If I OC, can I be accused of "impersonating an officer"?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I have an Indiana state police issue Beretta 92 that I lawfully purchased. It still has the Indiana state police grips on it. If I OC this pistol, could I be accused of impersonating an officer, since the state police shield would be visible on the grip of my pistol? Please let me know your thoughts on this.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    You could be accused of anything, will you be arrested and prosecuted for impersonating an officer, IMO no

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I'm not worried, just bored and coming up with random thoughts. My guess was that the first response would be that I could be ACCUSED, because you can be accused of anything. However, it took a whole FOUR posts before the obvious was stated.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I have an Indiana state police issue Beretta 92 that I lawfully purchased. It still has the Indiana state police grips on it. If I OC this pistol, could I be accused of impersonating an officer, since the state police shield would be visible on the grip of my pistol? Please let me know your thoughts on this.

the law clearly states that to be charged with impersonating a officer you have to have a mustache. if you do you should really shave

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I'm not worried, just bored and coming up with random thoughts. My guess was that the first response would be that I could be ACCUSED, because you can be accused of anything. However, it took a whole FOUR posts before the obvious was stated.

How about making this thread slightly less lame and posting a picture?

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    If you WEAR an Indiana State Police badge, and you are not an officer, I think you could be charged with impersonating an officer. So, if you have the badge ON your firearm, couldn't that be construed the same way?

Hoosier9

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    I think it's really a stretch to think that carrying a pistol with ISP grips is the same as impersonating and officer. Here is the statute:

IC 35-44-2-3
    Impersonation of a public servant
    Sec. 3. A person who falsely represents that the person is a public servant, with intent to mislead and induce another person to submit to false official authority or otherwise to act to the other person's detriment in reliance on the false representation, commits impersonation of a public servant, a Class A misdemeanor. However, a person who falsely represents that the person is:
    (1) a law enforcement officer; or
    (2) an agent or employee of the department of state revenue, and collects any property from another person;
    commits a Class D felony.

You have to mislead someone into submitting to false authority before it becomes illegal.

I think the bigger question here is, if you are not with ISP, why would you want to OC a pistol with the ISP logo on the grips? Although not illegal, I put this in the same class as displaying a "CCW" badge. :):

Top Bottom