites, my
    One fault of the forum is, the 50 post rule. Not for the classifieds (I don't care about those), but from the PM standpoint. I can understand members not wanting to receive PM's from new members,
    but when members PM a new member, they should at least have the ability to respond. Without having to call them, that is ridiculous. I don't hear well on a phone anyway. After only 10 posts or so, I
    received PM's and can't respond to them without doing it in the forum. Only one left a number, but none of the rest left any way to contact them.

Despite all that, glad you are still here. We seem to thrive on different opinions...

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Take it from me Ballistix, I`ve had a rough start here. Like you, I`m going to back up quite a bit, but I think I might stay. I hope you do as well. I think there really are good people here. PM me if you want, and let me know if you decide to stay. Best wishes whatever you choose.

psst. he can't PM you until he gets 50 posts

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Thanks for adding the additional information!

I understand better now and it makes sense. You don't share the interest in firearms and shooting that most of us have (which is a bonding point) and you may not fall into a comfortable place of the socio-political spectrum represented by INGO members.

I will say that if you do have a firearm for defense, it's really important to know how to use it safely and effectively, when to use it, and when not to use it. Some training could help you expedite that body of knowledge and wouldn't take a lot of time or ammunition expenditure. Once you develop a base level of proficiency, you can maintain quite a bit with some drills you can do occasionally with one box of 50 rounds. You can also do a lot with dry practice, but that requires knowing how and what to practice.

Good luck!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

First, about the PM. People were using PMs to get around the 50 posts rule by directly messaging about WTS and WTB.
    You do have the Visitor Message ability, I think. Been awhile since I've been <50 posts.
    Go to a person's page.
    Heading titled Visitor Message.
    Just realize, Visitor Messages are NOT private.

Next, about email notification.
    1st, you can set your preferences for when you respond to a thread if it subscribes automatically, and if it does, how/if you are notified.
    I don't have mine email me. I just look on USER CP and it shows updated threads that I'm subscribed to.

Since you are already subscribed, I can't find an easier way, but here's what I would do.
    Look for "Thread Tools"
    Click on "unsubscribe".
    Should notify you are unsubscribed, and then take you back to the first page.
    Then, go back to "Thread Tools".
    Click on "subscribe".
    Should take you to a page with options.
    Make sure you do not subscribe with email notifications.

And I also hope you stick around. Good stuff and good people here.
    Sometimes, not so much.
    But, such is life.
    Remember, this does not affect your home life, your home, your job, etc.
    So keep it in perspective when you meet someone here that makes your blood boil. It happens. Move on. :)

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Take it from me Ballistix, I`ve had a rough start here. Like you, I`m going to back up quite a bit, but I think I might stay. I hope you do as well. I think there really are good people here. PM me if you want, and let me know if you decide to stay. Best wishes whatever you choose.

If you're talking about the "free speech" thread, you kinda walked up into a group, and made some pretty strong accusations at members.
    Then, you failed to back up your accusations with any type of documentation.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break-room/427535-so-much-freedom-speech-expression-2.html

gregr: Seeing perspectives such as this explains everything about why this Republic is in the downward spiral it is in. Weak-willed, weak-minded souls...
    Weak-willed, weak minded souls.

So yes, saying stuff like that tends to rile up members.

And even then, to me it just seemed that people quoted laws and/or Constitution.
    Maybe I missed the personal attacks directed AT you. I'd have to reread the thread.

That being said, I'm glad you hung around.
    I enjoy debate.
    Name calling not so much.
    Honest debate, love it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

The member left the number for you to call so you could come and meet some Ingo folks.
    That particular group (actually does not exist) would let you shoot their firearms to your hearts content. No ammo required as they are all just serious gun people.
    You see the thing is, you missed a golden opportunity. Just because you thought it was "Stupid"................:dunno:
    I am going to be there. Lots of swell guns to shoot.
    You see, the folks here are for real. Nothing "Stupid" about it. Just real.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom