• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hkfiend

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    in the Ford Galaxy
    I've had two. The first one was a Custom II bought in 05 when they were doing the external extractor. I would have been better throwing it at someone rather then trying to get it to shoot. I've recently tried again with Kimber, buying a TLE/RL II and I haven't had a hiccup in just over 1000 rounds. I really think it had to do with the extractor, although I haven't heard much trouble from the Sig 1911's which use the external. Maybe it was just Kimber's design. Any rate, I think for the most part, they are pretty reliable but just like anything that's manufactured, there's always a possibility for a lemon.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    I have a noob question. As Ive said many times before, I know a lot about guns, but I still dont know 1%. Im 21 years old, so relatively young, and poor.... so with that I ask.

How do you feel about $1,000+ pistols? Im a big glock fan, have shot MANY pistols, owned/own several firearms, hunted since I was 5, but have never been able to bring myself to spend so much on one gun. Obviously there are plenty out there that are just if not more expensive.... but still. Do you think the price point is worth it? And, why would YOU spend that much on one.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I have a noob question. As Ive said many times before, I know a lot about guns, but I still dont know 1%. Im 21 years old, so relatively young, and poor.... so with that I ask.

How do you feel about $1,000+ pistols? Im a big glock fan, have shot MANY pistols, owned/own several firearms, hunted since I was 5, but have never been able to bring myself to spend so much on one gun. Obviously there are plenty out there that are just if not more expensive.... but still. Do you think the price point is worth it? And, why would YOU spend that much on one.

You probably will, sometime in the future... I'd venture to say that those with the more pricey guns are usually older and more settled, or have lots of money. My hubby and I are middle-aged, no kids at home, house paid for. Not much money, but good credit that we use occasionally if we can get low interest rates, or 0% interest if paid in time. We also have accumulated lots of stuff over the years, so sometimes we sell on eBay or Craigslist to justify our spending on new stuff. We work hard, and live pretty modestly. A couple of times my husband has traded 2 just ok guns for one special gun (plus some cash). I guess you just see something you feel is special, it looks good, feels good in your hand, and we're not gonna live forever. We'd rather have a few guns that are more "special" than 10 other guns. I owned a Glock 26 for awhile. I liked it, but the Springfield EMP 9mm I traded it for is much more fun to shoot. I guess you just want the one that puts a smile on your face. :)

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County

I can certainly say that I have more now than I did when I was young for sure. I went to buy my first pistol in my early 20s - fully intending to get a Ruger P85. I fell in love with and bought a Colt Double Eagle for probably 2x the money or more. It was a big stretch for me financially, and not one I repeated for a while.

I've recently gone through a cleansing of sorts too. I got about anything I wanted for a while. And really didn't use most of what I had. So, I decided what I could get rid of, and what I wanted to keep. And I have a short list of want to gets still. And I will in time.

All that said, I have Glocks. And I have Kimbers. Why? Because I wanted them, I can, and they are ones I decided I needed to keep.

picture.php

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I can certainly say that I have more now than I did when I was young for sure. I went to buy my first pistol in my early 20s - fully intending to get a Ruger P85. I fell in love with and bought a Colt Double Eagle for probably 2x the money or more. It was a big stretch for me financially, and not one I repeated for a while.

I've recently gone through a cleansing of sorts too. I got about anything I wanted for a while. And really didn't use most of what I had. So, I decided what I could get rid of, and what I wanted to keep. And I have a short list of want to gets still. And I will in time.

All that said, I have Glocks. And I have Kimbers. Why? Because I wanted them, I can, and they are ones I decided I needed to keep.

picture.php
    i think that pic made my heart skip a few beats! :wwub:

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    My Kimbers are pre Series II... and they've posed no issues at all in the 12 or so years I've had 'em....

the Pro CDP

ProCDP.jpg

and the Pro Carry SLE (2900 made)

kimsle.jpg

Dan Wesson makes a couple of nice ones in the Valor Bobtail

Valor%201911%20knife.jpg

...and the Classic Bobtail....

bobtail2.jpg

Sig is also making a nice selection of 1911's. I have some of them that are very nicely made guns, and they perform just as good as they look......

