• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    1. For those interested in a non-resident permit: There is language in the bill that says that the Department (State Police) have to approve which states' residents can get a non-resident permit based on the similarity in firearms laws to Illinois.

I'm curious to see which states will end up "approved". Depending on different states laws regarding how many or which type of convictions or arrests are prohibiting, this may be a hang-up.

Given all the limitations in this Bill, getting Indiana as one of the "approved" states is probably a long shot. However, I don't read it as being required to be a resident of where you hold your permit. It says from any state, so I would think that one could get a non-resident permit from one of the "approved" states.

(b) The Department shall by rule allow for non-resident

license applications from any state or territory of the United

States with laws related to firearm ownership, possession, and

carrying, that are substantially similar to the requirements to

obtain a license under this Act.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    About the only positive I can gather from this bill is that you have an out if you are in your vehicle legally carrying a concealed handgun in Indiana and you should happen to cross over into Illinois. I've heard a few stories about LTCH carriers crossing over into Illinois and getting busted.

It seems that this bill would take care of that . Unless I'm reading it wrong. :dunno:

I am also of the mindset to skip the non-resident ransom and would be satisfied with just being able to cross the border occasionally while driving with a legally loaded concealed carry.

Last edited:

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    So just curious, how much attention local LEOs is going to give to those accidental slipping of your shirt/jacket, thus exposing your firearm and hauling you off to jail?

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    It said that you can't carry on public transportation. That's just stupid. You know how much of Chicago's population uses buses and trains?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    It said that you can't carry on public transportation. That's just stupid. You know how much of Chicago's population uses buses and trains?

That was how they got Chicago to agree.

It will be broken a lot, but people better conceal well when they are.

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    As someone directly involved over the past 10 years, and one who had little sleep the past week, all I can say is those who were not on the ground in Springfield have no idea how big of a victory this bill was for gun owners.

It is absolutely far from perfect, and there are a lot of things I, and every other IL gun owner, hates about it. But this is ILLINOIS! Hell, Obama was personally in town Friday trying to effect this.

There are few states that have started off with a good carry law - high fees, restrictions, excessive training, no reciprocity - actually quite normal for this kind of thing. And we'll have to petition and elect and sue or way to fixing that, just like most of the other states had to. But without this foundation, the battle would take decades more, rather than years. What we won't be doing is quitting, or wasting our time complaining about it to strangers on the internet.

Otis McDonald, a very poor man, spent a small fortune fighting Chicago all the way to the Supreme Court. He received the news of this bill yesterday while recovering from his last chemo treatment. Mary Shepard almost died - beaten within inches of her life in an attack - and rather than nurse her mental health and try to have a normal life again, she sued the State of IL for denying her right to carry. This bill would never have passed if these people hadn't pledged their lives and honor to the cause.

We can ***** about things, or get involved. Those are your choices. If you want reciprocity - well, here's a novel idea, have your attorney general start putting pressure on IL. Join the IL State Rifle Association. Start a letter writing and phone campaign. Find someone with cash and start renting billboards. Everyone wants something for free, and no one wants to do the work.

If I had a dollar for every time I heard someone in another state say "f**k Illinois", I'd be rich. But what no one seems to understand is that Illinois does effect you. So does California and New York and every other state that passes BS laws. Just look at Bloomberg - he spent money in the last IL election - he put money into getting the Colorado gun laws passed. Imagine the funds and effort that will be spent on reversing that mess in Colorado - when you think about it, it would have been cheaper to put those funds into fighting him in his home state. You may not win, but you keep him on the defensive so he leaves us all alone.

As gun owners, we need to start understanding this on a national level. I'm actually ashamed of myself for being so focused on IL that I missed that abortion of anti-gun legislation that just went through in California. That is a foundation for a national ammo license and tax if we aren't careful. We all should have been helping to fight that.

Yes, someone will probably sue, but the Supreme Court is always in a state of flux - judges come and go, and they will not always side with us. The way to beat this is to be on the offensive - don't even give things a chance to go that far.

In other words, it's time for all of us to stop complaining and re-double our efforts.

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    In other words, it's time for all of us to stop complaining and re-double our efforts.

Wise words. Thanks for the local intelligence.

This bill is horrific and I wish it had never passed . . . BUT it is up to us to make it better and better with each passing year.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Where can I read a succinct summary of the new IL carry law? What does it allow, not allow, what are the restrictions, what places are "off limits", who can apply and who can't, fees, application process, etc.?

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Where can I read a succinct summary of the new IL carry law? What does it allow, not allow, what are the restrictions, what places are "off limits", who can apply and who can't, fees, application process, etc.?

A lot of that won't exist for a while. While the bill mandates that these things happen, it will take time for the ISP and others to put in place the actual mechanics. Don't look for a functional system until at least early 2014.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    A lot of that won't exist for a while. While the bill mandates that these things happen, it will take time for the ISP and others to put in place the actual mechanics. Don't look for a functional system until at least early 2014.

I understand that the new IL law may not be functional for a while. But I'd like to understand more about the law as it stands right now. I see a lot of critique going on in this thread, some strong opinions voiced by Kirk Freeman and Glock21, but I don't know enough about the law to understand where they're coming from. Obviously, they know more about it than I do. So what can I read about the new law to catch up with them?

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I understand that the new IL law may not be functional for a while. But I'd like to understand more about the law as it stands right now. I see a lot of critique going on in this thread, some strong opinions voiced by Kirk Freeman and Glock21, but I don't know enough about the law to understand where they're coming from. Obviously, they know more about it than I do. So what can I read about the new law to catch up with them?

I haven't seen a Cliff's Notes version of the bill anywhere yet, so for right now, your going to have to dig into the bill and read it yourself. It's really not that hard to understand, it just takes a little bit of time. There are plenty here that can help you to clarify things you don't understand.

The main thing that is up in the air right now is who/what the State Police will approve for training. Also, there is a question about what states' citizens will be allowed to apply for a non-resident permit. Those things are left for the State Police to sort out (using guidelines in the bill).

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I agree...I was hoping to see constitutional carry
    Worst scenario in Illinois.

That would have opened the door for "home rule" laws and a patchwork of carry restrictions from city to city.

Chicago could have enacted a MAY ISSUE rule with all sorts of GFZs while Kankakee may have enacted a SHALL ISSUE rule with few limits and every town, city or county could do the same.

This is the FIRST VICTORY of this war, the folks in Illinois won a battle, but there will be many more needed to make this law better. Still, its a victory.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    That can only go so far. Remember the appelate court ruled that denying the right to carry violated the state and federal constitutions. It order the state to come up with a law to allow citizens to carry. If any town or county goes so far as to deny the right to carry outside the home or business they are in violation of the court order.

True, but realize that MAY ISSUE laws are LEGAL according to the courts. So all the anti-gun war zones need to do is pass a legal restriction, sort of like NEW YORK CITY, and pretty much everyone who isn't "somebody" is screwed.

Top Bottom