• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    well, it depends on what route you want to go.

you can educate, and correct them abotu the law, if they are misinformed. you have the right to carry a knife. they can like it or not, but its your right.

you can ignore.

you can tell them to mind their own business. its really none of theirs.

you can talk to them about the knife, try to get them involved, and see you aren't some looney who wants to stab someone. just a guy with a tool.

no one can really TELL you how to handle it..... but i would just stick with being a nice guy and return the "is that knife" question with "yes, it is."...

citycreek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    7-19-2009
    IC 35-47-5-2
    Knife with blade that opens automatically or may be propelled
    Sec. 2. It is a Class B misdemeanor for a person to manufacture, possess, display, offer, sell, lend, give away, or purchase any knife with a blade that:
    (1) opens automatically; or
    (2) may be propelled;
    by hand pressure applied to a button, device containing gas, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.70-2000, SEC.2.

So just to make sure, a spring-assisted knife is legal in Indiana?

Sadly when moving to IN, I had to leave behind my Benchmade 9050.

Also left behind my favorite pocket knife ever, a smaller spring-assisted Benchmade, because I wasn't sure if they were okay in IN. Now I must retrieve it the next time I go back.

The PROFET

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    Dawsonville Ga.
    Knife carry

I have friends in Indiana, who don't carry knives or guns and when they come to Georgia, they flip out , because in ga you can have a switch blade if you have a carry permit, you can carry a fix-blade knife openly on your belt just about anywhere. I go into stores with my daughter (27,5ft5 weighs101lbs) and she has a sheith knife about 12in long on her belt, we even go in resteraunts, and no one says anything, never have.

TJSieling

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Indianapolis - West Side
    I'll post in here first, to see if I get a response.

So there are restrictions to what kind of knife (automatics= bad, assisted= ok), and no apparent prejudice against fixed knives. I looked as far as my eyes could see online about carrying a fixed blade (in Avon), and I would really like to carry this.

Frost Cutlery's Lone Wolf

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/1514/15032bcrop.jpg

10 1/4" overall length, and I want to say, without measuring, that the blade is maybe 6 inches, and comes with a nylon sheath and a belt loop for me to use.

Would I be able to carry this?

Last edited:

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I'll post in here first, to see if I get a response.

So there are restrictions to what kind of knife (automatics= bad, assisted= ok), and no apparent prejudice against fixed knives. I looked as far as my eyes could see online about carrying a fixed blade (in Avon), and I would really like to carry this.

Frost Cutlery's Lone Wolf

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/1514/15032bcrop.jpg

10 1/4" overall length, and I want to say, without measuring, that the blade is maybe 6 inches, and comes with a nylon sheath and a belt loop for me to use.

Would I be able to carry this?

In Indiana you can carry a fixed blade knife and there is no limit on the length. With that said ....there possibly could be a local law that may prohibit you from carry or have length restrictions. I suggest you check and see if Avon or Hendricks county has any local laws regarding carry and blade length. :twocents:

whitetrash

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    lebanon
    on the fixed blade thing.....i have checked and even asked the police in Lebanon and they dont know anything about restrictions on blade length. so im taking it that there isnt any. and i will start carring my k-bar.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    I was always under the impression there was some legality regarding knives/bladed objects to be carried, especially regarding length.

According to this thread, one can carry a machete/k-bar or some other tool and ought to face no legal restrictions, as long as they stay within the regulations?

I've always felt that 2A ought not just apply to "firearms" but various forms of weaponry; I suppose this way it just draws the line in the sand between constitutional protection.

Im curious if Knive laws apply to all bladed tools, like Hatchets,ax etc.

Again, under the impressions from Society.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    if the founding fathers thought the future government would have become so controlling in micro managing the american public, im sure they would have added MANY things to the constitution to tell them to get off our backs. oh wait scratch that, they did tell us how to get them off our backs. enough said.

TJSieling

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Indianapolis - West Side
    I was just told by a state trooper, that there is no limits on what you can carry (besides the ones labeled in the IC).

And I quote:

"You could carry a broadsword into Walmart, and you might get weird looks, you might get asked about it, but no one can say anything about it."

jboritzki

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I don't think anyone really enforces the "switchblade" being illegal law. Of course it can be enforced by any LEO at any time they choose, but just about any flea market sells the things. Cheap junkie things but nonetheless they're button in the handle deployed switchblades. I don't have any because they're illegal, but I'd like to see the law changed. The law against switchblades has got to be a dumber law than any ever made to restrict firearms. Really? If you push a button on the handle it's illegal? That makes it's more dangerous? Bad guys wait till they're in your face before deploying their switchblade knife? Because I always thought if they were going to harm or rob you with a knife, they'd already have the thing out and deployed before you even knew they were coming for you. For the love of God, how can humans call themselves intelligent life when they make or accept laws that are so incredibly stupid and useless?

I know I feel safer knowing that buttons are illegal!

L-W-R-C

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Willow Branch
    so if i have throwing stars in my house is it illegal to have them or are they talking about it being illegal to carry them on your person?

TJSieling

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Indianapolis - West Side
    so if i have throwing stars in my house is it illegal to have them or are they talking about it being illegal to carry them on your person?

You are allowed to have them, it is illegal to carry them around with you.

edit: Like stilettos and switchblades. They are illegal to carry, but you can have an entire collection in your house as far as I know without getting in trouble. That's why I go to flea markets and see them for sale everywhere I go.

If I'm wrong let me know.

Last edited:

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    You are allowed to have them, it is illegal to carry them around with you.

edit: Like stilettos and switchblades. They are illegal to carry, but you can have an entire collection in your house as far as I know without getting in trouble. That's why I go to flea markets and see them for sale everywhere I go.

If I'm wrong let me know.

it is illegal to own stars and autos in indiana. you can't even have them in your home, legally. and "stilettos" aren't illegal unless they are automatic opening (auto).

Top Bottom