• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Had to happen ... talking on the phone while cleaning my 1911, reassembling the gun... :( Anyways found this on my websearch ... looks like something you can make out of a playing card.

Idiot Scratch Prevention Tool Official Website
    I did the same thing with a brand new Kimber SS Ultra II. It only takes a split second of distraction. I had to sell that gun at a considerable loss because It made me sick to look at it every time I took it out. I don't mind wear marks or other scratches so much but I hate to be reminded that I just might be an idiot. Although I suppose that could be considered a good thing from time to time.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Grew up with the guitar pick method.

Now, I just beat on my 1911s with 24 oz. framing hammers so the mark is not so obvious.

I do the same thing on my body. Left foot hurts? Beat on your hand with the hammer. Thank you, Mr. Obvious.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    that is what a 1911 is supposed to look like.
    It upsets me that you wiped out the evidence of your hard won skills with a refinish.
    Mine doesn't look quite that good...yet
    The all black one was the way I received the gun. The beat up version is the way the gun looks now.

Man, on THAT I would just remove all of the finish and run it" in the white". That looks like some kid with a magic marker took some bad acid. In France or New York they would could just call it "ART".

I clarified that the slide was stainless under the cerecoat before I bought the gun. I can always tidy it up for the safe, but I'm happy with the "well broken in" look for my EDC. No hesitation dropping it in the gravel, if need be. ;)
    No idiot mark though. Funny that my other 1911's are free of that mark also? :dunno:

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Oh, stainless? Then there's no rules. Party on. The reason you don't make idiot marks is because you are "feeling" the alignment through your fingers BEFORE you push it in. You, my friend, have the touch. Lockpicking would be a good hobby for you. Ever try it?

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I just checked my RIA 9mm Tactical. That portion of my slide stop is completly round. Mine slides in very easy. But maybe that is a side benefit to a 9mm 1911.

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    I read all about the "idiot scratch" before I got a 1911. Then I got one and now I can't figure out why it's such a big deal. It doesn't take much attention to avoid it. If it doesn't drop in, just don't force it. Keep your fingers on the end to control it.

Jeepsandguns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2013
    Carmel
    I make them out of aluminum.. There IS a way to avoid the problem without the tool. PM me and stop by Parabellum when I'm there and I'll show you.

NRA Life Member-- GSSF member
    Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic

NRA Basic pistol instructor Certified Glock armorer
    That's a pretty good idea

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    That mark shows the gun has been stripped for cleaning..........At least once.

Not really. It does show that somebody who bought it and took it home wanted to dink around with it and maybe didn't know how to properly reassemble it.
    There are lots of people who want to take new (to them) things apart right away... just because. (I'm one of them).

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Don't be an idiot and just buy a Glock to avoid the marking!

I kid, I kid... Been there and done that, have the mark to prove it on my Kimber Eclipse Target II.

Vendetta

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Lafayette
    i was showed over 30 years ago to use a small straight blade screw driver.....never have made a mark on one......

I just did this after changing the trigger on my TRP. depressed the plunger spring with a small screwdriver and the slide stop dropped right in. There are lots of ways around the scratch.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I read all about the "idiot scratch" before I got a 1911. Then I got one and now I can't figure out why it's such a big deal. It doesn't take much attention to avoid it. If it doesn't drop in, just don't force it. Keep your fingers on the end to control it.

Well, if it happens to you it will be obvious why it is a big deal and how easy it can happen.

Yes, I did it......once.

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    I'm a business card guy. Works and easily available. When a Newb I put a scratch on my Colt Stainless Officers model. A bit of Flitz on a green scotch bright pad and it's gone. Magic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    JetGirl! (or anybody else with an opinion) You seem to me to be the poster-girl around here for 1911s. Seeing as how you are the expert witness on 1911 pistols,I would like to ask some questions.

1- Does a REAL 1911 need to be a Colt, and if not, why not?
    2- Does a REAL 1911 have to be chambered .45 acp, and if not, why not?
    3- Doen't the firing pin block corrupt and violate the Browning patents and thereby doom all newer ones to 1911 hell and if not, why not?
    4- Does being a fat pig high capacity 1911 with a double-stack magazine corrupt and violate the Browning patents and thereby doom all of those to 1911 hell and if not, why not?
    5- Don't the new plastic 1911s violate all that is holy by being bastard half-breed sons of Glock and by their very existence foretell the decline and destruction of the American way of life and if not, why not?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom