• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • badmac183

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 25, 2011
    hamlet, IN
    has anyone ever tried to make one of these? using plans off the internet like this? If so how hard was it and how did it function.

<link redacted>

Last edited by a moderator:

alloyguitar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I stand corrected. I have too much faith in the human race these days. Just remember that posession of a lightning link and a rifle constitutes intent to assemble in the eyes of the atf.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    has anyone ever tried to make one of these? using plans off the internet like this? If so how hard was it and how did it function.

How are things going at ATF headquarters?

I stand corrected. I have too much faith in the human race these days. Just remember that posession of a lightning link[STRIKE] and a rifle constitutes intent to assemble[/STRIKE] is possession of a machine gun in the eyes of the atf.

FTFY

Last edited by a moderator:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    [Code of Federal Regulations]
    [Title 27, Volume 2]
    [Revised as of April 1, 2003]
    From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access
    [CITE: 27CFR479.105]

[Page 190-191]

TITLE 27--ALCOHOL, TOBACCO PRODUCTS AND FIREARMS

CHAPTER II--BUREAU OF ALCOHOL, TOBACCO, FIREARMS, AND EXPLOSIVES,
    DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE

PART 479--MACHINE GUNS, DESTRUCTIVE DEVICES, AND CERTAIN OTHER FIREARMS--Table of Contents

Subpart G--Registration and Identification of Firearms

Sec. 479.105 Transfer and possession of machine guns.

(a) General. As provided by 26 U.S.C. 5812 and 26 U.S.C. 5822, an
    application to make or transfer a firearm shall be denied if the making,
    transfer, receipt, or possession of the firearm would place the maker or
    transferee in violation of law. Section 922(o), Title 18, U.S.C., makes
    it unlawful for any person to transfer or possess a machine gun, except
    a transfer to or by, or possession by or under the authority of, the
    United States or any department or agency thereof or a State, or a
    department, agency, or political subdivision thereof; or any lawful
    transfer or lawful possession of a machine gun that was lawfully
    possessed before May 19, 1986. Therefore, notwithstanding any other
    provision of this part, no application to make, transfer, or import a
    machine gun will be approved except as provided by this section.
    (b) Machine guns lawfully possessed prior to May 19, 1986. A machine
    gun possessed in compliance with the provisions of this part prior to
    May 19, 1986, may continue to be lawfully possessed by the person to
    whom the machine gun is registered and may, upon compliance with the
    provisions of this part, be lawfully transferred to and possessed by the
    transferee.
    (c) Importation and manufacture. Subject to compliance with the
    provisions of this part, importers and manufacturers qualified under
    this part may import and manufacture machine guns on or after May 19,
    1986, for sale or distribution to any department or agency of the United
    States or any State or political subdivision thereof, or for use by
    dealers qualified under this part as sales samples as provided in
    paragraph (d) of this section. The registration of such machine guns
    under this part and their subsequent transfer shall be conditioned upon
    and restricted to the sale or distribution of such weapons for the
    official use of Federal, State or local governmental entities. Subject
    to compliance with the provisions of this part, manufacturers qualified
    under this part may manufacture machine guns on or after May 19, 1986,
    for exportation in compliance with the Arms Export Control Act (22
    U.S.C. 2778) and regulations prescribed thereunder by the Department of
    State.
    (d) Dealer sales samples. Subject to compliance with the provisions
    of this part, applications to transfer and register a machine gun
    manufactured or imported on or after May 19, 1986, to dealers qualified
    under this part will be approved if it is established by specific
    information the expected governmental customers who would require a
    demonstration of the weapon, information as to the availability of the
    machine gun to fill subsequent orders, and letters from governmental
    entities expressing a need for a particular model or interest in seeing
    a demonstration of a particular weapon. Applications to transfer more
    than one machine gun of a particular model to a dealer must also
    establish the dealer's need for the quantity of samples sought to be
    transferred.
    (e) The making of machine guns on or after May 19, 1986. Subject to
    compliance with the provisions of this part, applications to make and
    register machine guns on or after May 19, 1986, for the benefit of a
    Federal, State or local governmental entity (e.g., an invention for
    possible future use of a governmental entity or the making of a weapon
    in connection with research and development on behalf of such an entity)
    will be approved if it is established by

[[Page 191]]

specific information that the machine gun is particularly suitable for
    use by Federal, State or local governmental entities and that the making
    of the weapon is at the request and on behalf of such an entity.
    (f) Discontinuance of business. Since section 922(o), Title 18,
    U.S.C., makes it unlawful to transfer or possess a machine gun except as
    provided in the law, any qualified manufacturer, importer, or dealer
    intending to discontinue business shall, prior to going out of business,
    transfer in compliance with the provisions of this part any machine gun
    manufactured or imported after May 19, 1986, to a Federal, State or
    local governmental entity, qualified manufacturer, qualified importer,
    or, subject to the provisions of paragraph (d) of this section, dealer
    qualified to possess such, machine gun.

