• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IronHorseman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Fort Branch
    It's about like saying walking to the fridge for a brew during comercial should qualify a person to plot out the future for the Appalachian trail.

ROFL...................

I`m an avid target shooter that has just returned to hunting. I`ve heard it said that gun owners come in 3 categories

Shooters ( like myself)

Hunters

Collectors

And that generally Shooters don`t hunt, hunters don`t shoot except to sight in before hunting season ( sadly I no some that don`t) and collectors typicall don`t hunt or shoot.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    The more I study on this the more I don`t like the idea. There are few 10mm firearms suited for hunting except the Thompson Contender anan Enfield based carbine that are is not imported to the U.S. and a few Ruger single asctions . The Glock 20 is porrly suited for hunting I don`t care what the Nuge says. Why get a cartridge legalized when there are no suitable hunting weapons?

I suppose that is true simply because you say it it? I suppose you have done sufficient accuracy tests on a scoped G20 with a six inch barrel to come to that conclusion. If not, your statement is pure conjecture and shows a silly bias and a willingness to come to a conclusion without knowing anything about it.

And let`s not forget that the FBI scrapped the 10mm because it was so hard to get agents qualified with it.

There were several reasons the FBI phased out 10mm and none of them had to do with the inherent accuracy of the guns. It would surprise men if they would have any more luck with a .44 magnum revolver as a service weapon and yet that is an Indiana legal pistol caliber and universally accepted hunting caliber.

I don`t want to be in the woods hunting with an inner city cowboy packing a Glock 20 spraying lead.

I see this all the time. With some there is an immediate association to irresponsible novice hunters spraying down an area in hopes of hitting something when someone brings up the ideas of semi-auto pistol hunting. As if the legalization of 10mm would bring droves of thugs with their hoodies and sagging pants out into the woods to endanger the wildlife. As if there aren't already hunters in the woods that lack sufficient judgement in spite of the current hunting laws that make us all safer.:rolleyes: If a hunter is irresponsible he will be so with whatever gun he is using. If He is responsible he will be so with what ever gun he is using even if it i a G20 or Delta Elite.

For the record I carry my Glock 22 concealed when hunting but I don`t hunt with it. Before the laws was changed to allow CCW while hunting I asked a game warden what I needed to do to carry it while hunting and he pointed out that I could hunt with it ( squirrels), I have been hunting coyotes with an AR-15 but I only put 5 rounds in a 30 round mag. If after 5 shats there are not dead coyote(s) on the ground I need to get my butt over to the gun club and sharpen my shooting skills.

:rolleyes:

How many people that own Glock 20`s, Bren Ten`s, Colt Delta Elites etc are willing to spend enough time hehind the trigger to get good enough to hunt with one? Remember the FBI had trouble geeting agents qualified.
    The 10mm Firearms Page

The answer is every responsible hunter who would choose their G20, Bren Ten or Delta Elite as a hunting weapon. It isn't the weapon choice that makes a hunter responsible. I personally like the idea of hunting with a semi-auto pistol but I'm not willing to spend the money on a Desert Eagle so I stick with the shotgun. I guess I'll have to hope for a change in the law so that I can "spray lead.":shoot::rolleyes:

Last edited:

IronHorseman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Fort Branch

I guess I`ve just met more tham my share of irresponsibale hunters. Like the guy that came into the gun club and wanted the gunsmith to nount a scope on his 870 and bore site. When the gunsmith told him it would be about the week to get it done the guy complained " But deer season opens tomorrow". This happened at about 5:00 in the evening this guy was clearing going to hunt with a gun that he had not practiced with. I`m not naive enough to believe that all hunters are responsible.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I guess I`ve just met more tham my share of irresponsibale hunters. Like the guy that came into the gun club and wanted the gunsmith to nount a scope on his 870 and bore site. When the gunsmith told him it would be about the week to get it done the guy complained " But deer season opens tomorrow". This happened at about 5:00 in the evening this guy was clearing going to hunt with a gun that he had not practiced with. I`m not naive enough to believe that all hunters are responsible.

