• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Are tasers being phased out or is this just another less lethal option?

There's a pretty significant difference in distance in the use of either item. If I'm considering using a less lethal shotgun at a distance I typically use a taser, odds are I have my REAL gun drawn.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I don't have to be on IMPD to tell you, we BOTH know that ain't ever going to happen.

Normally I'd agree with you but this could be different, the concession to my optimism is that many officers will have to utilize a personally owned shotgun (there are a few hundred in use already) as I don't see a large purchase of shotguns happening. Aside from the weapon, the bags and the training aren't much of a hurdle.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Normally I'd agree with you but this could be different, the concession to my optimism is that many officers will have to utilize a personally owned shotgun (there are a few hundred in use already) as I don't see a large purchase of shotguns happening. Aside from the weapon, the bags and the training aren't much of a hurdle.

Oh, if its personally owned, then yeah, I can see it.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    As in take a class? We don't. We do a training on it (all officers) on red and green zones, fire like 10 rounds, and you're good to go.

I know another LEO that had to jump through the hoops before getting one assigned to him.
    I didn't get detail but from his talk I figured (assumed) he had to get some training.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Do the officers have to be trained and certified for these?

Our officers must attend training before receiving one of the BB shotguns, it will likely be a one day course. Every officer on the department will receive a briefing on the program so there are no surprises when they are deployed.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Our officers must attend training before receiving one of the BB shotguns, it will likely be a one day course. Every officer on the department will receive a briefing on the program so there are no surprises when they are deployed.
    In my limited experience much of the training focuses on NEVER putting anything but a beanbag in them. It really puckers a lot of people when the "less lethal" gets cleared and 4 beanbags and 2 slugs pops out...

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Out of curiosity, other than getting a guy to come down off the roof of the house he set on fire, how often is this being used?

I'm totally all about options, but is there a point of diminishing return?

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    i thought bb could be fired out of any slick bore gun?
    Oh, they can but the department SOP's that I am familiar with say only beanbag in beanbag guns because the guns are used to cover officers down range during hostage situations etc. and because the guns are frequently handed off among officers. There is Mucho liability if someone catches a lead round from an officer who says I thought less than lethal was appropriate.

Most of them have a big stamp in black block letters on an orange stock that says "LESS LETHAL ONLY" or something to that effect.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Oh, they can but the department SOP's that I am familiar with say only beanbag in beanbag guns because the guns are used to cover officers down range during hostage situations etc. and because the guns are frequently handed off among officers. There is Mucho liability if someone catches a lead round from an officer who says I thought less than lethal was appropriate.

Most of them have a big stamp in black block letters on an orange stock that says "LESS LETHAL ONLY" or something to that effect.

ok thanks for the explanation....

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Out of curiosity, other than getting a guy to come down off the roof of the house he set on fire, how often is this being used?

I'm totally all about options, but is there a point of diminishing return?
    Once again, in my limited experience, they usually are being used on mental subjects where a potential weapon is a concern.

Top Bottom