John Moses Browning: limited by technology?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Was JMB limited by bullet and propellant technology?

• Yes, he could make better firearms than he did in the 19th and early 20th century if he had our ammo

• No, he wasn't limited by/to any technology because he simply invented what he needed to

• Bacon

Results are only viewable after voting.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I didn't want to keep derailing a pic thread with a petty but interesting argument.

Was JMB limited by/to technology in his day? Specifically ammunition design and powder chemistry.

My view is that no, JMB was not limited by technology. If JMB came up against a limitation to what he wanted or needed to accomplish he created whatever he needed to in order to get the job done.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    JMB gave us the lever action Winchester, the first auto-loader shotgun (Wichester Model 1897,) the Model 8 Remington, the 1911, the pump action from the Model 1897 was used on the greatest pump shotgun ever (Winchester Model 12,) military firearms such as the M1917, M1918, M1919, and the Ma Duece.

Calibers invented include God's caliber (.45 acp) and the .50 BMG. Also the .380 and (yes) the .25 auto.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    JMB gave us the lever action Winchester, the first auto-loader shotgun (Wichester Model 1897,) the Model 8 Remington, the 1911, the pump action from the Model 1897 was used on the greatest pump shotgun ever (Winchester Model 12,) military firearms such as the M1917, M1918, M1919, and the Ma Duece.

Calibers invented include God's caliber (.45 acp) and the .50 BMG. Also the .380 and (yes) the .25 auto.
    No doubt he was a great engineer. But do these designs have anything to do with the base question.

“Was JMB limited by/to the technology of his day? Specifically ammunition design and powder chemistry?”

I believe he could have done/been better with today’s advancements if he had been aware of the things we take for granted today. Specifically modern powder energy. Bullet jacket design.

I did not realize the thread I entered into was a pic thread. I’m not the first and only person to do this today. I also was not made aware that this poll was being put up. I’m the other side of the argument the OP is making.

So in fair and open voting let the members of INGO decide. May the most votes decide the answer.

And thank you Titanium_Frost for making this poll without letting me state my side of the disagreement.

edit: spelling

Last edited:

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    No doubt he was a great engineer. But do these designs have anything to do with the base question.

“Was JMB limited by/to the technology of his day? Specifically ammunition design and powder chemistry?”

I believe he could have done/been better with today’s advancements if he had been aware of the things we take for granted today. Specifically modern powder energy. Bullet jacket design.

I did not realize the thread I entered into was a pic thread. I’m not the first and only person to do this today. I also was not made aware that this pole was being put up. I’m the other side of the argument the OP is making.

So in fair and open voting let the members of INGO decide. May the most votes decide the answer.

And thank you Titanium_Frost for making this poll without letting me state my side of the disagreement.
    Umm here you are, stating your side of the argument... I just wanted to keep an interesting conversation going. You said you didn't want to argue about it any longer, I was respecting your wishes. It's not like I called you out or anything.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Umm here you are, stating your side of the argument... I just wanted to keep an interesting conversation going. You said you didn't want to argue about it any longer, I was respecting your wishes. It's not like I called you out or anything.
    No you didn’t. What you did was start a, how did you phrase it
    “A petty but interesting argument “ poll in another sub forum without advising the opposing individual. If you thought your point was valid and correct in it‘s base the least you could have done was suggest we move to a more appropriate forum. You didn’t do that. So what is your intent? I didn’t and don’t want to argue, but that’s not to say I can’t have a conversation about anything gun.

I am willing to let the INGO community decide the answer. No hard feelings what ever the decision is. Good luck to you.

By the way the start of this differing point of view is in the thread regarding pics of your pocket gun or some such. I can come back and post a link……I think, I’m not real good at this stuff.

:edited to correct specifics

Last edited:

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans

I believe this is it, I’ll check when I post it. I will Delete if mistaken.

Last edited:

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-

I just watched gun stories today about the M1895 potato digger. Who would have thought it was actually an automated lever gun, igenius; simple, effective, and relatively reliable.

I guess the cook off tendencies with the first versions we’re pretty scary though.

Many of us don’t like plastic, and I’m one of them. But I got to admit, if JMB had access to some of today’s materials, I’m sure he would’ve come up with something amazing.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Nowhere do I say ammo, your question seems to be biased to lean in your favor? Why would you change the disagreement if you had faith in your prospective?

This election was stolen.
    This election was rigged.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I didn't want to keep derailing a pic thread with a petty but interesting argument.

Was JMB limited by/to technology in his day? Specifically ammunition design and powder chemistry.

My view is that no, JMB was not limited by technology. If JMB came up against a limitation to what he wanted or needed to accomplish he created whatever he needed to in order to get the job done.
    Captured for posterity sake, original language.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I thought the first auto loading shotgun Winchester made was the Model 1911SL? aka "Widow Maker"
    "First commercially successful pump-action shotgun" would've been more accurate. Although pumps are referred to as auto-loaders... just don't call them "pumpers" ;)

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    He was a pioneer. So yes he was limited. But someone has to be the first at it. And also work out problems at the time that will be refined thru the years.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    "First commercially successful pump-action shotgun" would've been more accurate. Although pumps are referred to as auto-loaders... just don't call them "pumpers" ;)

That is the question on the floor, the one you voted NO to. Nothing about first this or second that.

I will ask you straight out was J Browning limited by the technology of his day. It’s a yes or no question? ………Sir

Top Bottom