• ...and so much more!
  • BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    So this October I'll turn 40, God willing. I have no idea what I expected to be doing at age 40, or what I wanted to have accomplished by 40. I don't want to have a midlife crisis as I think those are pathetic. It's not like I'm going to get divorced and get a new set of boobs, though I WOULD look good filling out my shirts a bit more.

i've noticed myself trying to slow down a bit more and live in the moment, rather than thinking about two moments from now. I've thought ahead to age 65 when many things I enjoy now probably won't be possible, and will I be content with what I CAN do? Will my relationship be OK with the changes that come from aging, kids moving out (fingers crossed) and retirement.

In the last two days I've probably deleted 20 posts here and on FB before finishing them. Usually just some snarky comment or joke that I realize no one cares about. I don't know why I'm more sensitive to that now, but it plays into my slowing down I think.

I decided I was going to try to average 10 pull ups a day for the entire year. I'm at 58 now but only have two days of effort in. I also decided I wanted to run a sub 8-min mile the year I turn 40. Been a long time since I could do that. Prior to this month I don't think I've done more than 150 pull ups my entire life.

As far as "crisis" style things, I'm just not interested. I'm content in my mini-van for now. Happy married. Great kids. Good job, good income. Good dog, good house. I don't feel anxiety for the things I may not get to experience, I feel it for my ability to be content with what I will be able to experience.

I know we have quite a few people here getting the senior discounted coffee at McDonald's... Do you old salts have any advice for us middle-Agers about to hit the big 4-0?

i'm looking at you here gunslinger :):

You are right Doc, I just deleted a paragraph taking your advice above.

Congrats for hitting 40, sounds like your pretty well set-up.

Enjoy what God has given you for it may go away some day.

Regards,
    -B&G.

:ingo:

RugerRog

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Indy
    I didnt think turning 40 was so bad. I'd like to be 40 again! I had my 'mid life' crisis when I turned 50 a couple years ago, but a muscle car have fun in it. Looking to retire in 9 years!

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    So this October I'll turn 40, God willing. I have no idea what I expected to be doing at age 40, or what I wanted to have accomplished by 40. I don't want to have a midlife crisis as I think those are pathetic. It's not like I'm going to get divorced and get a new set of boobs, though I WOULD look good filling out my shirts a bit more.

i've noticed myself trying to slow down a bit more and live in the moment, rather than thinking about two moments from now. I've thought ahead to age 65 when many things I enjoy now probably won't be possible, and will I be content with what I CAN do? Will my relationship be OK with the changes that come from aging, kids moving out (fingers crossed) and retirement.

In the last two days I've probably deleted 20 posts here and on FB before finishing them. Usually just some snarky comment or joke that I realize no one cares about. I don't know why I'm more sensitive to that now, but it plays into my slowing down I think.

I decided I was going to try to average 10 pull ups a day for the entire year. I'm at 58 now but only have two days of effort in. I also decided I wanted to run a sub 8-min mile the year I turn 40. Been a long time since I could do that. Prior to this month I don't think I've done more than 150 pull ups my entire life.

As far as "crisis" style things, I'm just not interested. I'm content in my mini-van for now. Happy married. Great kids. Good job, good income. Good dog, good house. I don't feel anxiety for the things I may not get to experience, I feel it for my ability to be content with what I will be able to experience.

I know we have quite a few people here getting the senior discounted coffee at McDonald's... Do you old salts have any advice for us middle-Agers about to hit the big 4-0?

i'm looking at you here gunslinger :):

My recommendation for you at this stage in your life Doc is booze and hookers :cool:. You do know I'm joking right?

Actually doc you're already an 'old soul' and have wisdom a lot men older then you will never attain. Experience is real life, and just by the nature of what you've already been through so far leads you to questions 'have I been through most 'real life' experiences that are possible? Should I be content with what I've experienced so far? The honest answer is no and I believe you know that because you're asking yourself that question.

I'm still not content, I never will be. Neither will you. Your young doc, and yes you've attained most all of the known first time experiences, but it's those that you have no reference for that will be the most fulfilling. Don't be anxious about being content. You'll never reach the end of the possibilities that lay before you.

Top Bottom