• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2014
    Ft Wayne
    My choice would be something in a 9mm double stack like and xdm or fn in 9mm for carry, a long distance rifle for my car that i can take hunting, and a shotgun at the house for self defense . Is there really a better way.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2014
    Ft Wayne
    Ik it said handgun but truthfully across the full spectrum what coul any other handgun do that you cant do with an xdm, except maybe a huge bear killing pistol like a 454.

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    I have found the Glock 19 to be a rather good choice for EDC

Bedside I keep a 1911 in .45 ACP. doesnt have a rail so no light, will eventually get one with with a rail because fumbling for the flashlight in the middle of the night when the dog starts barking isnt fun...

and Id love to have a sig p226 9mm.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    If I fell and hit my head sometime after 9/12/94 but before 9/12/04 and went into a coma and woke up today to find all my guns and family gone, knowing what I know now, I would choose one brand and one caliber. Two of the three guns minimum would use the same mags. I would probably choose 9mm because most anyone can shoot a 9. I would probably buy three G19's and a bag full of mags.

Mags are the weakness and what has and will be attacked again. You need to accumulate mags, holsters and spare parts. Standardization makes it easier, then you can branch out and buy more "stuff" to suit your style.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    If I fell and hit my head sometime after 9/12/94 but before 9/12/04 and went into a coma and woke up today to find all my guns and family gone, knowing what I know now, I would choose one brand and one caliber. Two of the three guns minimum would use the same mags. I would probably choose 9mm because most anyone can shoot a 9. I would probably buy three G19's and a bag full of mags.

Mags are the weakness and what has and will be attacked again. You need to accumulate mags, holsters and spare parts. Standardization makes it easier, then you can branch out and buy more "stuff" to suit your style.

You had me right up to the branch out part :yesway:

Pretty much my exact thought pattern.

RND

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2014
    Westfield
    O
    My nightstand gun is, like seedubs1, my gun that I carried that day.

My 3 would be:

Glock 34. 17 rounds of 9mm, only slightly longer than a Glock 17 but has a lighter slide and much better trigger. Can be carried since it is the same size as a full-size 1911 but at half the weight with twice the ammo. Also one of the most predominant competition pistols out there. All around, if I could only have 1 pistol it would be the G34.

Glock 42. A small and concealable pistol that is an absolute blast to shoot! Not a lot of bullets but it functions like it's full-size brothers and would make a great learning tool for a new shooter, a recoil sensitive shooter or a shooter looking to have a lot of fun! Easily the most fun gun I've ever shot.

Glock 19 would be my 3rd. Not perfect but as close to a 'perfect pistol' as you can get. 15 rounds of 9mm, big enough to shoot in any competition or self-defense/pistol training class but still concealable if you wear the right clothes/belt/holster. All larger Glock 9mm magazines will work in it along with any holster as well.

DD,
    I am right there with Ya-almost.
    Having the same operating system for personal defense/ protection was a necessity for me. As a result; after a few unwise purchases, GLOCK has my confidence.

GLOCK 19- if I could only have one,...we all know the rest. It also, goes from holster to night stand. The VICKERS TACTICAL 19 is on a shirt list for me, but am trying to decided if a .45acp is next. I concur that the 19 isn't perfect, but it is for me.

GLOCK 42- This is my number two pistole. Have done a few other sub-compacts including the RUGER LC9S, but the 42 replaced it. PRECISION ONE +p ammo is something I found affordable and preferred with the 42's recoil spring.

GLOCK ?- Decisions, Decisions.

Last edited:

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I don't leave a gun locked up in the car, for obvious reasons.

If I were to limit myself to only 3 handguns, I would probably choose 1 in .22 LR or WM, 1 in a 'defensive' caliber (9mm, .357 Sig, .40, .45? You choose), and 1 for hunting (.44 Mag., .454 Casull, .460 or .500 S&W, .50AE? Again, lots of options).

JMO, but see no reason to have 3 'similar' (i.e., 'self-defense') calibers. Pretty easy to take that EDC and carry it in the vehicle, or set it on the nightstand. Makes more sense to me to have 3 disparate calibers for different uses: small game / plinking, self-defense / plinking, larger game / plinking. :thumbsup:

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^ Ruger SB, .44 mag. S&W 9mm, and Ruger 22/45, with 10 loaded mags.....

behiggie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    Ruger lcp
    Ruger lcr
    Glock 36

I keep one of these around all the time just depends on what I feel like.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Exactly. What ever your choice keep all the same. Lots of mags/parts.

Top Bottom