• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

LuckyGunner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Loaded

+1 to iamaclone45 - That is a great video to use a reference. Rep added!

I always carry a round in the chamber. I carry a Model 19, CZ Rami, & LCP. Each has a round in the chamber. I keep the hammer down on the Rami, safety off, for a first round DA. It just takes too much time to rack the slide in a situation where you would need to draw. You can train to become quick, but even then you are adding another motion or two. Keep it simple.

For the children the best medicine is education. Second would be to make sure it's in a good holster. She may want to carry on her body when possible.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    i agree with OD* that if you carry without one in the chamber you might as well carry a rock ,
    it doesnt make any sense ,
    on the other hand i really hope to not use mine, the whole : rather have one and need it than need one and not have it
    i think in most cases simply exhibiting the sidearm with show whoever that you are not messing around, whether carrying openly or not

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Despite some of the speculative comments, if the weapon of choice was a revolver this question would be moot. DA revolvers have neither safeties nor loaded chamber indicaters. They are also less prone to ND during loading and unloading. These discussions always involve one in the chamber on a semi-auto. To me, the answer is the same. Without a round in the tube, it is an expensive club.

So in direct answer to the OP, if it's worth carrying, it needs to ready to fire, which means one in the chamber. That's how I voted.

Small children is a different, yet extremely important issue. Any firearm accessable by children needs to safe, locked up and/or out of their reach. The chances of a child getting ahold of an unsecured gun outweigh the chances of encountering an intruder or attacker. I habitually unloaded my duty weapon (albeit a revolver) when I arrived home and placed it on a high shelf. There have been some other good suggestions posted which I might make use of myself.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    always a round in the chamber. i remember a while back, i believe it was posted on this site, a video of a jewelry store being robbed by a gunman and the store owner tried to defend the place with his own gun, however he did not keep one in the chamber. in the video you can clearly see him rack the slide and actually fail to chamber a round, in the heat of the moment, SEVERAL times. well needless to say as sad as it is i believe he was killed. it was all very clear in the video. it was quite graphic (not bloody but he was shot numerous times and killed).
    i have always carried with one in the chamber but seeing that video cemented it forever. :twocents:

devildawg00311

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Se Indy/Wanamaker
    My wife is going to be carrying an LCP or P-3AT (may consider other options depending on feedback) in her CC purse.
    We are a little conflicted on weather or not to leave the chamber empty, have some small children .

Opinions?

Always carry one in the pipe. When the time comes to actually use it you must be ready. You cant tell the mugger or rapist or whatever hold on a minute, i got to chamber a round. Always be ready. If you're worried about little kids getting ahold of it then it should be where they arnt able to get ahold of it. Dont keep the gun in your purse and keep it sitting on the kitchen table, ya know. Just take precaution but most of all use some common sense.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Ruger GP100 and many others have adopted the DA/SA trigger system.

You'll have to excuse me, I'm a virgin firearms enthusiast. I've been reading far more than I should have, in a short period of time.

No worries man, I was there a couple years ago myself. I have been corrected many times here, and learned so much is such a little time. :ingo:

sherwoody_77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    One in the chamber

A good way for her to get use to carrying a gun is to have her first get use to it, and carry it without the mag or without one in the chamber, but with the mag in it until she gets confident to carry with one in the chamber. This helped my wife get use to carrying and helped her build confidence in what the handgun she carries.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    178   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I thank EVERYONE that voted & posted comments, your response has great. I was originally thinking we should keep one in the chamber but wanted the combined wisdom & experience of those on this site for insight on things we may not have thought of.

I think we have decided on a CC purse (lockable zipper) with an integrated holster, evaluate how she likes the small auto & consider going to a lightweight revolver. Would like the ability to not even have to pull it out of the purse but just grab it & start firing through the purse if necessary.

We have been educating our kids for some time & for the most part the "new" has worn off the firearms & they aren't as interesting as they once were. However, you can't undo an incident. We use education coupled with precautions & due dilligence.

We want to perpare for the worst & pray that we never feel the need.

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Neg ghostrider, on one chambered. Typically, I'd always say keep on chambered. However, in reference to the OP's question one chambered is certainly not the way to go. He specifically mentioned that he had kids, indicating that the his wife's purse isn't always in her control, as if it were, why would having children even be an issue?

Further, carrying in one's purse, is not carrying on one's person. The reason for carrying on one's person is to be able to engage quickly. Needless to say reaching into a purse and unholstering a weapon is hardly quick or efficient. If the OP's wife is ever in a situation where she needs a gun in nanoseconds, she's already "behind the eightball" in her ability to retrieve it quickly. That said, if she's in a situation where she may fear for her life (ie a situation where she isn't the intended target), retrieving a weapon from a purse and chambering a round is quite plausible.

dbeattie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    In my opinion you need to carry with one in the chamber. Time to put into action otherwise may be to long and require to much thought. Like others posted use a secure holster. Would be best carried on body. Educate the children. Practice and training with range time.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    Skipping to the end to reply to the poll in question.
    I carry a P3AT all day every day in a pocket holster, in my pocket, magazine full and one in the chamber. Carried it without the pocket holster the same way. I trust, and love my P3AT. I can't speak enough good on it. I can hit a 12"x12" target 3 out of 5 times at 50 yards with it. Neo was there, he will attest to it.

scottm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Hobart
    Purse carry needs to addressed that once a firearm is carried in a bag, that bag must be treated as the firearm (complete control and accountability) always have it with you, never leave it out of arms distance. Carrying in a low risk situation the bag will be over the shoulder, in a high risk ( nighttime, parking lot,etc ) the fire arm will be accessible, hand on grip in purse pocket dedicated to the firearm and NOTHING else,( i would still use a pocket holster to disrupt the outline of the weapon in the bag and to cover the trigger/trigger guard) and if there are children at home then the removal of the firearm and securing it at home are another issue, or place the purse in a spot only controlled by the responsible party. These are the rules i follow when i coat pocket carry as well.

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    whats the use if you have to rack the slide when you need it.........that split second could mean the difference between life and death. As far as the kids, thats just poor safety to leave the weapon in a purse where kids can get ahold of it

Trevlan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Franklin Township
    Ok, this if my final opinion. After purchasing my handgun, and carrying it around in the yard at night while walking the dog (Saw a few large Coyote eyeballing my pup.), here is what I would do.

A) Educate the children that this in not a toy, and explain to them what death is. I have 3 children, all within the age to scale any cabinet in the house and get their hands on the firearm.

B) One in the chamber is a must. For further saftey, you can obtain a gun with the DA/SA trigger. Mine has it and the firing pin, in DA mode will never fire the gun if dropped.

C) Purse holster is worthless if she's attacked or being robbed. She needs to carry it on her person, where it's easy to draw.

While the kids are in the house, I keep the gun in my ottoman next to my lazy boy while watching tv. If I'm going to bed, I bring the gun, in a holster, and slide it under my bed next on my side. As long as you are concious of your weapon, no mistakes will happen.

If someone breaks into your home, a gun locked up in a safe, tossed in a purse, or out of reach, is worthless.

Lock up all of your guns, except for the one you carry. You never know when someone will come into your home uninvited.

In regards to the Liveleak video, it's a damn shame. They clearly fired at him even before he drew his weapon. I wish his gun was ready to go and he was able to take atleast one of those bastards down. How many gunmen where there? 3? Some people have no respect. When the zombies come, I'll be ready.

Top Bottom