I thought this was extremely interesting...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Federal Ammunition has introduced a 29 grain .22 LR round designed for personal protection. Has this already been covered here? I think this is extremely interesting, and it`s really, really piqued my interest in a .22 pistol for carry perhaps...

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Please keep in mind, the use of the term "Personal Defense" is a response to the market, not a suggestion of feasibility for a given use.

The ammo companies know people are going to try to use .22s and .380s for personal defense no matter what. So they're going to introduce a product for it, to make sure you're walking around with their ammo in your linty, inaccessible pocket.

That doesn't mean it's actually good for the purpose. It's just giving the people what they want.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Please keep in mind, the use of the term "Personal Defense" is a response to the market, not a suggestion of feasibility for a given use.

The ammo companies know people are going to try to use .22s and .380s for personal defense no matter what. So they're going to introduce a product for it, to make sure you're walking around with their ammo in your linty, inaccessible pocket.

That doesn't mean it's actually good for the purpose. It's just giving the people what they want.
    Ok...I guess, but I don`t buy that. The testing has been done, and as many, even here have said, it`s more about shot placement than caliber. I believe the .22 has always been a viable round for self-defense, and I also believe this load makes that even more so. Many people have been killed with a .22. Israel's Mossad uses the .22 LR to commit many of their assassinations for example. I have no idea what bullet they shoot, but they tend to use the Beretta Model 70. I think the .22 LR is an entirely viable self-defense round.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Ok...I guess, but I don`t buy that. The testing has been done, and as many, even here have said, it`s more about shot placement than caliber. I believe the .22 has always been a viable round for self-defense, and I also believe this load makes that even more so. Many people have been killed with a .22. Israel's Mossad uses the .22 LR to commit many of their assassinations for example. I have no idea what bullet they shoot, but they tend to use the Beretta Model 70. I say the .22 LR is an entirely viable self-defense round.
    And I say people have been killed with airguns, so airguns are viable for defense. I sure don't want to be shot with one. Prove me wrong.

Last edited:

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    And I say people have been killed with airguns, so airguns are viable for defense. I sure don't want to be shot with one. Prove me wrong.
    You`re certainly entitled to your opinion, and you`re also certainly not obligated to use the .22 LR as a carry round/gun. Mossad likes them, and that`s plenty good enough for me.

Lpherr

Occupied
    Ok...I guess, but I don`t buy that. The testing has been done, and as many, even here have said, it`s more about shot placement than caliber. I believe the .22 has always been a viable round for self-defense, and I also believe this load makes that even more so. Many people have been killed with a .22. Israel's Mossad uses the .22 LR to commit many of their assassinations for example. I have no idea what bullet they shoot, but they tend to use the Beretta Model 70. I think the .22 LR is an entirely viable self-defense round.
    I've seen many video's of people carrying 9mm and .45ACP as defense ammo, and having to shoot an aggressor 3,4, and 5 times to stop the threat. How many .22 rounds do you suspect it will take to stop that same threat?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    There's a big difference between an assassination on an unaware or sleeping victim, and using a pistol in self defense.

It's not just the ballistics of .22 lr that make it a less than ideal choice for self defense, it's also the inherent unreliability of the rimfire cartridge. A gun in .22 is better than no gun at all, but I personally wouldn't recommend it for anyone with the physical ability to handle the recoil of something larger.

An elderly person with weak hands and low dexterity? Sure. But a younger stronger more capable person? No.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    There's a big difference between an assassination on an unaware or sleeping victim, and using a pistol in self defense.

It's not just the ballistics of .22 lr that make it a less than ideal choice for self defense, it's also the inherent unreliability of the rimfire cartridge. A gun in .22 is better than no gun at all, but I personally wouldn't recommend it for anyone with the physical ability to handle the recoil of something larger.

An elderly person with weak hands and low dexterity? Sure. But a younger stronger more capable person? No.

From the piece:

"During the incident that took place in February of 1969, Israeli Sky Marshal Mordechai Rachamim engaged several heavily armed Arab terrorists as they attacked an EL Al airliner on a snow covered runway in Zurich. Despite the odds against him, the young Israeli sky marshal expertly used his issued Beretta Model 70 pistol to kill one of the Palestinian terrorists, moments before the Zurich Police arrived and took the remaining terrorists into custody. The three surviving male Palestinian terrorists received 12-year jail sentences for attacking a commercial airliner with machine guns and explosives that resulted in the killing and wounding of several passengers and crew. Sky Marshal Mordechai Rachamim became an instant hero at home in Israel."

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010

From the piece:

"During the incident that took place in February of 1969, Israeli Sky Marshal Mordechai Rachamim engaged several heavily armed Arab terrorists as they attacked an EL Al airliner on a snow covered runway in Zurich. Despite the odds against him, the young Israeli sky marshal expertly used his issued Beretta Model 70 pistol to kill one of the Palestinian terrorists, moments before the Zurich Police arrived and took the remaining terrorists into custody. The three surviving male Palestinian terrorists received 12-year jail sentences for attacking a commercial airliner with machine guns and explosives that resulted in the killing and wounding of several passengers and crew. Sky Marshal Mordechai Rachamim became an instant hero at home in Israel."
    It's settled then....my daily EDC setup will consist of .22LR, OC canister, and the Zurich Police. :koolaid:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    You bring up good points.. And most of real life outcomes seem to have had way more variables than anyone ever thought. I am sure a .22 in the brain stem from behind will do a guy in. A lesser wound in a non critical area may not, at least not quickly.

I can claim no first had experience but something I have read is that a light firearm may eventually kill someone, but in the mean time he is able to continue his assault on you. It makes sense to me that the goal is to drop the bad guys blood pressure fast enough that he faints, goes into shock, or at least his vision blurs so that his ability to fight goes away.

That said, if I do not have access to a .30 caliber rifle, or a large caliber handgun, I will certainly use an available .22 rimfire to the best of my ability.

A Marine gunny taught us that "defense is the 4th letter of the alphabet, so a defensive pistol needs to start with a four". Not sure if it is true, but it is catchy.

Last edited:

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Winchester came out with one also. The Federal was designed to penetrate. The Winchester was designed to fragment. I bought some of each, but haven’t fired any yet. Figure I’ll alternate when I load the 22’s.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    What are you talking about, the Mossad only takes one shot? :lmfao:

Which ties this thread into the 223 for deer thread. Can it be done? Absolutely. Can the average hunter who isnt a skilled marksman drop the deer reliably? No. That is why the standard for both of these discussions is higher; to allow greater room for error.

Its not all about the bullet. As already said its proficiency, shot placement, etc.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

From the piece:

I'm sure you could find a story of a guy that killed an attacker with a pencil too, but that doesn't mean it's the best tool for self-defense.

The Masai bushmen hunt and kill lions with spears. That doesn't mean my lilly white butt needs to be out there doing it.

Last edited:

Lpherr

Occupied
    I'm sure you could find a story of a guy that killed an attacker with a pencil too, but that doesn't mean it's the best tool for self-defense.

The Masai bushman hunt and kill lions with spears. That doesn't mean my lilly white butt needs to be out there doing it.
    John Wick!

Top Bottom