• ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Tagged for the answer

Correct. If the General Assembly does nothing, the current state statute is void. In essence, Illinois becomes Wyoming on June 9th.

So, if you are in Illinois for a APhA (Pharmacists for those who do not work in pharmacies like JetGirl) Convention, you could carry as if you are in Vermont, Wyoming, etc.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    How many guns can you conceal under your white lab coat?

images

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Correct. If the General Assembly does nothing, the current state statute is void. In essence, Illinois becomes Wyoming on June 9th.

So, if you are in Illinois for a APhA (Pharmacists for those who do not work in pharmacies like JetGirl) Convention, you could carry as if you are in Vermont, Wyoming, etc.

I've got a question. How would that work with the current requirement of an FOID or equivalent? I know according to the IL supreme court that a LTCH counts as an FOID for purposes of IL law and I believe any other states carry/possession/owner card will work also. But what about people that do not have one of those? Let's say residents of Vermont that don't have a non-resident permit from another state.

If I understand the ruling correctly, they said that the ban on carrying is unconstitutional, there was no mention of the FOID, I could see some of the politicians pushing for and/or some of the officers there jamming people up if they don't have one. Not for carrying illegally, because they wouldn't be. But for possession without the proper papers.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    who cares i have no reason or desire to go in or through that state!!

YOU, sir, didn't have your Maybelline Bubble Gum flavored Kissing Potion Roller Gloss stolen by a mugger!! Granted, he was a polite mugger... but nobody's lips need glossed by theft. If I find that guy...I'm totally waterboarding him for info as to the whereabouts of my gloss and I hope his lips chap from it!
    The nerve of some people.
    Hmphf.

kissing+potion.jpg

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Re-read People v. Holmes.

I re-read it, but it doesn't answer my question. Per IL law a person must have an FOID(or equivalent) to possess a firearm there.
    430 ILCS 65/  Firearm Owners Identification Card Act.
    (430 ILCS 65/2) (from Ch. 38, par. 83-2)
    Sec. 2. Firearm Owner's Identification Card required; exceptions.
    (a) (1) No person may acquire or possess any firearm, stun gun, or taser within this State without having in his or her possession a Firearm Owner's Identification Card previously issued in his or her name by the Department of State Police under the provisions of this Act.

So from my reading if a IN resident(or any other state) doesn't have a LTCH or non-resident from another state, even if IL goes Constitutional carry they would still be violating the law. Not on carry, but on possessing without a FOID.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    but that law regarding foid's is only for IL residents. non-IL residents can NOT get an FOID card.

the 09 june deadline is making a mess of il's laws for non-residents as unforeseen consequence imo

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    but that law regarding foid's is only for IL residents. non-IL residents can NOT get an FOID card.

the 09 june deadline is making a mess of il's laws for non-residents as unforeseen consequence imo

One of the exemptions to that law is if a non-resident has a similar state issued license/permit.10) Nonresidents who are currently licensed or
    registered to possess a firearm in their resident state;

The IL supreme court ruled that an LTCH works for purposes of that law, which is why I mentioned IN residents without a LTCH or VT residents. So how I read the law, if they get Constitutional carry, a person will still be required to get a license/permit of some sort from their home state to be able to legally carry.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    YOU, sir, didn't have your Maybelline Bubble Gum flavored Kissing Potion Roller Gloss stolen by a mugger!! Granted, he was a polite mugger... but nobody's lips need glossed by theft. If I find that guy...I'm totally waterboarding him for info as to the whereabouts of my gloss and I hope his lips chap from it!
    The nerve of some people.
    Hmphf.

kissing+potion.jpg

Geez -
    You are such a Girly-Girl sometimes. Kissing Potions - That's just silliness.

Oh - And I miss the Root Beer Float and the Cola Fizz - Yummmmmmmy
    I definitely went through my share of that lip gloss back then.

On the receiving end ---- Thank You. :naughty:

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Shurrrrrre. The "receiving end"... Uh huh. Shurrre.
    We all really believe that. A lot. ;)

Hey - That stuff was almost a requirement before a date.
    It was in the top 10, right under - Breathing. :D

Seriously, I remember sending my date back to the car because she left her purse the lip stuff out their. We kept running dry.
    I remember that, as clear as day, but I still don't remember her name.

It's so popular that you even got mugged for it.

What was this thread about anyway? :dunno:

TEK

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    st joe county
    I lived in Chicagoland for about 6 years, 1985-1991. I told my friends there when I left that, sometime before I die, I will return to Chicago and will walk down Michigan Ave. with a concealed handgun and will do so legally.

I am more encouraged than ever that I will indeed do just that.

a lot of really decent law abiding people walk right down Mag mile packing quietly without giving 2 ****s about the stupid Jane Byrne ban. and I daresy most of the CPD never gives a fig about that much either

I would think michigan avenue would be a really bad place to try and pull a violent crime, actually.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    well on the mag miles this past year there was a high profile shooting in broad day light.
    lots of crime downtown its just not reported most of the time.

7urtle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    hammond
    who cares i have no reason or desire to go in or through that state!!
    some of us do.
    I re-read it, but it doesn't answer my question. Per IL law a person must have an FOID(or equivalent) to possess a firearm there.
    430*ILCS*65/**Firearm Owners Identification Card Act.

So from my reading if a IN resident(or any other state) doesn't have a LTCH or non-resident from another state, even if IL goes Constitutional carry they would still be violating the law. Not on carry, but on possessing without a FOID.

well i have my foid from when i was a IL resident. so can i still use it?

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    A little off topic but, We have off duty Chicago cops for security at work. Yesterday I was talking to one of them and asked what the police, rank and file not the talking heads, thought about people carrying in Chicago.
    His response was that they (most) were all for it. We had a nice discussion about guns, shooting, and reloading.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    some of us do.

well i have my foid from when i was a IL resident. so can i still use it?

Your FOID and mine too are no longer valid since we are not IL residents anymore and obviously the address is NOT correct...heck the state, city and ZIP isnt even correct considering we live in Indiana now. I would NOT flash your FOID in Illinois with a Indiana drivers license in your wallet and Indiana plates on your vehicle.

Top Bottom