• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ol' trucker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    indianapolis
    I'm not a cop basher. but that is pretty sad when a prof football player with a helmit and pads on,would probably be in more trouble than what the officer in the video will be, for a vicious hit like that.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'd like to consider myself as being reasonable. My Uncle was in LE and was someone I always looked up to. When I was hired he gave me a piece of advice; "Work hard, be fair to the public and support the people you work with". I had that advice laminated on a piece of paper which has ridden behind the LE ID in my wallet every day since I have had a badge.

I know I've said this before but I repeat it because I am proud of it. I have 12 years on the job. I have worked four years in undercover narcotics, three years on a high activity uniformed patrol unit and eight years on SWAT. I have never received any discipline, received a complaint or been sued. I have been in two vehicle pursuits (and numerous shorter) that lasted more than twenty minutes with no crashes other than the bad guys car and no innocent people were injured. I have had a Taser for ten years and have never used it. I have also never been given an award of any kind which is just how I like it. If I can maintain that record until I retire I will have accomplished my goal. The law can be enforced vigorously and without overstepping the authority granted. There are a lot more officers like me than there are like you read about in the news.

ETA: Thanks for the rep Rambone

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    I'd like to consider myself as being reasonable. My Uncle was in LE and was someone I always looked up to. When I was hired he gave me a piece of advice; "Work hard, be fair to the public and support the people you work with". I had that advice laminated on a piece of paper which has ridden behind the LE ID in my wallet every day since I have had a badge.

I know I've said this before but I repeat it because I am proud of it. I have 12 years on the job. I have worked four years in undercover narcotics, three years on a high activity uniformed patrol unit and eight years on SWAT. I have never received any discipline, received a complaint or been sued. I have been in two vehicle pursuits that lasted more than twenty minutes with no crashes. I have had a Taser for ten years and have never used it. I have also never been given an award of any kind which is just how I like it. If I can maintain that record until I retire I will have accomplished my goal. The law can be enforced vigorously and without overstepping the authority granted. There are a lot more officers like me than there are like you read about in the news.

ETA: Thanks for the rep Rambone
    phylo you sound like a good man and a good leo. the only question i have is the part about supporting the people you work with. if and when you see anything thats not right will you step up?

nawainwright

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I think he was being sarcastic.

Without knowing how the entire event unfolded, I can't make a judgement other than the shove. Any reasonable innocent man would answer questions and not move away. Was there contact made before they came into view of the camera? Was the guy even aware something had happened, the cops were there, and he was their prime suspect? If I saw a Leo approaching me as though he were about to tackle me and I had no idea why, I'd move away from him as well.

This is the important thing to figure out. Even if the cop did say something before he bum rushed him, its not unreasonable to think that an innocent man wouldn't think he was being talked to if he hadn't done anything. If you're just walking in to a movie and some yells "STOP" you're gonna look around (obvious this happened) but you don't necessarily think its for you.

ol' trucker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    indianapolis
    This is the important thing to figure out. Even if the cop did say something before he bum rushed him, its not unreasonable to think that an innocent man wouldn't think he was being talked to if he hadn't done anything. If you're just walking in to a movie and some yells "STOP" you're gonna look around (obvious this happened) but you don't necessarily think its for you.

Check your post count...Oh no:D

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008

Without knowing what precipitated it, we can't determine if he was "running" from the cop. Was there already hands on before coming into the frame or was the guy's first knowledge of the incident a mere seconds before coming in frame?

I don't think for a minute that the officer thought that his shove was going to result in him hitting his head the way he did on the wall. If the guy was going hands on with the cops before the shove, then the shove may be appropriate. I don't know enough to make a judgment.

I'd like to know how the situation was handled after he was knocked out. The officer clearly knew he was unconscious by the way he pulled him away from the wall. What was the purpose for immediately grabbing him? How long did it take for an ambulance to be called, to arrive, etc? If he laid there for several minutes, hours, etc., did that help contribute to his current condition?

It's my hope that the situation will be investigated properly and the appropriate justice served. This is where I lack confidence.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    phylo you sound like a good man and a good leo. the only question i have is the part about supporting the people you work with. if and when you see anything thats not right will you step up?

I would and I think the guys I've worked with know that. Fortunately no one has ever put me in that position.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    He must have seen a few too many YouTube videos of government brutality. Unfortunately it looks like he had a very good reason to be scared of that guy. We'll never know what spooked him. If there was something illegal found on him they would definitely be advertising it to limit the public sympathy. Hell at least they didn't charge him with resisting arrest while he was in a coma. LOL

ol' trucker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    indianapolis
    He must have seen a few too many YouTube videos of government brutality. Unfortunately it looks like he had a very good reason to be scared of that guy. We'll never know what spooked him. If there was something illegal found on him they would definitely be advertising it to limit the public sympathy. Hell at least they didn't charge him with resisting arrest while he was in a coma. LOL

rambone....only you brother.lol:rockwoot:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Should it make sense to me that the actions of an officer in Seattle should impact someone's opinion of me? If you can make that make sense I'll no longer have to wonder.

You personally are not being judged. Your profession and the collective body of uniformed (and un-uniformed) citizens with badges are.

Reasonable people will always give the individual a chance to prove he doesn't fit the stereotype. But don't expect reasonable people not to start with a stereotype if the stereotypical behavior is becoming (or seeming to become--after all, perception is reality) more common.

Even here there are some LEOs who perpetuate the stereotype through their posts. Those who don't are not held in contempt.

But regardless, part of the problem is not the individual behavior or even the seemingly increasing propensity of LE to act in such a manner, but the increasing powers and authority granted to LE which makes such behavior untouchable. We'd be fine if the book were thrown as the asshats who behave this way. But it's not.

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    Should it make sense to me that the actions of an officer in Seattle should impact someone's opinion of me? If you can make that make sense I'll no longer have to wonder.

Should it make sense that the actions of a crazy person in Arizona should impact what accessories I can legally purchase for my rifle? Police Sheriff Dupnik thinks so.

This officer deserves life in prison. Sorry for your mistake, that measure would ensure a mistake like that could never be carried out by that criminal again.

Top Bottom