• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sshelton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    ECI / New Castle
    i want to build my first and plan on making it as simple as possible. however i cant seem to find the "line" between the two...

how do you feel about Keep It Simple Stupid vs. Tacticool?

opinions and comments PLEASE and thank you :ingo:

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    KISS in my opinion for an AR15 that I may use for defense includes

white light

AimPoint

sling

The mission drives the gear train.

If all your AR does is sit in the corner and sees only 500 rounds in a year not an afternoon, then maybe KISS for you means iron sights only.

If your AR rides duty with you everyday, then the white light, AimPoint and sling would be the bare minimum or KISS.

Tacticool in my opinion includes every piece of cheap gun show garbage that you could imagine hanging from a cheap rifle.

:twocents:

finnegan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Clark County
    It really depends on the function of the firearm. I, for example, have a bad right elbow that limits my range of motion. Without a collapsible stock I'd not be able to shoulder it. If you want to set it up for home defense, some illumination would be a good idea to be effective in a power outage/ nighttime. Just remember every thing you put on the rifle is one more thing to worry about on it.

Do you need an Eotech sight, Magpul UBR stock, free-floating rails, etc? In my opinion no. If you have the cash to burn or use the rifle in your profession, go for it. Just ask yourself how many thousands of dollars are you willing to spend on punching holes in paper or to make an empty milk jug hop around a little.

sshelton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    ECI / New Castle
    i may have overused the term tacticool then i was refering to weapon mounted light, an afg or vfg rails everywhere over nessicary optics. i geuss i was trying to figure out what it boils down to, whats most important.

i should have said that this is a shtf/range gun will probally sit in the corner and recive 200 rounds or more every month or so

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    yeah but i mean, whats your opinion on either? obviously kiss is cheaper, but is it more effective?

Sure it is cheaper but how could it be more effective?

It's been proven that a red dot sight is faster on target than iron sights.

In the dark how are you going to ID a target or see your irons without a light?

A sling is the equal to a holster for a handgun...do you stick your handgun in your waistband?

Is your AR a TOOL or a TOY?

... if all your AR does is go to the range and back into the safe, you can do without lights, optics, and slings.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    i should have said that this is a shtf/range gun will probally sit in the corner and recive 200 rounds or more every month or so

My idea of the perfect SHTF/Range gun. To keep it cheaper, keep the stock furniture on it. I like the BAD so one goes on all mine, you can do without.

But you get the idea......you can do with out the "extra stuff" such as a VFG, bipod, ect. but a light, optic, and a sling IMHO are must haves.

P1150081.jpg

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    In my situation I have just built my KISS AR-15. I like the compact M4 types, but I love the longer sight radious of the 20" rifles, so I build a dissipator and got the best of both worlds. I put a better charging handle on it, magpul MOE furniture and I've recently put a XD night sight front sight post on it. So basically I've changed the rifle a lot, but really haven't changed it's size or weight by much. I've just made it personalized to fit me better. I may end up putting a flashlight on the side of it and have it setup as my go-to gun in the middle of the night. To me, that's keeping it pretty simple.

I draw the line in the sand between KISS and tacticool right where you've got so much BS on the end of the rifle that it's actually a hinderance to shoot a target or the accessories could get you hung up and snap on tall grass or anything else.

sshelton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    ECI / New Castle
    yeah that makes alot of since. thanks so much guys.. use what i need and what works and nothing else!!

off topic but can u school me on the BAD lever?.... its battery assisted device right?

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    off topic but can u school me on the BAD lever?.... its battery assisted device right?

Correct.

It makes one handed manipulation of your rifle much easier for clearance malfunctions. Your right hand doesn't have to leave control of the grip while your left hand works the charging handle. You can lock the bolt back or release it with your right hand index finger.

Some like it, some don't. Some rifles have problems functioning correctly with them, most do not. It is an easy part to try, if you don't like it or it doesn't work for you, it can easily be sold for a few bucks cheaper than new to others.

Run the rifle stock for a while, then add one piece at a time to see what works for you and what doesn't. Avoid buying the "cheap stuff", buy once, cry once. Stick with proven name brands.

sshelton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    ECI / New Castle
    Run the rifle stock for a while, then add one piece at a time to see what works for you and what doesn't. Avoid buying the "cheap stuff", buy once, cry once. Stick with proven name brands.

i def. live by that! no point in buying 5 times and spend the same amount u would have spent on a good quality part!

and thanks for the bad lever info!

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    What ever you build make it familiar to you. Repetition, training, repetition.
    I've taken my Colt back to stock form.
    I had the red dot and it lines up fast but I also lost a large window of vision with it. I like situational awareness so I'm back to iron sights.
    My weapon is fast, functional, and simple.

sshelton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    ECI / New Castle
    nvr thought of the larger sight picture with iron sights. you could be engaging a target with your red dot and never see the other target 15 ft. to his left or right.... hmm

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I went to a KISS style setup on my AR that I have now. I used to have a rail and VFG and realized they are pretty much worthless for me. They add weight and not necessary for me at all. I dropped a ton of weight switching to a lightweight profile barrel as well. Also, I have a MOE handguard with a small light rail section for a light. I figure a light is a good thing to have for a defense rifle as you may need it in a dark house. Finally, your opinion may differ but mine was that a BAD lever was a pain in the rear as I couldn't get used to it being there. I prefer a stock setup on the release but again your opinion could easily be the other way.

Top Bottom