• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Here will be the make it or break it for Kimber. Smith J frames and Ruger LCR are entrenched in the industry and proven designs with a $400 street price. Can Kimber compete with the Pro Series guns?

I think you nailed it here. Is this going to offer enough extra to be worth the price/brand switch? There will be some Kimber guys who will buy it, and some others because it's new, but in the long run I don't see it beating a 642 or LCR at half the price or the Pro Series stuff. I could be way off, but people who buy a snubby are buying it to carry rather than collect. Some people buy a Kimber 1911 to collect or to show off, but not so much with a snubby.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Old thread but I handled one of these at a shop up in MI last week. I was skeptical after seeing pics but in person it's not bad, feels pretty good and I like the rear sight.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    msrp is 900 bucks! I think for that price, id rather have a 2.5 in 686!

MSRP on the Kimber is only about $50-$75 more then a Smith 640 Pro. Let the newness wear off a bit. I handled one at the NRA show and was impressed. Only hiccup would be the lack of aftermarket support.

twfshelton

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    The woods of green
    I look forward to owning one. weights a little less than the 640 pro, carries 1 more round. For someone that has to wear dress pants for work, it will be the perfect pocket pistol. I have the usual suspects keltec, kahr, 340pd, 642, but always go back to a J frame for work pocket carry. I would potentially carry this when off work as well. I don't think original Colt Python owners thought the Colt had historical value when they first came out.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Not sure what you mean, looks fine to me.

I did not see this before so i will explain now, but let me say i am not a machinist or engineer.

From the pictures it appears that when they cut the dovetail for the rear sight it leaves a thin strip of material under it. (Between rear sight and side plate). The dovetail itself looks to place 2 stress raisers close to this thin spot, which would tend to focus the stress on a thin spot.(There will be a lot of stress when a couple of magnums are touched off). If you look at a S&W 640 pro there is more material under the dovetail. just my opinion.

Top Bottom