• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Our officers must attend training before receiving one of the BB shotguns, it will likely be a one day course. Every officer on the department will receive a briefing on the program so there are no surprises when they are deployed.

Thats good to hear. The one time I deployed my less lethal outside of an ERG environment my (admittedly very young and very new) beat partners had no idea what to expect and believed that it was going to be the "end all" of that situation. It was not.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yes ..... but they are probably filled with mocha coffee beans.......
    Dude. Those beans aren't going to grind themselves.

They're filled AFTER the beans are ground. I think Javan Mystique is the flavor the mayor chose for 2017.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Just spitballing here....

With all the (understandable) angst over loading live rounds into a shotgun intended for less-lethal purposes, I wonder if there is a hardware solution. Perhaps an ingenious and enterprising gunsmith could invent say a rimfire 12 ga shell and modify 870 bolts to fire them.

I havent done any research. Maybe that mistake has never been made and this is a solution to a non-existent problem. But my mind wanders

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

With all the (understandable) angst over loading live rounds into a shotgun intended for less-lethal purposes, I wonder if there is a hardware solution. Perhaps an ingenious and enterprising gunsmith could invent say a rimfire 12 ga shell and modify 870 bolts to fire them.

I havent done any research. Maybe that mistake has never been made and this is a solution to a non-existent problem. But my mind wanders

That's what I'm wondering. Make them incapable of using standard ammo.
    I'm guessing costs involved would override the threat level here though.
    It's expensive to idiot proof the world.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I'll tell you what, though, Remington would do well to consider front-loading the development expenses for the bolt (which really wouldn't be much) and the rimfire beanbag round. They could sell them as a package deal with the full gun for departments or just the bolts for where officers need to get their own.

The training/replacement bean bag rounds would probably be where the real money was made over time.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

Or make it a different gauge so it couldn't load in a 12 gauge? I'm thinking something similar to Ar15 uppers, everything stays the same except for the barrel.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Or make it a different gauge so it couldn't load in a 12 gauge? I'm thinking something similar to Ar15 uppers, everything stays the same except for the barrel.
    I like this idea - 2 bore bean bag guns FTW!

:D

***BBBBOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMM*** thwack

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas

The training/replacement bean bag rounds would probably be where the real money was made over time.

Especially if you could start a public-relations campaign that "fair-trade" beans are much more humane non-lethal rounds and then charge out the wazoo for "certified fair-trade Costa Rican bean bags". All the big blue city governments would gobble them up. Dump some campaign donations into the council-person's coffers, and pretty soon all the police cars in the city would start smelling like Starbucks. (which would probably be an upgrade, no?)

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Especially if you could start a public-relations campaign that "fair-trade" beans are much more humane non-lethal rounds and then charge out the wazoo for "certified fair-trade Costa Rican bean bags". All the big blue city governments would gobble them up. Dump some campaign donations into the council-person's coffers, and pretty soon all the police cars in the city would start smelling like Starbucks. (which would probably be an upgrade, no?)

I like where this is going. If phylodog needed to do a desk pop, he could pick up the bag afterward and throw it in the coffee maker for a fresh pot.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Hey now, re-shoring is all the rage now. No Costa Rican subsidization.

Let's just call them "organic" beans and make them here in 'Merica. Or "free range organic beans." That'd be awesome.

Do beans have gender?

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Plus, after a couple are deployed, there'd be enough to lounge on.

That jackbooting is hard. work.

:)

I can see frank kicked back in his 2 bore bean bag projectile/chair, polishing the blood and slobber off his boots right there at the scene.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I can see frank kicked back in his 2 bore bean bag projectile/chair, polishing the blood and slobber off his boots right there at the scene.
    Well, for him that's called "Just Another Saturday" amiright.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Out of curiosity, other than getting a guy to come down off the roof of the house he set on fire, how often is this being used?

I'm totally all about options, but is there a point of diminishing return?

The Sheriff's Department had a bean bag shotgun program prior to the merger with IPD back in 2007. I'd say it was successful and I don't recall any applications which were questioned as inappropriate.

This is the specific incident which brought a bean bag program back to life and is a textbook example of when they could/would be used.
    [video=youtube;4o86euHlHWE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o86euHlHWE[/video]

Top Bottom