[T.D. ATF-270, 53 FR 10510, Mar. 31, 1988]
    In other words, if you make a machine gun after May 19, 1986 and you aren't a licensed manufacturer, it's hammer time. The BAFTE has ruled that a lightning link is considered a machine gun. The link to the instructions has been redacted from the OP.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    I have an idea! You make one full auto! Then tell us all about it. Next we wait and see how long it takes you to get caught:) No mater how smart you think you are or how well you have it planed out, to keep it a secret, you'll be showing it off to all of your buddies and get turned in or get turned in by a neighbor because they heard a machine gun going off. You already showed intent on building a illegal mg by posting the link to the lightning link page.. Now just set back and wait and see if that website was run by the atf or fbi. Maybe they will give you a few weeks to gather all the items needed to make a lighting link before you get a visit. Couple pieces of banding wire and your post on your computer bye bye buddyLOL!!!!

badmac183

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 25, 2011
    hamlet, IN
    I have an idea! You make one full auto! Then tell us all about it. Next we wait and see how long it takes you to get caught:) No mater how smart you think you are or how well you have it planed out, to keep it a secret, you'll be showing it off to all of your buddies and get turned in or get turned in by a neighbor because they heard a machine gun going off. You already showed intent on building a illegal mg by posting the link to the lightning link page.. Now just set back and wait and see if that website was run by the atf or fbi. Maybe they will give you a few weeks to gather all the items needed to make a lighting link before you get a visit. Couple pieces of banding wire and your post on your computer bye bye buddyLOL!!!!

I was rotfl when i was reading this :laugh6::laugh6::laugh6::laugh6:

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Logically couldn't he have been referring to a 07/02 making one? If my understanding is right it would be a post sample, but would still be legal...

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    Logically couldn't he have been referring to a 07/02 making one? If my understanding is right it would be a post sample, but would still be legal...

Logically if thats what he meant he could have said so! Posting plans and video of altering a firearm illegaly spells loser! Anyone capable of legaly manufacturing a lightning link or rdias already know's how. Op shouldnt be making waves for the rest of us who one day want to own a legal registered drop in auto sear or legal lightning link.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Logically if thats what he meant he could have said so! Posting plans and video of altering a firearm illegaly spells loser! Anyone capable of legaly manufacturing a lightning link or rdias already know's how. Op shouldnt be making waves for the rest of us who one day want to own a legal registered drop in auto sear or legal lightning link.

Not everyone knows the laws, it was a simple question that has been answered. No reason to assume he was up to no good.

Also this is still America, it isn't illegal to speak of making an illegal machinegun yet. It is just illegal to make an illegal machinegun.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009

Not NECESSARILY true, though I'm not judging this case. Lots of people who have just gotten their 02 SOT ask on ar15.com about making things that the average guy couldn't make. You have to start somewhere.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    I've been curious about this as well, but can't seem to find the specific information I need. I could make one easily enough, but I'm just not going to do that. However, I have been curious lately (Just submitted my first form 1 recently) what do you have to do to be able to legally make a FA. I ask because I'd love to have one and if I recall once you get that stamp barrel length doesn't matter on a MG.?

If I'm building a new rifle, why not go for the FA also for my SBR with just one stamp? Is it just another form for FA with a $200 stamp? And is there any way to legally go FA without dropping $1000's?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I've been curious about this as well, but can't seem to find the specific information I need. I could make one easily enough, but I'm just not going to do that. However, I have been curious lately (Just submitted my first form 1 recently) what do you have to do to be able to legally make a FA. I ask because I'd love to have one and if I recall once you get that stamp barrel length doesn't matter on a MG.?

If I'm building a new rifle, why not go for the FA also for my SBR with just one stamp? Is it just another form for FA with a $200 stamp? And is there any way to legally go FA without dropping $1000's?

You can't build your own full-auto unless you are a SOT (in other words, in the business of manufacturing and selling firearms). Thanks to the Hughes Amendment to the Firearm Owners Protection Act, the subjects to the Crown are no longer allowed to produce or own any machine gun made after 1986. The only way for for us to own a machine gun is to buy a transferable MG manufactured and registered prior to 1986. That's why they're so expensive. The supply is permanently fixed unless and until that stupid amendment is repealed.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    You can't build your own full-auto unless you are a SOT (in other words, in the business of manufacturing and selling firearms). Thanks to the Hughes Amendment to the Firearm Owners Protection Act, the subjects to the Crown are no longer allowed to produce or own any machine gun made after 1986. The only way for for us to own a machine gun is to buy a transferable MG manufactured and registered prior to 1986. That's why they're so expensive. The supply is permanently fixed unless and until that stupid amendment is repealed.

OK, so all these videos I see all the time (even of a lot of our INGO guys) are either using old M16 Lowers or some older manf weapon? I just recently thought I saw some FA .22 on here?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    OK, so all these videos I see all the time (even of a lot of our INGO guys) are either using old M16 Lowers or some older manf weapon? I just recently thought I saw some FA .22 on here?

Some of them are post-86 dealer samples. For example, some of our advertisers are Class 3 dealers and they have access to post-86 machine guns. They are licensed to resell these to law-enforcement agencies under their SOT license. Some of those post-1986 samples will be at NFA Day this year and will be available to shoot (but not to purchase). Others are pre-86 transferable machine guns that have been caliber-converted, like dropping a Ceiner .22 conversion kit into an AR-15. The Ceiner kit isn't the "gun" part, the AR-15 lower is the "gun".

If you had a registered machine gun and there existed a .22 kit for it, you could shoot .22 full-auto through it.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    Some of them are post-86 dealer samples. For example, some of our advertisers are Class 3 dealers and they have access to post-86 machine guns. They are licensed to resell these to law-enforcement agencies under their SOT license. Some of those post-1986 samples will be at NFA Day this year and will be available to shoot (but not to purchase). Others are pre-86 transferable machine guns that have been caliber-converted, like dropping a Ceiner .22 conversion kit into an AR-15. The Ceiner kit isn't the "gun" part, the AR-15 lower is the "gun".

If you had a registered machine gun and there existed a .22 kit for it, you could shoot .22 full-auto through it.

Gotcha! (now to begin planning for that FA lower!!)

Top Bottom