• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    I include myself as one of a few who at 20 years ago help start the move to use straight walled cartridges when we still had the meetings at the State House. Due to politics at the time, this proposal was put on the back burner [turned off], and only because Kyle Hupfer became the head of the DNR and had the balls to bring it to the attention of the Governor did it ever see the light of day again. When the regulations were being put down on paper, I for one, had no qualms about accepting the current limitations, and wonder how many years you have worked on the PCR rules for legalization as we have it now. Can you beat my 20 years? You have the right to write letters, make phone calls, create petitions, or whatever means you deem appropriate to achieve your objective. I will respectively decline the opportunity to join in, as I learned a long time ago to not "look a gift horse in the mouth"!

Last edited:

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I agree that 10mm should be legal. I'm not confident enough in the possibility of success to take up the cause. Though I won't degrade your enthusiasm as others have.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    That's the problem, there are pet or wildcat cartridges out there that should be able to be used.

Folks in other states are using the 10mm successfully on whitetail and hogs. The IDNR is responsive to the hunting public, as it should be. Since we do have a representative goverment, people "crying wanting their pet cartridge" and letting the government know about it is perfectly appropriate.

Please don't misunderstand what I am saying. I'm just stating that the DNR has no interest in specifically listing cartridges that fall outside of the realm of parameters set forth for PCR's. The only way to get additional cartridges legalized for deer would be to lower the minimum case length or raise the maximum case length -- both of which would also allow undesireable cartridges into the mix. Wildcats that meet the current requirements are legal.

243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I think adding the 10mm would wound much more game. I don't think power is as much of a concern as is accuracy. There would be too many people with semi-auto pistols and no hunting experience unloading a magazine because they can. To me it doesn't make sense since there are so many other proven calibers in use.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I think adding the 10mm would wound much more game. I don't think power is as much of a concern as is accuracy. There would be too many people with semi-auto pistols and no hunting experience unloading a magazine because they can. To me it doesn't make sense since there are so many other proven calibers in use.

... a theory you could apply to any caliber ever made, Wild-cats included.

Are you recommending they adapt a law for single-shots only?

243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    ... a theory you could apply to any caliber ever made, Wild-cats included.

Are you recommending they adapt a law for single-shots only?

No, only that the 10mm autos may not be accurate enough for a one shot clean kill. There are guns and cartridges capable now of spraying bullets, in fact I use a 12 gauge 11-87 for my deer gun. But I know my 11-87 is generally more accurate than a semi-auto pistol at 50 yards. I would bet that there are many more models of 12 gauge shotguns that are more suited to deer hunting, accuracy wise, than pistols and rifles in 10mm.

243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I'd like to know a little bit more about some one who is asking me to join forces with them for their own benefit. I checked your post record and don't see a single post about hunting or what you hunt or have hunted and you've been on the forum for several months. All I saw in your post record concerning hunting was a few pleas to people to help you get 10MM approved for hunting and a post saying the gun you own is a Glock 10MM.

So how did your hunting season go this year? What have you killed and what all do you hunt? What are you hunting with now? Have you got any good tips for hunters since you must be a pretty competent hunter if you know better than the DNR and need to step in to rewrite the hunting regulations.

Is there any particular reason the 10mm should be singled out and specificly named as a specific cartridge legal for hunting? Other than just because you happen to own one of course.

I would also like to know this. Also how many wounded deer have you lost to the weaker 357?

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Please don't misunderstand what I am saying. I'm just stating that the DNR has no interest in specifically listing cartridges that fall outside of the realm of parameters set forth for PCR's. The only way to get additional cartridges legalized for deer would be to lower the minimum case length or raise the maximum case length -- both of which would also allow undesireable cartridges into the mix. Wildcats that meet the current requirements are legal.

If the DNR was already interested in listing specific cartridges then there wouldn't be a need to start a thread asking people to rally. The OP is trying to apply the necessary pressure to make them interested. The cartridge restrictions in Indiana are ridiculous overall. 10mm is one of many calibers that should be legal.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    No, only that the 10mm autos may not be accurate enough for a one shot clean kill. There are guns and cartridges capable now of spraying bullets, in fact I use a 12 gauge 11-87 for my deer gun. But I know my 11-87 is generally more accurate than a semi-auto pistol at 50 yards. I would bet that there are many more models of 12 gauge shotguns that are more suited to deer hunting, accuracy wise, than pistols and rifles in 10mm.

