John Moses Browning: limited by technology?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Was JMB limited by bullet and propellant technology?

• Yes, he could make better firearms than he did in the 19th and early 20th century if he had our ammo

• No, he wasn't limited by/to any technology because he simply invented what he needed to

• Bacon

Results are only viewable after voting.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    “Was JMB limited by/to the technology of his day? Specifically ammunition design and powder chemistry?”

That is the question on the floor, the one you voted NO to. Nothing about first this or second that.

I will ask you straight out was J Browning limited by the technology of his day. It’s a yes or no question? ………Sir
    I don't do "yes or no"... it's not my way.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    INGO members please take note the poll in question is a flat
    two option Yes or No question.

Ummm you guys do your own math.

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    So did you vote? Don’t see it. My side could use your vote. But you do you.
    I voted Bacon. lol Mainly because if he had better ammo than he would not have been the pioneer he is remembered as today. But I also feel that with the limitations would cause him to be more creative and make a more solid design. But I am being me.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I voted Bacon. lol Mainly because if he had better ammo than he would not have been the pioneer he is remembered as today. But I also feel that with the limitations would cause him to be more creative and make a more solid design. But I am being me.
    Ya, I think I’ve made my point………I think we’re done here

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Regarding the .45 ACP and the M1911, JMB was given the design goal of creating a pistol with the same terminal ballistics as the M1873 Colt Single Action Army Revolver. Technology enabled creating a much shorter smokeless powder cartridge for it, versus the black powder origins of the .45 (long) Colt cartridge for the M1873 (40 grains black powder with 255 grain blunt nose bullet).

"Modern" smokeless powder developed in several forms for practical use in small arms circa 1884-1891 enabled the much shorter cartridge designed for the pistol. This was JMB's major technology enabler.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Ya, I think I’ve made my point………I think we’re done here
    I haven't run into an a guy like you on INGO in a good while. I think that was half the reason I quit frequenting these boards for so long.

Anyways... Since I'm already knee deep in this lets get down to brass tacks:

Nowhere do I say ammo, your question seems to be biased to lean in your favor? Why would you change the disagreement if you had faith in your prospective?

This election was stolen.
    This election was rigged.

But this is what you said in the other thread: (Italics mine)

Truly correct, but my point, small tho it was. The advancement in chemical engineering and bullet jacketing is what I was talking about. Heck the advancement in bullet jackets alone in the last 25 years would have given JB a whole different world to work with. I only wish he and a few other old timers could be with us now.

So it seems like you're the one who keeps changing your point, and being bossy like a 10 yo girl haha. I already have one preteen girl at my house I'm dealing with at the moment. Perhaps you'll take your own suggestion and be done here.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Bacon is the only answer that's correct. Yes, metallurgy, powders etc were a limiting factor in something light enough to be a personal weapon. Yes, he was a very smart man that worked around those limitations to still create timeless designs that are still great weapons. I say this as I have a functioning Remington Model 11 that was manufactured in 1908 and it developed a hairline crack at the rear bolt opening on the receiver.

So as normal per INGO you're both right and both arguing silliness.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The biggest thing JMB was lacking in his designs was modern manufacturing and the use of stamped steel parts. You don't see this in his designs simply because it wasn't in use much during his lifetime. Sheet metal stamping gets going in this country with the production of bicycles in the 1880s and moves quickly into cars. Even in the 1920s you are still seeing most guns made with milled forgings or cast parts.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I haven't run into an a guy like you on INGO in a good while. I think that was half the reason I quit frequenting these boards for so long.

Anyways... Since I'm already knee deep in this lets get down to brass tacks:

But this is what you said in the other thread: (Italics mine)

So it seems like you're the one who keeps changing your point, and being bossy like a 10 yo girl haha. I already have one preteen girl at my house I'm dealing with at the moment. Perhaps you'll take your own suggestion and be done here.
    Brass, tin, lead, heck, sheet metal if you like. Seems your poll is now a tie. 10/10 . And yes I am a little 10 year old girl, and I’m running neck and neck with you. Does that tell you anything?

If you want to take your ball and go home (quit frequenting these boards) so be it. Won’t be any loss to me. But it may be a loss to the folks here that look to you for guidance. But far be it from me to chase you away.

I have the hardest time attempting to understand folks that won’t simply say “ we can communicate but we don’t agree on this subject “ . Not that you are right and I am wrong so we have to fight to the death.

So, do what you please. And have a great weekend.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    As someone who's made a career out of machining complex metal parts, I've always marveled at just how hard it would have been to make a 1911 in 1911.

I'm as big a 1911 fanboi as you'll find, and even today with all the CNC mills, EDMs and WEDMs I have at my disposal, I haven't made my own. Yet.

Might be a retirement project for me.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Brass, tin, lead, heck, sheet metal if you like. Seems your poll is now a tie. 10/10 . And yes I am a little 10 year old girl, and I’m running neck and neck with you. Does that tell you anything?

If you want to take your ball and go home (quit frequenting these boards) so be it. Won’t be any loss to me. But it may be a loss to the folks here that look to you for guidance. But far be it from me to chase you away.

I have the hardest time attempting to understand folks that won’t simply say “ we can communicate but we don’t agree on this subject “ . Not that you are right and I am wrong so we have to fight to the death.

So, do what you please. And have a great weekend.
    You seem to have a great difficulty attempting to understand lots of things lol.

I never said I was leaving, it's just that you're quite annoying. I thought this would be fun but alas, it's not.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    As someone who's made a career out of machining complex metal parts, I've always marveled at just how hard it would have been to make a 1911 in 1911.

I'm as big a 1911 fanboi as you'll find, and even today with all the CNC mills, EDMs and WEDMs I have at my disposal, I haven't made my own. Yet.

Might be a retirement project for me.
    For me, it's imagine a guy building/designing something that doesn't existent with a pencil and paper. Absolutely amazing.

I read an account of JMB getting the idea for the Auto-5 and voila, came up with the first semi auto shotgun ever with a completely new action that's just sooo cool.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    You seem to have a great difficulty attempting to understand lots of things lol.

I never said I was leaving, it's just that you're quite annoying. I thought this would be fun but alas, it's not.
    Well, that is my reason for existing, to annoy you. :faint:

And that’s the exact thing I would say if I posed a misleading situation to support my point of view.

Please look at your poll numbers, after all you posted it, surreptitiously at that. Again I ask, ”what was your intention ?” It may be that you are just plain mistaken, I don’t know. At this point I don’t care. Please feel free to put me on your ignore list, that way we will both be better off. Again have a good weekend.:ingo:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    JMB 2024

2b006f440115774342ef2d876fa46adf.gif

Top Bottom