I have met lots of irresponsible hunters. But blaming the gun for the lack of responsibility of the hunter is disingenuous and like blaming the gun for violence. As I said before, the 10mm is as capable if not more, of a cartridge as several others that ARE legal. I practice almost daily with my G20 and at bowhunting distances I can keep the rounds on target well within the kill zone for a deer. I also know what a good killing shot is and when not to take the shot. Next year I'll be hunting with my new .458 after spending most of the year getting familiar with it. I rarely have to track a deer more than a few hundred feet and usually they are dead when I get to them. By your logic, I should not be allowed to hunt because 90% of the people out in the woods aren't as diligent as I am.

IronHorseman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Fort Branch
    I have met lots of irresponsible hunters. But blaming the gun for the lack of responsibility of the hunter is disingenuous and like blaming the gun for violence. As I said before, the 10mm is as capable if not more, of a cartridge as several others that ARE legal. I practice almost daily with my G20 and at bowhunting distances I can keep the rounds on target well within the kill zone for a deer. I also know what a good killing shot is and when not to take the shot. Next year I'll be hunting with my new .458 after spending most of the year getting familiar with it. I rarely have to track a deer more than a few hundred feet and usually they are dead when I get to them. By your logic, I should not be allowed to hunt because 90% of the people out in the woods aren't as diligent as I am.

Why give more options to irresponsible hunters>

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Why give more options to irresponsible hunters>

Because it would also be giving more options to responsible hunters. You're missing the point that the caliber or firearm used doesn't have an effect on whether or not a particular hunter is responsible. Irresponsible hunters are going to be out in the field regardless. Are you saying you are more comfortable knowing that they are only armed with 12 gage slugs and certain center fire calibers?:n00b:

HK45Mark23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Newburgh
    All of my points have already been made by other posters as to opposing Ironhorse’s views.

However I am disappointed by your (Ironhourse) thought process and rationalization.

I find not one valid point in any of your post.

I am sure that a 10mm is more accurate and more powerful than a bow and arrow. Yet you slander the good 10mm community’s name.

The FBI consists of Doctors, Lawyers and Accountant types. The FBI agents of small stature and women found it hard to shoot the S&W 1006 and Bren Ten.

On the other hand the Glock 20 is much more shootable. Even my 110lb girlfriend who is 5’ tall can shoot it accurately and constantly as well as with great stamina.

IronHorseman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Fort Branch
    All of my points have already been made by other posters as to opposing Ironhorse’s views.

However I am disappointed by your (Ironhourse) thought process and rationalization.

I find not one valid point in any of your post.

I am sure that a 10mm is more accurate and more powerful than a bow and arrow. Yet you slander the good 10mm community’s name.

The FBI consists of Doctors, Lawyers and Accountant types. The FBI agents of small stature and women found it hard to shoot the S&W 1006 and Bren Ten.

On the other hand the Glock 20 is much more shootable. Even my 110lb girlfriend who is 5’ tall can shoot it accurately and constantly as well as with great stamina.

We are just going to have agree to disagree. I have not slandered the 10mm community. The 10 is excellent for the purpose for which it was designed so are the guns chambered for it.
    Would you use a 1911 race gun as a carry piece? Or a bench rest gun for squirrel hunting? Of coures not the.
    Gaston Glock designed a combat pistol not a hunting pistol, the marketing department can`t change that.

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    We are just going to have agree to disagree. I have not slandered the 10mm community. The 10 is excellent for the purpose for which it was designed so are the guns chambered for it.
    Would you use a 1911 race gun as a carry piece? Or a bench rest gun for squirrel hunting? Of coures not the.
    Gaston Glock designed a combat pistol not a hunting pistol, the marketing department can`t change that.

Just what is a "hunting" pistol? Just curious, do you happen to be one of those folks who think it's ok to ban certain weapons because they aren't "hunting" weapons?

Gaston Glock designed a combat pistol. The 10mm was designed to be a powerful manstopper. That very quality also makes it a potent hunting round. Lots of folks in other states demonstrate this. The G20 happens to be chambered in 10mm as is a host of other guns, including some revolvers. The bullet doesn't really care what gun it comes out of. What affects it is the length of the barrel and the powder.

Now you are arguing that a Glock shouldn't be used for hunting. You can't claim that it's because of accuracy as the Glock is one of the more accurate stock semiautos out there and there are many folks here who can demonstrate that. Are you arguing that it's because of the way it looks? Your logic trains to support your position are all over the place and aren't very cohesive.

