• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IronHorseman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Fort Branch
    And the above is the same argument that anti gunners make about any gun we want to own. When it comes to our rights, I will always err on the side of freedom, not restriction. The reason why I say 10mm should be allowed in the books is because it currently fits within the parameters of other calibers used with the exception of case length.

I guess the Desert Eagle hunter's 7 rounds won't mean much when they lodge that first bullet in their skull due to loss of control. Do you know that there are no capacity limits on Hunting with PCR AR's? You can fit 10 rounds of 458 SOCOM in a 30 round mag. Are you saying they should be limited as well? I've been hunting with more than one person using a shotgun that unloaded their gun on one deer and never get a hit. I guess we should all have single shots to prevent madmen from unloading them and killing everyone for miles around.

This is not a rights issue it`s about using the right tool for the job. Like I`ve already asked would you use a 1911 race gun as a carry piece? Or a benchrest riflr to hunt squirrels?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    This is not a rights issue it`s about using the right tool for the job. Like I`ve already asked would you use a 1911 race gun as a carry piece? Or a benchrest riflr to hunt squirrels?

My point is that the 10mm makes as much if not more logical sense than some of the other approved equipment to take deer with. Why should I have to hit a 100 yard target with a 10mm when a bow is an approved method of taking deer? By your standards, bows are ill equipped to take deer with. How many people can hit a 100 yard target with a 4" 357 even with a scope on it? Your argument against 10mm is purely emotional.

Nice reference to Rambos. Are you any relation to Zumbo?

IronHorseman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Fort Branch
    Maybe he can explain it to you.

Good luck with the 'yotes

Thanks, I bought him a new caller for Christmas and we haven`t had a chance to try it out yet. The ground id frozen solid and we are expecting snow if the wind is out of the north it should be good hunting conditions.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    We`re not discussing bow hunting. We are discussing Rambo Wannabes that want to hunt with there combat semi-autos

BTW your avatar really suits you.

So any person who wants to hunt with a 10mm is a Rambo wannabe? I guess anyone who hunts with an AR is a Rambo wannabe?

IronHorseman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Fort Branch
    My point is that the 10mm makes as much if not more logical sense than some of the other approved equipment to take deer with. Why should I have to hit a 100 yard target with a 10mm when a bow is an approved method of taking deer? By your standards, bows are ill equipped to take deer with. How many people can hit a 100 yard target with a 4" 357 even with a scope on it? Your argument against 10mm is purely emotional.

Nice reference to Rambos. Are you any relation to Zumbo?

Nope I can`t stand Zumbo.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Ok I have a little challengeyou guys that want to hunt with your 10mm`s. Take youur favorite 10mm to the range this weekend and hang a target at 100yds(no cheating), then post your targets here. And then we can resume this discussion.

I hesitate to try to take a deer with a SHOTGUN at 100 yards, I would never try to make that shot with a pistol. The longest shot I've ever killed a deer at was 109 yards and that was with a muzzleloader. Almost every deer I've killed while hunting has been taken under 50 yards. Several have been at under 25 yards, and one was about twenty feet.

Can people kill a deer with a shotgun at 100 yards? Sure. I don't try though. I don't have to take your challenge at 25 and 50 yards though, I already know what my group size is. I wouldn't try 100 yards with a .44 magnum pistol either. I might with a .44magnum bolt gun though.

One reason I bought a .458 socom upper was so that I could feel comfortable taking longer shots THAN I WOULD WITH A SHOTGUN. I can keep about 2moa at 100 yards with my .458 setup, which is about half the group than I can with the shotgun, and the .458 is much flatter shooting than the slugs I use for deer hunting, so ranging isn't as much of an issue, and I have 11 rounds of mall-ninja-hunter capacity available!

So, your problem is the autoloader, though as has been pointed out, autoloaders for other legal pistol cartridges are available. Oh, as has also been pointed out on a couple of occasions, revolvers are available for the 10mm. As was stated earliest in the discussion, having minimum energy requirements, rather than making arbitrary size restrictions would make more sense.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009

I USE my benchrest rifle to hunt squirrels. Head shots. 100 yards. Nearly 100% kill ratio too. I ALSO use my .22lr TARGET pistol for squirrels!:rockwoot:

And I TARGET shoot with my COMBAT pistol!:shoot:

Will the horror never end...

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Nope I can`t stand Zumbo.

Zumbo says you shouldn't have assault rifles. You say I shouldn't hunt with a 10mm. Any facts you have brought to the table as to why 10mm isn't suitable for hunting clearly aren't applicable to other approved firearms. I'm sure Zumbo feels you're a Rambo Wannabe with your AR hunting coyotes.

