• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rocky1927

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    I've learned more about knife laws right here in the last ten minutes than I have in the last twenty years of living in this state. Thanks, folks!

aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    At least in Indiana, unlike Illinois I don't have to worry when I'm carrying my Boker Plus MPT. Kind of sucks that I work in Illinois now :( I just carry a CRKT/KO Eros just to be safe when I'm going to work. Unfortunately, my fiance is in KY and oddly enough their laws on knives seems more troublesome than IN state law.

Of course I make sure I don't walk across school property. Heck, I even make sure I tread the sidewalk across the street from said schools. Not taking chances.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    I have a Benchmade Infidel-3300 and I purchased it on a military post and was told as an addendum to the law there is a loophole for law-enforcement and military personnel to be allowed to carry OTF autos. Anyone know about this?

YouTube - IMG 2327

its a very commonly parroted falsehood. there is absolutely no loophole for an automatic knife.

JStark6213

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2010
    Brownsburg, IN
    I know there is no written law about blade length, but I have spoken with plenty of Cops and they say that if the blade is over 3 inches they can give you some grief about it.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I know there is no written law about blade length, but I have spoken with plenty of Cops and they say that if the blade is over 3 inches they can give you some grief about it.

Sure they can. The same way they can give you grief about your ethnicity, hair color, or the make or model of your car, which is to say that yes, they can do it and risk the complaint to the chief you're going to make for being hassled while committing no crime at all.

Oh, and a couple of posts upthread, yes, there may be such a law that allowed for the possession and use of switchblades. It doesn't exist in Indiana, but it may somewhere else. ;)

Blessings,
    Bill

bboffard

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2011
    Bloomington
    so can i not carry a pocket knife on my college campus!? IF my knife is clipped into my pocket but partially protruding as most ends will stick out a little bit - is this illegal!? I carry a columbia river m16 illegal!?

Rocky1927

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    I saw an ad for a Microtech UTX-70 that said that, due to its short blade length, (less than 2 1/2 inches long), it may not be considered a switchblade knife in all states. Does anyone know anything about this? Thanks!

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    rocky,

blade length and "switchblade" are two completely unrelated items. not sure what teh ad's intent was, but they are always two seperate issues.

irreguardless of blade length, its an auto so its illegal in indiana.

iufan2010

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 18, 2011
    southeast side of indy
    After traveling around I realized how lenient Indiana really is when it comes to knives. I just got back from Colorado and you could not have anything over 3.5 inches unless you could prove it was for a sporting purpose. We're pretty lucky with the setup we have here

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    I haven't read this whole thread since it's one in the morning and I got church later, but I carry my Romanian Ak-47 bayonet everywhere except church and nice restaurants. No one ever says a thing and no one asks what knife it is but I understand. Either it's sheeple, or it's people who know. :D

P.S. Yes it's a bayonet. Yes it's only got one bevel. Yes it's sharpened, and it cuts like a razor. Plus a $13 bayonet isn't one to scoff at when/if you need a weapon. Or wire cutters :laugh:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Is there an age restriction on carrying a pocket knife? When I was a kid13 years and up, I always had a pocket knife with me.

As far as I know, no, there is not an age restriction on carrying a knife.

But you have to be 16 or older to buy one (it could be lower if the parent is there with them).

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    rocky,

blade length and "switchblade" are two completely unrelated items. not sure what teh ad's intent was, but they are always two seperate issues.

irreguardless of blade length, its an auto so its illegal in indiana.

I've seen that same thing in certain ads, but most of the ones I've seen mention something about a sub 2.5" or sub 2" length as a "California legal" auto knife due to length, I've never seen any exception in Indiana, though I've hear the LEO/Military/Paramedic loophole myth most of my life.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    after reading through the relative IC and the last 8 pages of this thread, I have one question: Would I be breaking the law if I had this:
    DSC01218.jpg

strapped to my shin while biking on the Monon? the blade is approximately 6 inches long, fixed. I'm not asking if I'd get stopped by the police, I"m asking if I would be breaking the law.

Top Bottom