• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    But since Illinois has home rule then each jurisdiction could have passed it own carry restrictions, within reason, and passed court muster. So getting it all would have quickly devolved into chaos.

Uh, how about with the passage of this bill :rockwoot:

And Chicago's handgun ban was reversed, and now their handgun registry and licensing has been reversed. We also reduced the penalty for carrying without a permit, and blocked all future home rule gun laws.

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    No, the bill made things worse.

We were at Constitutional Carry. Now we have this monster.

No we weren't.

At best it was FOID carry, and after the 9th it would have been a patchwork of ridiculous home rule laws. All of which would have required lawsuits and funds to fight, and who knows where they all would have gone. Right now we all have a centralized beast to devote our attention and resources towards fighting.

But I'm sick of arguing about it. It's here now, so we deal with it. The end.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If there was no bill, there would be no possibility of delay.

She will delay it and then it will become far, far worse before it is signed.

Of course, giving in to self-awareness, I may just be cynical over raw deal after raw deal in Illinois.:D

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I don't think she will be granted the extension, but I am completely guessing. I just have to believe that the court will see that the Governor has had time to think this over since the ruling was made and will have enough time to look over the legislation by the deadline already in place.

Besides, the judge will see that there is already enough votes to override Quinn's possible veto. So either with or without the signature, it's going through and 30 days won't change it.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Here comes the boom! Illinois cities rush to ban "assault weapons" under cover of new carry law.

Deerfield, Illinois: Days of our Trailers: And the IL Gun Ban Rush Begins

So the war isn't over in IL yet?:dunno:

the last in the nation goes screamin' and kicken' - no surprise. But they are going and hopefully the passage of some sort of carry law will awaken those quiet sideline supporters of 2A that thought it was impossible. Maybe, just maybe they will now become a little more emboldened to let their voice be heard.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I look at this as a carrot dangling out in front of everyone just out of reach. The original "rift" between the house and senate which watered down the bill was just a ruse to water down the bill and waste time. Everytime someone touches the bill (carrot) they will take a bite out of it thus watering it down. Its not about trying to pass a bill for gun rights, its about passing a bill to satisfy the court while giving all the pols some political cover and putting their enemies, (the republicians and quinn) in the position to look like the bad guys to the most amont of voters possible.

Madigan and Cullerton are putting on a face of being in conflict on a number of pressing issues including guns, pensions, debt, etc but in fact they are in complete agreement on what they want behind the scenes They want to discredit quinn and hang everything they can on him as they are going to run the current AG who is Madigans daughter for Gov in 2014.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I don't think she will be granted the extension, but I am completely guessing. I just have to believe that the court will see that the Governor has had time to think this over since the ruling was made and will have enough time to look over the legislation by the deadline already in place.

Besides, the judge will see that there is already enough votes to override Quinn's possible veto. So either with or without the signature, it's going through and 30 days won't change it.

Well it looks like I was wrong about this. This would be the first time I have ever been wrong that I will admit.

They got their 30 days

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just looked up all of the members of Illegal Mayors Against Guns from Illinois and plotted them on a map. Out of 33 mayors, only 4 are NOT from Chicagoland. Normal, Urbana, East St. Louis, and Carbondale.

Contemplating work opportunities on the [STRIKE]wrong[/STRIKE] west side of the border, I'm wondering if there's a similar guns in parking lots component to the bill under consideration. Anyone know the answer to that question?

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    I just looked up all of the members of Illegal Mayors Against Guns from Illinois and plotted them on a map. Out of 33 mayors, only 4 are NOT from Chicagoland. Normal, Urbana, East St. Louis, and Carbondale.

Normal (Illinois State University) and Urbana (University of Illinois) are both college towns.

East St Louis is a small version of the south side of Chicago with a similar demographic. It has an average of 1627 violent crimes per year and gets a 0 on the safety system with 0 being the least safe, and 100 being the most safe.

Carbondale has an average of 283 violent crimes per year, and gets a 4 on the safety system with 0 being the least safe, and 100 being the most safe.

By the way, Normal gets a score of 30, and Urbana gets a 9.

Top Bottom