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    I researched and researched. After having a couple 1911's and knowing that that's what I truly wanted I decided I wanted a pre-series II Kimber. After shopping around for awhile I found one on here and I love it.

I'm 24, this is my 7th pistol. I've carried a bunch of different pieces, but the 1911 just fits so nice.

It also helps that my company now does all the marketing for em.

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    What was the issue between the internal and external extractors? Was it design or craftsmanship?

Neither design nor craftsmanship. It was blasphemy, sacrilege, anathema, and outrage. If John Moses Browning would have wanted the 1911 to have an external extractor, he would have designed it to have an external extractor. :ranton:

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    What was the issue between the internal and external extractors? Was it design or craftsmanship?

I think it almost had to be design. Sig and S&W use external extractors, with no problems. External extractors don't seem to require as much tuning, and are more forgiving of rough treatment.

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    They are excellent, high quality firearms, just a bit salty price wise. :yesway:

Sadly this is what you'll have to pay to own something that is American made.
    You're paying for someone else to make a nice living also.

Just shows what the American worker can do quality wise, when you're paid a wage that you can live off of, and a company that expects quality of their product.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I had a Kimber Ultra Carry II in stainless. It was one of the finest pistols I ever had. It shot all types of ammo to the same spot at 15 yds so I could practice with the cheap stuff and know I would be hitting the same spot with the "man stoppers." It had a beautiful trigger pull. I traded it because I could never get comfortable with the cocked-and-locked carry.

jdg0724

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Plainfield
    I had a Kimber Ultra Carry II that I used for concealed carry. It was my favorite gun. I carried it for about 4 years. I broke the gun in as I was supposed to and didnt have any problems wih it. When I purchased the gun, I ran a box of Speer Gold Dots in it to make sure it functioned 100%. At the time it did. I fired maybe a thousand more rounds through it without a problem. The last time I went to the range, I decided to shoot Gold Dots out of it again. Im glad I went to the range, and did not need it in a SD situation. I had 3 FTE in 100 rounds. Call me crazy, but this made me lose all faith in this weapon. I went straight to the gun store and traded it in. I honestly do not believe that I limp writsted it or anything of that nature, but who knows. All i know is that If I was put in a situation where I had to use that weapon, I may have had a problem. ive never had any issues out of my Springfield 1911, my Glocks, or my XD's. When I pay a lot of money for a firearm, I expect it to function 100% after break in.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I had a Kimber Ultra Carry II that I used for concealed carry. It was my favorite gun. I carried it for about 4 years. I broke the gun in as I was supposed to and didnt have any problems wih it. When I purchased the gun, I ran a box of Speer Gold Dots in it to make sure it functioned 100%. At the time it did. I fired maybe a thousand more rounds through it without a problem. The last time I went to the range, I decided to shoot Gold Dots out of it again. Im glad I went to the range, and did not need it in a SD situation. I had 3 FTE in 100 rounds. Call me crazy, but this made me lose all faith in this weapon. I went straight to the gun store and traded it in. I honestly do not believe that I limp writsted it or anything of that nature, but who knows. All i know is that If I was put in a situation where I had to use that weapon, I may have had a problem. ive never had any issues out of my Springfield 1911, my Glocks, or my XD's. When I pay a lot of money for a firearm, I expect it to function 100% after break in.

Change the recoil slide spring? I would every thousand rounds to keep in tip top shape

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County

It's a moot point now that you don't have the gun anymore, but Kimber recommends replacement of the recoil springs every 1800 rounds. Were you close to that round count? Did you happen to try different mags before condemning the gun? Not saying you were wrong for trading it, just curious since I have a couple of Ultra Carrys.

Top Bottom