I'm not picking a fight. Please let me explain further. If my Ithaca 37, my wifes Glock 20, and your 11-87 can shoot inside 4 inches at 60 yards, then if you can keep both eyes open long enough to shoot the deer in the lungs, the deer dies.

I bet there is a bunch of guys that will out shoot you (and me) at 50 yards, you with an 11-87, them with a G20.

Anything past that is operator error, and we're not discussing that here. The 10mm has enough snot to kill a whitetail. Period. I don't want to jack the OP on skill.

Merry Christmas

Last edited:

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    If the DNR was already interested in listing specific cartridges then there wouldn't be a need to start a thread asking people to rally. The OP is trying to apply the necessary pressure to make them interested. The cartridge restrictions in Indiana are ridiculous overall. 10mm is one of many calibers that should be legal.

Well, it took decades to get legalized what we currently have, so perhaps in a few decades the 10MM will be legalized if everyone starts rallying right now. :)

Cain71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Columbus
    Well just some input, I have lost 2 deer in my life,1 of which was shoot by a 357 and the other was shot with a 12 gauge,870 with a remington slug. It boils down to shot placement,not caliber,you can kill a deer with a 22.
    I hope you can work towards your goal of using a 10mm. but the size of your gun does not kill the deer,Its skill and experience.

Cornbread

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I'm not picking a fight. Please let me explain further. If my Ithaca 37, my wifes Glock 20, and your 11-87 can shoot inside 4 inches at 60 yards, then if you can keep both eyes open long enough to shoot the deer in the lungs, the deer dies.

I bet there is a bunch of guys that will out shoot you (and me) at 50 yards, you with an 11-87, them with a G20.

Anything past that is operator error, and we're not discussing that here. The 10mm has enough snot to kill a whitetail. Period. I don't want to jack the OP on skill.

Merry Christmas
    This statment may be true for you and some others. However there are just to many that people that have 10mm that would see this as a way to just unload them on a live target. Even if they have never hunted anythig before. Just remember that most don't have the control or skill you have. I would not want to be in the same woods with some owners I have seen. JMP

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    This statment may be true for you and some others. However there are just to many that people that have 10mm that would see this as a way to just unload them on a live target. Even if they have never hunted anythig before. Just remember that most don't have the control or skill you have. I would not want to be in the same woods with some owners I have seen. JMP

And again, trying not to thread jack, you're discussing operator skill levels to be allowed to hunt. Ever done Red Stag in Scotland? There, you must prove your accuracy to the state before a tag is issued, more state control, bad Ju-Ju.

This discussion is about legal calibers, and the subject of operator accuracy is not part of the equation. It is not against the law to miss.

For the record, I am neither for or against it, as I bow hunt in Indiana, rifle hunt in about 3-5 others depending on the year, I have no dog in this fight.

Merry Christmas

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Hell, let em use 10mm for all I care. Either they will be effective at killing deer or they won't. If they're not then they will have less deer in the area due to loss by injury and learn themselves a lesson;). They would either get tired of injuring deer or their neighbor hunters would most likely give them a few words of advice.

Why do some people think the .gov needs to make a law regulating this when people can handle these things themselves?

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    thay wont let the 10mm in its to small you should try thr 30cal and bigger that mite have a better change. and if you try count me in

This is a big part of the problem with the public in general and pandering law makers interfering with the DNR and people who actually hunt. They don't know if a 10MM is bigger or smaller than 30 cal or even what is legal now but by golly they know what the rules should be.

HK45Mark23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Newburgh
    thay wont let the 10mm in its to small you should try thr 30cal and bigger that mite have a better change. and if you try count me in

It is not too small; it has a larger diameter than the 357 and a nearly identical case capacity.

Case pressure is slightly higher for the 10 mm @ 37,000 psi and a maximum pressure of 44,000 psi and the 357 magnum @ 35,000 psi and a maximum pressure of 40,000 psi.

The average bullet weights are higher with the 10mm. By the way 10mm = 40 cal.

IronHorseman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Fort Branch

I agree a Glock 20 is not a hunting handgun it`s a combat handgun although the aftermarket does make extrat long hunting barrels for them.

Top Bottom