HK45Mark23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Newburgh
    From 10mm Auto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Performance

The 10 mm Auto falls between the .357 Magnum and the .41 Magnum in muzzle energy for popular loadings. With certain JHP bullets, these energy levels may produce an effect known as hydrostatic shock in living targets.

Usage

The 10 mm Auto is suitable for hunting medium-sized game at moderate ranges, is certainly more than adequate for defensive or tactical use, and is one of the few true semi-automatic, rimless cartridges that is legal for hunting whitetail deer in many US states.
    Today, the 10 mm Auto cartridge is generally used to fend off medium-sized dangerous animals, as a high-powered defensive handgun, and for hunting, especially by those who prefer the flatter carry profile and higher cartridge capacity of an automatic pistol versus a magnum revolver.

Lawguns

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Here's a better idea since the deer herd is a public resource to be managed for the maximum benefit of the people who buy a license to hunt them, let the people who've bought a license for 2 consecutive years vote on the rules for hunting them. Let the people who buy guns for punching holes in paper vote on the rules for paper punching sports.

Here's another one I could go with, let the people who live in Marion county vote on the rules for hunting in Marion county and all the rest of the people in the rest of the counties vote on the rules and license fees for hunting in the county where they live. Any one who don't like the rules can hunt in their own county where they, their own neighbors and their own families live.

Do I get to vote twice since I live in Marion County but I own Land in Southern Indiana for Hunting? Since my land is full of Hills can I hunt with my 308 rifle? Oh better yet lets get a depravation permit and hunt with what ever we want.

IronHorseman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Fort Branch
    I hesitate to try to take a deer with a SHOTGUN at 100 yards, I would never try to make that shot with a pistol. The longest shot I've ever killed a deer at was 109 yards and that was with a muzzleloader. Almost every deer I've killed while hunting has been taken under 50 yards. Several have been at under 25 yards, and one was about twenty feet.

Can people kill a deer with a shotgun at 100 yards? Sure. I don't try though. I don't have to take your challenge at 25 and 50 yards though, I already know what my group size is. I wouldn't try 100 yards with a .44 magnum pistol either. I might with a .44magnum bolt gun though.

One reason I bought a .458 socom upper was so that I could feel comfortable taking longer shots THAN I WOULD WITH A SHOTGUN. I can keep about 2moa at 100 yards with my .458 setup, which is about half the group than I can with the shotgun, and the .458 is much flatter shooting than the slugs I use for deer hunting, so ranging isn't as much of an issue, and I have 11 rounds of mall-ninja-hunter capacity available!

So, your problem is the autoloader, though as has been pointed out, autoloaders for other legal pistol cartridges are available. Oh, as has also been pointed out on a couple of occasions, revolvers are available for the 10mm. As was stated earliest in the discussion, having minimum energy requirements, rather than making arbitrary size restrictions would make more sense.

Pay attention I pointed out that Ruger made a limited run of wheelguns in 10mm but they are scare as hens teeth. Wildey even made autoloaders designed for hunting.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Pay attention I pointed out that Ruger made a limited run of wheelguns in 10mm but they are scare as hens teeth. Wildey even made autoloaders designed for hunting.

I was paying attention. I find the logic of your argument lacking. I also find your dismissive attitude and language regarding people you don't consider "good enough" to hunt to further erode your position.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    You guys that want to hunt with your combat guns should try the "Hunter`s Pistol" course of fire.

http://www.nrahq.org/education/training/marksmanship/qualbook.pdf#page=12

Aren't you hunting with a combat AR? That's what AR's are designed for right? Are you only using 5 round mags in it? We sure wouldn't want you unloading 30 rounds into a running coyote and kill all of humanity in the process.

All this comes down to is that you are good enough to handle it in your eyes but others aren't. I don't make presumptions about the abilities of others until they prove to me otherwise.

IronHorseman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Fort Branch
    Aren't you hunting with a combat AR? That's what AR's are designed for right? Are you only using 5 round mags in it? We sure wouldn't want you unloading 30 rounds into a running coyote and kill all of humanity in the process.

All this comes down to is that you are good enough to handle it in your eyes but others aren't. I don't make presumptions about the abilities of others until they prove to me otherwise.

Let me explain why I love the AR. It is the most versatile rifle in the world, by simple changing uppers you go from CQB, service rifle competion, long range varmint gun, brush gun etc. Plus there is that option of having calibers from 22lr to 50BMG in one gund.
    As much as I love my Glock it isn`t that versatile. It`s a great defensive sidearm and by changing the slide and magaziine it becomes a 22lr trainer/plinker but it is most certainly not a hunting gun.
    I use 30 round mags loaded with 5 rounds for hunting.

Top Bottom