• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LarryHoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Raptor

I've owned a Kimber Raptor in 45 acp since 2006. It is the finest pistol that I posess and my favorite to shoot, as well as most accurate. I carry a Ruger LCR however because of the weight factor. The Kimber comes out on top of my 9mm Luger, Glock 17, S&P comp 9mm, Asta 600, Nagant revolver, Romanian Tok, Rhino .357 mag., and Ruger LCR. It is the best for several reasons. First and foremost it is a 1911 through and through, secondly fit and finish is tops, and lastly the trigger is superb! :rockwoot:

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I have:

9mm: Custom Aegis

.40: Pro Carry II, Stainless Classic Target

.45: Clackamas (x2), Pro Carry, Custom Eclipse II, Pro Eclipse II, Pro Tactical II, Pro BP Ten II, Team Match II

And I love them all. And I am looking for a 10mm Eclipse and a 38 super Team Match.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I've got an old LTP II and I just picked up a Stainless II.

I went through about every make and model out there over the years, and so far the stainless II is one of the few 1911 models out there that I like.

S&W makes quite a few nice ones, but I don't see them around much.
    I've never liked any springfield or colt I've messed with. The springers all felt chunky and heavy, with the colts all feeling roughly machined.

I'm sure I'd like some of the upper end stuff out there, but for the money I'd be scared of shooting them or carrying them, which would defeat the point.

And in my experience, when it comes to keeping a 1911 running, you either need some super duper quality 8 round mags, or to stick with 7 round mags, and keep a close eye on both the magazine springs and the recoil spring. Also, extractor tuning seems to come into play quite often. These guns aren't for the weak hearted who expect to pick a gun up from a store, load it up, and slap it in a holster. Almost all of them will take some tweaking.

Last edited:

jdg0724

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Plainfield
    Change the recoil slide spring? I would every thousand rounds to keep in tip top shape
    I was probably close to time to replace the recoil slide spring looking back at it now. I sometimes question if I made the right decision, but it just really freaked me out at the time.

jdg0724

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Plainfield
    It's a moot point now that you don't have the gun anymore, but Kimber recommends replacement of the recoil springs every 1800 rounds. Were you close to that round count? Did you happen to try different mags before condemning the gun? Not saying you were wrong for trading it, just curious since I have a couple of Ultra Carrys.
    I was probably between 1000-1500 rounds through the pistol. I did try different mags as well. I had the issues with the Wilson mags as well as the Kimber mags that came with the pistol. I have questioned my decision after the fact. I traded it right after my range trip. It was a beautiful gun. I just wasnt convinced i could trust it anymore. It was the Stainless Ultra Carry II with night sights and I had a Crimson Trace lasergrip on it as well. I think I got about $750 trade for it. I had a lot more than that invested in it. One day I may buy another one.

Gpfury86

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Love mine also.... Carry it regularly and don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon.

kimber.jpg

I have had some issues with some kimbers with external extractors,both were full size, but in both my experiences they replaced the slide for free and sent me the firearms back (took about a month)...... and both worked flawlessly with the internal extractors.

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    I have a 5" Custom II ($680) and a 3" Ultra Carry II SS ($710) , I plan on getting a 4" next , for the money "I believe" they are the best value out there in 1911

Large.jpg

CutomII1911shells.jpg

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011

xdmstu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Lower NE Indy
    How about the Solo? Anyone here have one?

I know they had to battle some initial poor PR regarding unreliably handling standard target ammo. Kimber spins it as a quality and tight-tolerance issue; recommending only premium grade.

However, I have seen some reports the Solo will run fine on standard, brand name 115gr ammo.

Being a lefty, a ambi-safety is a must.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have a compact stainless II and an Ultra Carry II and have had good luck with them both. My Compact shares daily carry status with my CZ75. I cannot remember a failure with either once I ditched the factory mags.

Top Bottom