• singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    "OMG...my 1911 has a scratch on it."

That's what I told myself the first time I put one in a duffle bag and it rubbed up against a tool kit.

Oddly enough, it still runs like a clock.

Anymore, I have about as much concern regarding scratches on my 1911 as I do on my hammer...but then again, I view both as tools. I'm more concerned about how they work vs how they look....and I do love how a certain old 1911 works!

My first time my Sgt. had few words :):

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am sure a couple of mine have a scratch there. When I am pulling the sights into alignment, making a proper sight picture, mpnitoring my breathing and making a clean trigger pull, I never think about it. I always try not to scratch any firearm, but things that get used, end up with wear, some visable, some not. I have modified the back of the slide release lever to make it easier to snap in. Unless I am cleaning, I do not know which ones I did and which ones I do not.

I think the factory should just machine a slightly arc'ed groove there just so everyone would have it and no one would ever worry about causing it. Of course if they did, the aftermarket would probably develop multi colored insert panels for that groove to personalize your handgun. I'll bet it would sell

Last edited:

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Done in the field.

I am sure a couple of mine have a scratch there. When I am pulling the sights into alignment, making a proper sight picture, mpnitoring my breathing and making a clean trigger pull, I never think about it. I always try not to scratch any firearm, but things that get used, end up with wear, some visable, some not. I have modified the back of the slide release lever to make it easier to snap in. Unless I am cleaning, I do not know which ones I did and which ones I do not.

I think the factory should just machine a slightly arc'ed groove there just so everyone would have it and no one would ever worry about causing it. Of course if they did, the aftermarket would probably develop multi colored insert panels for that groove to personalize your handgun. I'll bet it would sell

The only 1911 I ever carried was issued to me by Uncle Sugar. It (actually there were several) had been handled by so many operators and expert ,"armorers", that it had that groove about 1/16th deep and shiny against the blue. :rolleyes: :)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Meh, just bang it up enough that the idiot mark blends in...

P1000884_zpsfef7abd3.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I wouldn't even consider that mark an "idiot scratch". That mark is an inevitable, even necessary mark. It is a wear mark of everyday use, an engineered in circumstance. That mark is an indicator that your gun is clean and lubricated. If your gun don't have it you're a newboot with a new pistol, or a poser sporting a safe-queen that he don't even shoot.

If that scratch is to be avoided, what about the scuffing and loss of bluing from the slide flopping around? The guide rod, frame rails, under the slide, top of the hammer? The little circle that shows where the barrel bushing turns? The sides of the trigger where it pivots against the frame? Both sides of that grip safety?

Holy crap! I have holster marks! And even the dreaded sweat pitting that suddenly appeared from just one 90 degree day! AAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHH!!!

And now my revolver is getting a ring around the cylinder! Maybe if I put some duct tape right here...............

Last edited:

Vendetta

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Lafayette
    I wouldn't even consider that mark an "idiot scratch". That mark is an inevitable, even necessary mark. It is a wear mark of everyday use, an engineered in circumstance. That mark is an indicator that your gun is clean and lubricated. If your gun don't have it you're a newboot with a new pistol, or a poser sporting a safe-queen that he don't even shoot.

Couldnt disagree with this more. Taking your time before and during disassembly and reassembly just means you respect your tools. I dont have the scratch on any of mine because I dont force it when its not ready to drop in. I have plenty of bluing wear on my edc but no scratch. Kydex scratches but no idiot scratch. Its not an inevitability if you just take your time. Otherwise every single GI 1911 out there would sport the scratch and they do not.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I agree with that and I have a few that are tight, but they dont require the pressure of 1000 suns imploding to push in. If it feels wrong it probably is wrong and will end badly. Thats all Im saying.

Leave the recoil spring retainer plug out until you get the slide lock in place. It is so much easier. I have seen many people try and hold the slide back against that spring to get it in place.

Mike Grasso

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 5, 2014
    Westfield
    Jim Hoag taught me a little trick years ago and I do it to all the slide stops on 1911s I build.
    A slight filed notch on the detent side and the not only does it line up perfectly, it reduces the effort needed to snap in place.
    Most high end smiths do it.

idiotscratch1911_zpsf20aacf2.jpg

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    THAT is the correct solution. No tools required - works on every 1911. Every slide stop made should have this mod done at the factory. All of mine now have it. Takes 5 minutes on the bench. I worked on 1911s for years and never once caused an idiot scratch (because if I did then I just bought a customer's gun in most cases) But it just makes reinstalling the stop SO MUCH easier. It can only go in one way - the right way. The only reason idiot scratches happen is because so many guys subscribe to the belief that if it won't go in - force it. "If I push real hard it'll go in there" Wrong. Pushing a part with a compound radius ground on it into a pin with a radiused tip guarantees that it can pretty much go any direction possible and scratch the frame or slide. If it won't go in then stop and figure out why not. Never force anything. Every single part in a firearm should slide right in without resistance. A simple alignment groove solves all those problems. Stuff like this would make John Browning smile.

Last edited:

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Man, on THAT I would just remove all of the finish and run it" in the white". That looks like some kid with a magic marker took some bad acid. In France or New York they would could just call it "ART".

Top Bottom