IronHorseman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Fort Branch
    Just what is a "hunting" pistol? Just curious, do you happen to be one of those folks who think it's ok to ban certain weapons because they aren't "hunting" weapons?

Gaston Glock designed a combat pistol. The 10mm was designed to be a powerful manstopper. That very quality also makes it a potent hunting round. Lots of folks in other states demonstrate this. The G20 happens to be chambered in 10mm as is a host of other guns, including some revolvers. The bullet doesn't really care what gun it comes out of. What affects it is the length of the barrel and the powder.

Now you are arguing that a Glock shouldn't be used for hunting. You can't claim that it's because of accuracy as the Glock is one of the more accurate stock semiautos out there and there are many folks here who can demonstrate that. Are you arguing that it's because of the way it looks? Your logic trains to support your position are all over the place and aren't very cohesive.

I`m a Glock man you don`t need to educate me about Glocks.
    You can count on 2 hand the number of guns chambered in 10mm and only 3 of them are suited for hunting as I have already pointed out.
    I hunt with an AR-15 that will soon be reconfigured to make it more useful as a hunting weapon. No it`s not ok to ban any gun.Now if you will excuse me I`m headed for the gun club, I`ll toss out this 10mm idea while I`m there, While I`m gone check out Chuck Hawks handgun hunting

Handgun Hunting

IDCC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Orange County
    THIS is how the Anti's get us. Gun owners attacking each other because they are biased against the type of firearms the other one uses or owns. Remember what Jim Zumbo did?
    If "Glock 20" had been substitued by say "S&W 610" would there have been such a hissy fit? I bet some folks went ballistic when they found out AR's in 458 SOCOM are deer legal. I was beginning to think this was a thread at the "Brady" forum.

Stay unted against the common enemy. Dont let them "Divide and Conquer" us.:patriot: :ingo:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Boy, there sure a lot of Fudd's in the hunting community. I'd sure rather be in the same woods with a guy who's using a contender in 300 win mag than a guy with a 10mm. NOT!

Most of our hunting regs are drawn up by people who think they know what is sporting and what isn't. Some diehard bow hunters think using any type of firearm is non sporting. If you compare the ballistics of 12 sabot slugs, 458 socom and 45/70, they are almost identical but yet you can't use 45/70 because some elitist douche bag thinks it isn't sporting.

One could just as easily argue that punching holes in paper on private land is just as dangerous as deer hunting. So should the antis use your argument and ban all high powered shooting on private land? Or should we have the state come out and inspect our backstops to determine if we can shoot high powered rifles to poke paper?

Those of you who don't like 10mm or pistol caliber rifles for hunting are entitled to your opinions. You are not entitled to limit the rights of others based on your opinions.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    223 I use it for coyotes

We shouldn't have idiot hunters out there blasting away coyotes with semi auto assault rifles. You probably even do it with your bayonet on too.
    My above sentences are purely sarcastic, hence the Paco Purple.

Now explain to me how the above is any different than the generalizations you make about urban cowboys with Glock 20's blasting away at deer? I guess like most people, we're the only ones smart enough to do whatever. Everybody else is just a bunch of idiots.

IronHorseman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Fort Branch
    We shouldn't have idiot hunters out there blasting away coyotes with semi auto assault rifles. You probably even do it with your bayonet on too.
    My above sentences are purely sarcastic, hence the Paco Purple.

Now explain to me how the above is any different than the generalizations you make about urban cowboys with Glock 20's blasting away at deer? I guess like most people, we're the only ones smart enough to do whatever. Everybody else is just a bunch of idiots.

The AR is a very versatile weapon than can be configured for many applications unlike my Glock.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    The AR is a very versatile weapon than can be configured for many applications unlike my Glock.

And just how do I know that you have any more ability with an AR or are safer than a guy with a Glock 20? Because you say so on an internet forum? I don't know you from any other "urban cowboy". Just like the antis use stereotypes to limit our rights, you are using stereotypes to limit the rights of hunters. There isn't a nickles worth of difference in your opinion than the Brady Bunches.

I had a Desert Eagle 44 that I didn't use to hunt with. I didn't trust my ability to safely kill a deer with it. That's me and my decision. I have no right to tell another what he can and can't use to kill a deer with. If you believe differently, than you are justifying the position of the Antis. Just like them, you know better what to use than us lowly serfs.

Top Bottom